Does your work support your lifestyle? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:12 PM
My company does support domestic partners. Could not imagine it not supporting them.

Interesting enough...our comany just went through a dependent verification program. It mainly got rid of a lot of the "children" who were far too old to be getting benefits (health AND pass travel). It is supposed to save the company millions. Anyone else go through this (yet)?

I had no one to verify.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:12 PM
I'm not understanding the question. What do you mean 'support' your lifestyle? Why would they care if you are gay/in a de facto/married etc?

Old 07-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #33
The Fly

Local Time: 12:12 AM
My company pays 100% of full time employees health care costs, and offers Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance even to part-time employees at $17/wk. with $5 co-pays on doctor visits and prescriptions.

It also includes domestic partnership benefits for gay couples (under certain conditions - both over 18, live together a year, and both meet with the head of the company and sign a pledge that you intend on being together for life). Also, gay marriage must be illegal to qualify.

In the 10 years I've been there, I haven't yet had a chance to take advantage of domestic partner benefits because unfortunately the opportunity hasn't presented itself in my personal life, but I stay there in great part because of that.

I want to work for a company that isn't going to give me a hard time because I'm gay, and if they treat me equal to heterosexuals (as they do), even better. Being gay has nothing to do with my work. I work in advertising and sales and am very good at it.

I work with Catholics, Protestants, Pagans, Agnostics and Atheists. Some coworkers ask me about my boyfriend and my personal life, and I tell them. Others never ask, and I don't mention it to them very much, but if they ask me how my weekend was and I went somewhere special with my boyfriend, I tell them. No big deal.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
I'm not understanding the question. What do you mean 'support' your lifestyle? Why would they care if you are gay/in a de facto/married etc?
I think support in this case means does the company provide benefits to domestic partners (as opposed to only officially married -- ie heterosexual -- couples).

(In the US, most people get things such as health, vision, and dental insurance through their places of employment. Sorry if you already knew that. )
Old 07-13-2005, 01:01 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I think support in this case means does the company provide benefits to domestic partners (as opposed to only officially married -- ie heterosexual -- couples).

(In the US, most people get things such as health, vision, and dental insurance through their places of employment. Sorry if you already knew that. )

beli, ^ indra hit the nail on the head here....that's what I was trying to figure out from this thread's question....
Thanks indra.