Does anyone else find this more than a little disturbing?? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
And PLEASE don't put words in my mouth. When did I EVER say anything about it being ok for men to mould women? I never did. I just said thin women are generally more attractive.
Uh, gee, I don't know...

Quote:
I don't understand how it's stupid to have a narrow view of who's attractive. It can't be helped. If you're going to take the blame off of women for doing stupid things because society expects it of them maybe you should consider the fact that men find thin women attractive because society says thin women are attractive.
"Men find thin women attractive because society says thin women are attractive." Are men suddenly not part of society?

You said it's not stupid to have a narrow view of women's attractiveness. Uh, it is. Especially considering it's not usually a "view" but an expectation.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:44 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
Yes well, thanks for your comments. In the first place, this thread was about that sort of extreme modification, not stereotypes of attractiveness. Hence I posted the link to the pic and the articles. That is what I was banging on about in particular. Not the rest of it. As anyone who had followed the link and then read my comments would have understood.
Well maybe if you actually paid attention to what I was talking about you wouldn't have had a conniption fit on me.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:52 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Uh, gee, I don't know...

"Men find thin women attractive because society says thin women are attractive." Are men suddenly not part of society?

You said it's not stupid to have a narrow view of women's attractiveness. Uh, it is. Especially considering it's not usually a "view" but an expectation.
Who said it's an expecation? If you're trying to tell me you don't find thin women more attractive than fat women you are a liar. Plain and simple. The reason you find them more attractive is because EVERYWHERE you look the media and pop culture and women talking about how fat they look conditions you to find thin women more attractive. Just look at other societies in other times in history where heavier women were considered more desireable. It's not because every man was born with a different brain. It's all about conditioning.

Yes, it's stupid if you can't get past how thin a girl looks and see her for her personality, but we will always find thin women initally more attractive because that's how we are. If you feel differently than you're abnormal. If you want to disagree with me then maybe you should take a look in all of the magazines and movies and TV shows. Are the most popular women overweight? No.

Good grief I can't believe I'm actually having to try and prove this point.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:01 AM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:

Yes, it's stupid if you can't get past how thin a girl looks and see her for her personality, but we will always find thin women initally more attractive because that's how we are. If you feel differently than you're abnormal. If you want to disagree with me then maybe you should take a look in all of the magazines and movies and TV shows. Are the most popular women overweight? No.

Do you realize how stupid this sounds? You admit you are shaped by media, but then admit it's wrong...

Yet you are calling those who don't fit to your standard, "abnormal".

Once again you fail to make any sense in this forum.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

I have a picture of one of my ancestors. The lady is quite clearly wearing a corset. She looks like an hourglass. Yes, this is disturbing.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Who said it's an expecation? If you're trying to tell me you don't find thin women more attractive than fat women you are a liar. Plain and simple. The reason you find them more attractive is because EVERYWHERE you look the media and pop culture and women talking about how fat they look conditions you to find thin women more attractive. Just look at other societies in other times in history where heavier women were considered more desireable. It's not because every man was born with a different brain. It's all about conditioning.

Good grief I can't believe I'm actually having to try and prove this point.
Somehow you are still separating men from society, the media, and pop culture.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Do you realize how stupid this sounds? You admit you are shaped by media, but then admit it's wrong...

Yet you are calling those who don't fit to your standard, "abnormal".

Once again you fail to make any sense in this forum.
It makes perfect sense. I don't think you understand the difference between initial physical attraction and being able to look past it and find beauty in other things. My point is that men are initially more attracted to thin girls. I don't see how that's wrong. If we were going to a club together and we looked at two girls and I said "man, the thin one is really pretty, but the other one isn't that attractive to me because she's really overweight" you're not gonna say "OMG you're so mean and wrong! How dare you look at it that way!!". That attitude is just silliness.

It is wrong to be unable to look past that though. An example would be acknowledging a girl isn't quite as attractive to you because she's overweight and still liking her and finding beauty in other things about her other than just her waist size.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

But it's about where you lay the blame that's the problem.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't think it's a problem. Why should I personally feel bad about who I find most attractive? I can't force myself to feel otherwise. At the same time I don't only give thin girls the time of day. Like I said, the girl I like right now is overweight. I don't understand who you think I should lay the blame on. The average joe guy, or the miniscule percent of people who actually control what we see in the media and such. As far as I see i they're the ones who set most of the trends.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

I find it hard to believe that the media is this completely separate entity from society.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Well, why do you think men generally find thin women attractive?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

I certainly don't think the media sets every belief and we all blindly follow, which is essentially your argument.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Quote:

As far as I see i they're the ones who set most of the trends.
So if "they" the mighty few that control your thoughts so much, told you only bald headed bearded women were attractive, you'd fall for it?

Quote:

It makes perfect sense. I don't think you understand the difference between initial physical attraction and being able to look past it and find beauty in other things. My point is that men are initially more attracted to thin girls. I don't see how that's wrong. If we were going to a club together and we looked at two girls and I said "man, the thin one is really pretty, but the other one isn't that attractive to me because she's really overweight" you're not gonna say "OMG you're so mean and wrong! How dare you look at it that way!!". That attitude is just silliness.

I understand the difference, please, I'm not the one blaming media for my thinking...
Old 07-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #44
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:

Well maybe if you actually paid attention to what I was talking about you wouldn't have had a conniption fit on me.
Oh, how ironic. By your own admission, you didn't even bother to look at what I was talking about in the first place! You derailed this thread from its original subject from the start, so YOU are the one who should have paid attention.

Take your own advice.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I was replying to an already off topic post about how "men are idiots".