Does the US try to blackmail the UN? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2004, 06:08 PM   #16
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:11 AM
Dreadsox:
as i mentioned in my 1st posting
Quote:
It is a court of last resort, intervening only when national authorities cannot or will not prosecute
So as long as there are laws in the US and the US justice system is doing its job like now noone has to be affraid of the ICC.
It's only "bad" for people who think that they are above all laws or people who found holes in the justice system (mercenaries for example)

all:
i encurage everyone not to defend or be upset about someone because of the person or his party but because of the actions.

Old 06-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
If a democrat you guys liked were in office and all this happened would you still be bringing up 'the administration?' I'm sure shady stuff went on under Clinton too, under all presidents. But somehow if he is a liberal everyone lets it all go. That is unless he gets a BJ from an intern then it's big news.
Wow you just don't get it do you? How are you comparing sex with a nation trying to avoid liability for its actions?

Quote:
No matter what happens, it all comes back to, 'this adiminstration' did or didn't do this, must be doing that, can't blame the Iraqis for that when the Americans did this and it's very tiring.
And why would we blame Iraq for our actions? I'm very curious...why are we once again comparing ourselves to Iraq, or terrorist, or whatever. The U.S. claims moral superiority and acts as the world police so they better sure as hell take liabilty when they screw up. It's pretty simple.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:51 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Why does every thread at the moment seem to descend into "you just think all Americans are evil" or "you just hate Bush" after about five posts?
People aren't objecting when someone disagrees with America and/or Bush, people are objecting when someone chooses to assume the worst about the intentions/motives/heart of America and/or Bush.

For example, this thread begins with a very unflattering allegation towards the U.S. of blackmail in its title, and even your own post signature (the Mark Twain quote) seems to be a personal attack on the character of President Bush ("...will invent cheap lies...", etc...) rather than a respectful disagreement of his policy decisions.

In other words, if we stick to the issues, we'll minimize that kind of reaction, but when we make things personal, people are going to assume that we have a prejudicial axe to grind.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:13 AM   #19
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
TheFirstBigW:
It would be wonderful if we could talk about the politics of the US instead of playing the "you love/you hate bush" game.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:38 AM   #20
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
How do you distinguish in principle between "blackmail" and political negotiations that otherwise take place at the UN?
there is a grey area indeed

Quote:
Klaus
Now the US stops its efforts
it doesn't seem like there is much room for negotiations though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-25-2004, 07:46 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Old 06-25-2004, 12:24 PM   #22
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
TheFirstBigW:
It would be wonderful if we could talk about the politics of the US instead of playing the "you love/you hate bush" game.
I appreciate your sentiment.

I also saw your previous post in which you acknowledge that you wrote the title of this thread mainly for the purpose of catching people's attention, and while I have no doubt it worked, the downside is that its incindiary nature stirs up a lot of strife in people before they even begin to read what you have to say, so I guess its benefits are a bit of a trade-off.

But I can appreciate the fact that you care so much about these issues that you're willing to carry on these debates.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:35 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Wow you just don't get it do you? How are you comparing sex with a nation trying to avoid liability for its actions?

I wasn't! I was only saying that nobody noticed or cared about anything while Clinton was in because he was on 'their side' so he was okay and no one picked at him.

The BJ thing was just a joke! I'm not saying it was the worst thing he did in office, I'm saying he surely did quite a bit he'd have been bashed for had he been a republican.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:26 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The BJ thing was just a joke! I'm not saying it was the worst thing he did in office, I'm saying he surely did quite a bit he'd have been bashed for had he been a republican.
But would he have feared impeachment then?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:32 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Of course not! That was the joke, that getting a hummer was the most terrible thing a president could do. I'm sure he did worse.

Did you ever hear the rumor that every President gets 3 'hits?' Somebody told me that and that his hits were McDowell, ('heart problem' which could be brought on my certain medicines) Foster (suicide, or was it? ) and Ron Brown (plane crash, but some say he was shot in the back before the plane crashed and because his body did not burn, this was discovered) Who are Bush's alleged 'hits?" I've heard that congressman from Minnesota who died in the private plane crash, and the British guy who gave Iraq-WMD info that turned out to be false, found with his wrists slit. Do you all believe all these things are conspiracy theories? Any chance there's something to it?

But again, if Bill really did have 3 hits, why is Hillary still alive?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:53 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Ah U2Kitten you have forgotten the number 1 rule - in politics you have to make compromises.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:14 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFirstBigW
your own post signature (the Mark Twain quote) seems to be a personal attack on the character of President Bush ("...will invent cheap lies...", etc...) rather than a respectful disagreement of his policy decisions.
I think you're giving Bush too much credit: I would never describe him as a statesman.

Actually I chose my signature because I find it intriguing that a comment written by Mark Twain nearly a century ago is so relevant today. Although, had I been thinking of a particular politician when I chose the quote, it was more likely to have been Tony Blair and not, as you assume, George Bush.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:25 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:

I wasn't! I was only saying that nobody noticed or cared about anything while Clinton was in because he was on 'their side' so he was okay and no one picked at him.
You can't be serious! Clinton was hounded by the conservatives and the press from the second he announced his candidacy to the second he left office. If it wasn't some supposed sex scandal, it was Whitewater. If it wasn't some conspiracy theory about a man who committed suicide, it was moaning that his staff were all Hollywood liberal elitist types. Have you forgotten the week after week after week of headlines about Whitewater, and the way that when Clinton was found to have done nothing wrong, the media printed it as a sentence or two on page 37. Have you forgotten the way the mainstream media picked up ridiculous stories being run by tabloids with no credibility whatsoever?

Sure Bush gets his share of criticism in the press, but to pretend that the media gave Clinton an easy time is just ignoring the facts.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:28 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
Actually I chose my signature because I find it intriguing that a comment written by Mark Twain nearly a century ago is so relevant today.
What is it with these oldies? We have Mark Twain here, some Orwell there, etc. And all those quotes seem so relevant today.

Marty (and now back to our regularly scheduled discussion)
Old 06-25-2004, 02:36 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:11 PM
I think that its rather more humorous when people will quote Orwell out of context proving that they are the utter baffons that he was describing with the original quote.