Does Playing Evil Mean You Are Evil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AEON

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
There is an article in the current Newsweek about World of Warcraft. In the article I read this -

"Edward Castronova (Level 42, Priest), an Indiana U professor and author of "Synthetic Worlds," once roiled the WOW community by a blog posting entitled "The Horde Is Evil," in which he charged that only the antisocial at heart would pick that darker side. Castronova believes that if someone behaves badly in the game—an example would be the WOW equivalent of spree killing, where someone ganks a character of a much lower level, just for the hell of it—that person should be judged harshly in the real world as well."

I don't know if I agree with him, but I do have a level 50 Paladin and wouldn't dream of joining the Horde.

Do you think that playing an evil character in a video game means that you are "evil" in real life (or at least tend to be) - or is it a way to carry out evil without consequence.

It's a very interesting article and WOW is only the beginning of the MMO inroad into society.Link to article - worth reading

Last edited:
from the article, I almost had a heart attack laughing at this:

"Another event that bothered Blizzard's management was an in-game protest march, when hundreds of naked Gnomes gathered to call for more powers."

:lmao:

Does playing the role of Hitler in a movie make one evil?

I've never got or understood role playing games, but have a very close friend who meets and has game night 2 or 3 times a week. I still haven't quite got an explanation that I truly understand, but have a slight grasp.

It's a game. And I know many will argue that games can desythesize, but how is it different from acting, or a writer/song writer who places themself in a character, or even someone who spends a lifetime studying "evil"?

I definitely think that in RPG's the choices and paths that one takes will depend on their character, of course it only works when there is an engrossing storyline and gameplay.

For those who cannot distinguish between relaity and make-believe, then it's possibly true. Otherwise, I think any sane and rational person can let imagination out to play occasionally with no deeper meaning or consequence.

Angela Harlem said:
For those who cannot distinguish between relaity and make-believe, then it's possibly true. Otherwise, I think any sane and rational person can let imagination out to play occasionally with no deeper meaning or consequence.

:up:

elegantly stating the obvious.

Angela Harlem said:

I generally agree with you here. But I do think it will be more and more difficult to distinguish between the reality and make believe as games like this benefit from more advanced technology.

At times, when I play WOW, I do feel absorbed into another world.

AEON said:

At times, when I play WOW, I do feel absorbed into another world.

if you're having difficultly remebering that it's just pretend, perhaps you shouldn't play it so much?

Irvine511 said:

if you're having difficultly remebering that it's just pretend, perhaps you shouldn't play it so much?

There's a difference between "feeling absorbed into another world" and "having difficulty remembering that it's just pretend". Maybe to people who don't play videogames, they won't understand completely...but have you ever gotten super immersed into a good book or movie that sometimes you almost get thrown off as you take your eyes away and look at what's actually around you?

Bonochick said:

There's a difference between "feeling absorbed into another world" and "having difficulty remembering that it's just pretend". Maybe to people who don't play videogames, they won't understand completely...but have you ever gotten super immersed into a good book or movie that sometimes you almost get thrown off as you take your eyes away and look at what's actually around you?

That's exactly it. And video games, especially RPG's, can capture your imagination even more than books and movies because they require you to interact.

I don't play WOW as much as I used to. Work, family, National Guard, and occasionally FYM take up most of my free time these days. But I do miss it.

Bonochick said:
but have you ever gotten super immersed into a good book or movie that sometimes you almost get thrown off as you take your eyes away and look at what's actually around you?

as a child, yes.

i did nearly have a panic attack the first time i say "Private Ryan" in the theaters, and i didn't answer the phone the first time i rented "Do The Right Thing."

but i can't say i've ever felt like i was in another world. the closest thing i can imagine to that is whenever i've taken deep, long naps in the afternoon and done some lucid dreaming, which can be very intense.

AEON said:
I don't play WOW as much as I used to. Work, family, National Guard, and occasionally FYM take up most of my free time these days. But I do miss it.

Up until now, your posts concerned me in a way I couldn't quite put my finger on, particularly as regards your seemingly callous disregard for the tens of thousands of people murdered in the cause of your 'War on Terror'.

I now understand, and I'm even more concerned.

financeguy said:

Up until now, your posts concerned me in a way I couldn't quite put my finger on, particularly as regards your seemingly callous disregard for the tens of thousands of people murdered in the cause of your 'War on Terror'.

That I play World of Warcraft?

financeguy said:

And the only people I know who were "murdered" in the war on terror were the 3,000 American civilians on 9-11.

AEON said:

And the only people I know who were "murdered" in the war on terror were the 3,000 American civilians on 9-11.

This shows that what you think you know -
is wrong.

Last edited:
The American military could fight this war without taking any casualties (or very few). Because we go out out of our way to NOT KILL civilians is the reason so many of our troops have died. I know EXACTLY what I am talking about. Despite losing 17 men in Iraq, my unit showed incredible restraint and professionalism.

Any threat to our forces could easily be eliminated - but it would cost the lives of many innocent people, so we hold back.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Talk about armchair warriors.

Last edited:
AEON said:
The American military could fight this war without taking any casualties (or very few). Because we go out out of our way to NOT KILL civilians is the reason so many of our troops have died. I know EXACTLY what I am talking about. Despite losing 17 men in Iraq, my unit showed incredible restraint and professionalism.

Any threat to our forces could easily be eliminated - but it would cost the lives of many innocent people, so we hold back.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

3000 Americans were not killed on 9-11-2001

Way too many
people have died
are dying
and will continue to be killed

because misrepresentations, exaggerations, half-truths, whole lies, and jingoistic worthless false patriotism

feature-2.jpg
The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted."

deep said:
Way too many
people have died
are dying
and will continue to be killed

I agree with this.

deep said:

because misrepresentations, exaggerations, half-truths, whole lies, and jingoistic worthless false patriotism

I assure you that my patriotism is not jingoistict, worthless, or false.

BTW - my Paladin in World of Warcraft is willing to die (and he dies very, very often) for the Alliance. The Hunters, Warriors, and Mages all see the worth in this.

AEON said:

I intensely disagree with this sentiment. And I suspect you do as well, if you are a republican. Or, infact, anyone, really. It's only really used in debates when someone throws out their sensitive real life situation and implies "Go on, dare you to criticise and be insensitive enough to insult my very real experience', etc. I think we can say with absolute certainty that not everyone who experiences war in the military understands the truths of war, nor does someone who has never undertaken a posting in their lives necessarily lack an absolute understanding of it.

Back
Top Bottom