Does the US try to blackmail the UN? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2004, 09:37 AM   #1
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Does the US try to blackmail the UN?

The UN security council refused to continue the practice of one country (US) being more equal than others.
The US soldiers had imunity at the ICC for one year which was extended for one year. Now the US tried to extend it again which is obviousely verry controversial because of Guantamo Bay and the Iraq war.
Other nations try to remember the US that the lack of imunity is only symbolic because there is only international prosecution if there is no prosecution inside the US (Which might be valid for mercenaries who are not under military courts or US courts)

Now the US stops its efforts and emediately announces to rethink the support of international UN commitments.

"(the US) need to take into account the risk of ICC review when determining contributions to UN authorised or established operations"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3835193.stm
Quote:
The US has previously threatened to veto UN peacekeeping operations if its demands for exemption from prosecution by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague were not met.
edited to add:

The job of the ICC isg
to justice those responsible for:
- genocide
-crimes against humanity
-and war crimes
committed anywhere in the world.

It is a court of last resort, intervening only when national authorities cannot or will not prosecute.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

If they┤re trying to blackmail the UN, it doesn┤t seem to be working. The US didn't even put their resolution up for a vote because it was obvious it wasn't going to make it thanks to Gitmo and Abu Graib.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:57 AM
There's a headline in today's paper about the U.S. not putting up its resolution. I was never in favor of U.S. immunity from war crimes prosecution. Sure, politics happens, but it was absolutely out of the question after the prison abuse scandal. If you commit a crime, you should have to pay, I don't care who it is.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:57 AM
How do you distinguish in principle between "blackmail" and political negotiations that otherwise take place at the UN?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Give it up NBC you know we are evil and everything that goes wrong is our fault.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #6
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
nbcrusader:
Well the topic was simply to catch your attention

U2Kitten: No it's not allways the fault of the US but if you look at the icc (which was also supported by the US some years ago) i can't see ANY good reason why the current administration does everything they can to reduce the influense and the power of the ICC
Old 06-24-2004, 12:36 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

If a democrat you guys liked were in office and all this happened would you still be bringing up 'the administration?' I'm sure shady stuff went on under Clinton too, under all presidents. But somehow if he is a liberal everyone lets it all go. That is unless he gets a BJ from an intern then it's big news.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:44 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
If a democrat you guys liked were in office and all this happened would you still be bringing up 'the administration?' I'm sure shady stuff went on under Clinton too, under all presidents. But somehow if he is a liberal everyone lets it all go. That is unless he gets a BJ from an intern then it's big news.
That's simply not true. Look at the Nader thread. Deomcrats and Nader, topics don't come more liberal than that. But is it being ignored, or condemned?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
Refugee

U2Kitten:
sure, i don't care how a president looks like or on which side he claims to stand.
I care about honesty - the difference of what they say and what they do.

I really appreciate it that Mr. Bush promised more for AIDS victims i think he's absolutely right that Terrorism is a the danger of todays society but i don't close my eyes when he's obviousely wrong and sometimes i have a verry bad feeling about the motivations behind his actions.
Can you tell me a good reason why the US does everything they can to stop the ICC from working? The ICC could be the best weapon against international terrorism.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
The ICC could be the best weapon against international terrorism.
The United States have always had a history of distrusting other countries, even their allies. Not automatically a bad thing, but sometimes it just borderlines paranoia and stands in the way of an effective co-operation. I hope it's worth it.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:53 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Why does every thread at the moment seem to descend into "you just think all Americans are evil" or "you just hate Bush" after about five posts?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Bring some balance to it Fizz...LOL

Klaus, I admit I read the title and did not want to even read the content. It did not make me want to read it.

I believe our soldiers should be subject to our laws....since they do not take an oath to honor the worlds laws, but the constitution of the US.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:54 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Why does every thread at the moment seem to descend into "you just think all Americans are evil" or "you just hate Bush" after about five posts?
Because that's the way a lot of posts come off around here, and someone notices it. No matter what happens, it all comes back to, 'this adiminstration' did or didn't do this, must be doing that, can't blame the Iraqis for that when the Americans did this and it's very tiring. No America is not perfect yes it makes mistakes. But it's hardly to blame for every evil and wrong in the world, directly or indirectly, as it looks like here. So yeah I've gotten all cynical over it. So yeah I'm gonna try to avoid this forum.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:29 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Bring some balance to it Fizz...LOL
But...it doesn't bring balance to the discussion, does it? Your post does - you stated that you don't think US soldiers should be subject to the ICC and you briefly explained why. Admittedly I disagree with you, but I do think your post is adding something to the discussion. I don't understand how merely responding to any criticism of the Bush administration's policies with some variation on the "you just hate Bush" argument is adding balance or anything else to the debate. Perhaps that's just me.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Perhaps a member got tired of the anti-GWB snipes that don't add anything to the discussion?

Either way, we've got to deal with a broad base of opinions and levels of engagement.

Overall, it is still a good place.