Does Bono even understand how philosophical he can be? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:11 PM
i've always taken that line -- probably the line, along with "i still haven't found what i'm looking for," that bono will be most remembered for -- in exactly the same way that you do, only i think it's Bono trying to do that "titanium soul/love" thing. it's one thing to say let's love everybody because we're all human. that's kind of the hippie-dippy thing to say, "smile on your brother/ everybody get together/ try to love one another," but that glosses over real, legitimate differences between races, genders, nations, religions, etc.

it's far more difficult, but ultimately more rewarding, to love people not because of what you have in common but also because of what makes you different.

so, yeah, i agree with you.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

it's far more difficult, but ultimately more rewarding, to love people not because of what you have in common but also because of what makes you different.

This has to be one of the best comments made here in FYM. That is so, so true.
If we work at it, the differences can actually serve as a stronger glue connecting us.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:03 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
Should we tolerate the KKK?
Should we bother to "carry" them?
I'm not sure I know the answers.
noam chomsky would do anything in his power to allow neo-nazi's to demonstrate their belief that the hollocaust never happened.

obviously, as a 7ew, he feels quite differently than they do.

to limit freedom of speach is to not believe in it at all. we 7ust have to hope people respect the responsibility that entails, and that it's not abused solely for the purpose of "excercising their right" to free speech.

i'm not sure i agree with any of you on anything. everyone's different from the next person... but obviously it's to varying degrees. at what degree does someone become "too different" to accept?

it's all about respect. while i'm all for freedom of speech, i believe the line needs to be drawn where imminent and immediate violence is either being provoked, or promoted.

that's almost an ironic statement. maybe i should delete that.

maybe i shouldn't.

i won't.

it's too late. if only people knew what i was trying to say...
Old 04-29-2006, 03:31 AM   #19
Refugee

yeah, essentially i believe that the only thing a person can't be allowed to say is "fire!" in a crowded theatre (without there being an actual fire).
Old 04-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

we're one, and ultimately we are all the same.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #21
Refugee

^Okay, from the standpoint that are DNA is practically the same, we're one. However, unless we appreciate the differences, ultimately we will not come together as a cohesive group.
Progress isn't looking past the differences, it's celebrating the differences.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:50 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

why should i have to celebrate that he's black, i'm chinese, and you're latino? why should i have to celebrate that i'm bi, she's gay, and you're straight? these "differences" are exactly what's being used to divide us. we should look past them and realize we are all the same. race, sexuality, etc. should not be a factor in how we relate to each other. obviously we are all different in our own ways...personalities, interests, aptitudes, etc...which is great, no one wants a world of clones. but the more we are able to act as one cohesive group the better off we'll be.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:03 AM   #23
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Demonstrating love does not always mean showing approval.

And besides, if we don't let neo-nazi's or the KKK speak, how can we know how rediculous their arguments are?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #24
Refugee

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Se7en
why should i have to celebrate that he's black, i'm chinese, and you're latino? why should i have to celebrate that i'm bi, she's gay, and you're straight? these "differences" are exactly what's being used to divide us. we should look past them and realize we are all the same. race, sexuality, etc. should not be a factor in how we relate to each other. obviously we are all different in our own ways...personalities, interests, aptitudes, etc...which is great, no one wants a world of clones. but the more we are able to act as one cohesive group the better off we'll be. [/QUOTE

I remember in high school being forced to attend lame cultural awareness assemblies. They were corny and boring. Celebrating diversity, for me, doesn't mean organizing some lame cultural assembly.
What's the point in claiming we are all the same? Are we really? How is my daily life at all similar to a child from northern Uganda who nightly tries to escape being kidnapped by the LRA? How is my relationship the same as a relationship a lesbian might have? She has to face many other obstacles that I can't even fathom. Ignoring the differences will not get us anywhere. It's too hippie. Horrah, horray. Real love is about accepting that there are differences and appreciating the differences. We may not even like some of the differences initially; nevertheless, we still have to carry each other.
What's more amazing and powerful, a group of Christians coming together to fight poverty, or a group of Christians, Hollywood elites, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews etc. coming together to fight poverty?