Does Hypocracy make one wrong? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2003, 11:58 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:48 AM
Does Hypocracy make one wrong?

I have been thinking about this for a week now. I have been thinking about Rush. While I do not agree with every word the man has spoken, and I am sure many of you here do not agree with many things he has said, it is apparent that he has made comments that I still find to be true about drugs.

[Q]"There's nothing good about drug use. We know it. It destroys individuals. It destroys families. Drug use destroys societies. Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. And the laws are good because we know what happens to people in societies and neighborhoods which become consumed by them. And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up."[/Q]

I find nothing wrong with this statement.It seems to make sense to me. Yes it definitely makes him a hypocrite, but does that change the fact that the words he spoke on the topic were correct?

[Q]Even though blacks and whites break the drug laws in roughly equal percentages, he noted, black druggies go to prison far more often than white druggies do. But to the liberal-bashing host, this was no reason to ease up on blacks.

"What this says to me," he told his listeners that day, "is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."[/Q]

It is interesting that while many here claim he is a racist, his take is not that of a racist. Are these words wrong? Is the answer to let people out of jail or to punish everyone equally?

[Q]"What is missing in the drug fight," he said, "is legalization. If we want to go after drugs with the same fervor and intensity with which we go after cigarettes, let's legalize drugs. Legalize the manufacture of drugs. License the Cali cartel. Make them taxpayers and then sue them. Sue them left and right and then get control of the price and generate tax revenue from it. Raise the price sky high and fund all sorts of other wonderful social programs."[/Q]

he said this in 1998. Interesting idea.

Just curious.....does his hypocracy change the truth in the words he spoke?

Old 10-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Does the hypocricy change the truth in the words spoken? No, but it makes them harder to believe, especially those who look up to him. He may be speaking the truth but he's lying as he's doing it. He won't serve time. He broke the law, but his celebrity status will get him a fine or maybe even community service. He won't live by his own words on this one. This makes him a man of absolutely no integrity in my book.

Old 10-11-2003, 01:23 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Yes, this creates a credibility problem. He said this stuff about drugs and then turned right around and engaged in some inappropriate behavior concerning these same substances. I don't give a damn if it's "illegal" or "legal" drugs. What's the difference? Many illegal drugs of today used to be legal. They were used as painkillers. They were considered "miracle drugs" until scientists and governments discovered they carried a new evil: addiction. Would you believe they originally made heroin as an "alternative" to opium and morphine after they discovered opiates were addicting, only to find out they'd created the Addicting Drug From Hell? If I got busted doing this I'd probably be headed to the slammer. A celebrity? Nah. Community service. This *is* his third time to rehab, so it's not like he hasn't tried to do something about it. It's still inconsistent.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:51 PM   #4
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 11:48 AM
verte76: excelent
Old 10-11-2003, 04:10 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I would venture a guess that there is no person in the world who is an idiot 100% of the time. Everybody has something of value to add at some point in their lives, even if it's only 5 minutes in the span of 80 years.

Unfortunately for Rush, it is not in our nature to compartmentalize human behaviours. We look at a human being as an overall person - are they good? Do they do service in their communities, do they strive to be the best they can be, do they wish others no harm, etc, etc. Rush, IMO, is a man of little integrity and few positive qualities. Yes, he may be right at times, but overall, he is not a man I would ever think highly of.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

It's tough to consider someone who's guilty of this kind of duplicity "virtuous".
Old 10-11-2003, 05:37 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Rush, IMO, is a man of little integrity and few positive qualities.
I guess you are saying Rush is an idiot. It was obvious you felt this way about the man yesterday when you accused him, without evidence, of ONLY going into rehab because he wished to avoid jail time. You also failed to acknowledge the fact that he has been trying to beat this with two other trips to rehab.

I posted quotes in relation to drug use. One which VERY clearly demonstrates his disappointment that white people are not being prosecuted in the same maner as black people.

Does his drug use invalid the quotes I have posted?
Old 10-11-2003, 06:01 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Dread, I don't think what he did completely invalidates his statements. It's true that whites and blacks aren't getting the same sort of justice in regards to drug abuse. Also, he wasn't using recreational drugs for the hell of it. Spinal pain, trust me, is real, it's unforgiving and it really sucks. This is his third time in rehab, so he's been fighting this battle for years. I have to wonder how I'll handle it if it gets bad enough for me to have to have surgery on this. I don't like hypocrisy either. But there's a difference in going to a pot party and having spinal problems.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:30 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I guess you are saying Rush is an idiot. It was obvious you felt this way about the man yesterday when you accused him, without evidence, of ONLY going into rehab because he wished to avoid jail time. You also failed to acknowledge the fact that he has been trying to beat this with two other trips to rehab.
What the hell???

I never said any of those things.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Sorry Anitram...I owe you an apology. It was someone else. got my posts confused.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Its the pain killers...LOL
Old 10-11-2003, 06:33 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I will now sing FERNANDO on top of my lungs!
Old 10-11-2003, 06:34 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:48 AM
His quotes are not invalidated by his addiction. There is no evidence he has requested special leniancy from the system he supports.

We must be careful not to recklessly throw the label "hypocrite" around every time there is an apparent contridiction between someone's statements and their actions. Otherwise, we might all as well stamp ourselves with the hypocrite label, because none of us are perfect.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:49 PM   #14
War Child

I think the fact that he "chose" to treat his pain with drugs (that he surely knew were addictive) rather than try surgery again speaks volumes. Maybe more than one procedure was neccessary. Being an addict isn't shameful, being a hypocrite (especially in such a HUGE way) about it is.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:08 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
His quotes are not invalidated by his addiction. There is no evidence he has requested special leniancy from the system he supports.

We must be careful not to recklessly throw the label "hypocrite" around every time there is an apparent contridiction between someone's statements and their actions. Otherwise, we might all as well stamp ourselves with the hypocrite label, because none of us are perfect.
Very true. I agree 100%.