Does anyone else think this is hypocritical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
People who claim to be pro-life yet support the death penalty(most Republicans)?

Hope I don't offend anyone here. But this is one thing that pisses me off.

Yes, it pisses me off too.
Now duck, cos you're gonna get some shit from some of our more conservative members out there. I won't be here to cover your back; there's no rational way of discussing this subject with some of the men in here.
Good Luck.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

Originally posted by mikal:
People who claim to be pro-life yet support the death penalty(most Republicans)?

Hope I don't offend anyone here. But this is one thing that pisses me off.

To quote Dennis Miller:
"I guess it's all in the timing, eh George?"
(referring to former president Bush)

------------------
Nate

"Sometimes I feel like I dont' know
Sometimes I feel like checking out
I wanna get it wrong
Can't Always be strong
And love it won't be long..."

-Ultraviolet

While I personally don't believe in the death penalty (if it's at all possible to execute even one innocent person, I say scrap the whole thing), I don't think you can draw a comparison. It's perfectly logical for someone to be anti-abortion but believe in the death penalty. Here's why. If someone is against abortion, then having an abortion to them is purposely executing a baby that you know is innocent. Whereas, in an execution, the person has been tried by a group of peers and found guilty of murder. That person, more likely than not, is indeed guilty. So no, it's not hypocritical at all, really.

It's always convenient to be able to lump a certain group of people or ideology as "hypocritical," when in fact everyone has their own hypocricies on one issue or another.

~U2Alabama

I don't believe we as humans have the right to decide when anyone dies; guilty or innocent! I don't want to go all religious here but I think a higher power should decide. Not us.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
It's always convenient to be able to lump a certain group of people or ideology as "hypocritical," when in fact everyone has their own hypocricies on one issue or another.

~U2Alabama

So true! What do you think mikal?

There's a saying,
"Don't confuse a what a person is, with the actions this person has taken."

...something like that.

I believe it's more of a Christian saying, in that, it recognizes that EACH life is precious. Each living human being IS a child of God... no matter what actions that person has taken. Therefore, each human life should be treasured and not destroyed.

Very hard thinking to follow... especially when we are so high and mighty and want vengeance.

Part 2:

We want blood. We want revenge. "You took my little girl's life, so now YOU don't deserve to live. The state will now handle this in a very 'humane' way."

Again, my beliefs are based on the teachings of Jesus Christ, so if you are not Christian, or you "read" the Gospels in another way, well, maybe that's why you might not agree.

I feel Jesus came into this world with many "new laws", "new commands"... a new covenant.
He never took a life, yet saved many, including an adultress who by law" should have been stoned to death... Because... IT WAS the law of Moses, after all. He even saved the soul of a "death penalty Monster" who was dying right by his side!! How crazy is that!???

"Let God be God."

IF we blieve in a just and loving God, how can we notthink that He WILL take care of business!? From giving that aborted baby, or murdered innocent victim, a just and glorious afterlife, to dealing with EVERY unrepentant sinner and murderer.

But we want to see it. We want to know it FOR SURE.

We want to witness the "monster" die.

"Closure".

Really? Are you sure???

Have you not "become the monster" too now?

and the debate continues...

Peace

Trash Can! You couldn't have said it any better!

I actually agree with U2Bama's statement. But I'm not trying hold myself above anyone. I'm just stating my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom