Does anyone else find this more than a little disturbing?? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM

The story of that couple seems to be about a fetish. It's actually quite shocking especially taking place back in the 20's. He was a sadist. He journaled his evolution as such starting from the time he was 12 wearing womens clothes and piercing himself. Then finding a wife who would satisfy that.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

It IS stupid to have a narrow view of who's attractive. It's stupid to value looks as much as many men do. And it can be helped. It can be helped by growing up and trying to find real values in women.

It's not smart for women to conform themselves to society's view of how they should exactly be, but you seemed to take all blame off men. It's responsibility to both of them.

Shart, do you know what you are talking about?

Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 04:09 PM
That's not sexy or attractive, it's gross and sickening! I can imagine all her guts sweezed together. How long did she live? How did she go around pregnant without killing the baby? This is WRONG.

You know I've heard horror stories of bodies dug up when graveyards were moved for development, and the skeletons of Victorian women were said to be deformed, especially through the ribs, because of constant corset use. The corsets were also responsible for most of the famous 'vapours' and fainting spells ladies used to be famous for. There's no need for anything to be so tight.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 PM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
I don't understand how it's stupid to have a narrow view of who's attractive. It can't be helped.

Oh, Christ on a sodding bike. Actually, no, make it a unicycle. I knew coming back here was a bad idea.

*Counts to 20 before resuming post*
Are you seriously trying to tell me that it is perfectly acceptable for men to mould women to their own needs and desires, as has been done throughout history, yet men are blameless in all this? Some things never change, it seems.

Quote:
If you're going to take the blame off of women for doing stupid things because society expects it of them maybe you should consider the fact that men find thin women attractive because society says thin women are attractive.
Talk sense, will you?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

It IS stupid to have a narrow view of who's attractive. It's stupid to value looks as much as many men do. And it can be helped. It can be helped by growing up and trying to find real values in women.
Aren't you like 16 or 17 years old? I am impressed. You put some men who are much older than you are to shame. Good on you there.

I guess it must be tough for some people to be so gorgeous and perfect that they are able to pass judgment on everyone's looks
Old 06-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Aren't you like 16 or 17 years old? I am impressed. You put some men who are much older than you are to shame. Good on you there.
Yeah. Well said!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:06 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:09 AM
Having a waist that is about 70% of the hips is a cue of fecundity, things like clear complexion that signal youthfullness and reproductive potential are attractive. Now there is a lot of variation in human sexuality (now if we just ignore homosexuality for a moment) and I would agree that there is social control (the waxing and waning of what constitutes an attractive weight for instance), but theres a reason that we don't like asymmetrical faces or square jawed women; they wouldn't make as good a mate (asymmetry = ill health, and jawline a hormone proxy), sex drives are the concequence of evolution and aspects of human sexuality emerge from it. Variation between cultures and extremes like this sort of fetishisation are social but judging potential partners based on looks isn't and we shouldn't be apologetic for it.

And I say that as somebody who finds whatever vapid skeletor takes up the front page of the latest scandle mag rather repellent and definitely treats wit, charm and intelligence as traits right up there with looks.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #23
War Child

I can understand guys prefering girls with slim waists, but I can't understand anyone thinking that ridiculously squooshed in the middle woman is hot. She looks out of proportionto reality. She looks like she's dying, like something heavy fell on her and she's being squeezed and suffering to death. That's not sexy, unless you have a very ill fetish, and then it's not healthy.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

My point is that women feel that they need to be thin because society expects that of them. Men find thin women attractive because basically all of society tells them that thin women are the most attractive. What's the difference in this situation? Both the men and the women are striving for a standard. The men GENERALLY look for thinner women and the women generally try to be thinner. On the same note you could say that women look for guys that are in better shape and men (not as many, but still a lot) strive to get bigger and more muscular. It's just how society works.

I hate it when women go on about how stupid men are. I don't know, it's just really gets on my nerves. know how it feels to have your body picked on because I used to be pretty darn thin and girls didn't like it. I've gained a lot of mass since then, but 'm still thinner than average I'd say. Women find me WAY more attractive now. But you don't hear me going around talking about how stupid women are because they find me more attractive now. I think that's a silly attitue and it's honestly pretty annoying. This is how things are in the real world and it can't be helped. And I'm not saying all thin women are better in some way than heavier ones.

Of course I'm talking about initial attraction here. When you really get to know someone it probably won't matter nearly as much how they look (unless they're really beastly). It would be a lie if a woman said she'd find Brad Pitt just as attractive if he gained 100 lbs, and it would be a lie if men said they'd find Angelina Jolie more attractive if she gained 100 lbs (although she'd look better if she didn't look like the stick she is).

The girl I like A LOT now is overweight but I find her extremely attractive. I am attracted to her body, but I'm mostly attracted to her because of small things about her I've learned to appreciate that other men might not initially notice. The things that sort of epitomize her in my eyes. Would I find her more physically attractive if she lost a few pounds? Of course. Would it make me more fond of her? No.

And PLEASE don't put words in my mouth. When did I EVER say anything about it being ok for men to mould women? I never did. I just said thin women are generally more attractive.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

I think if we look at the reasons why there is this dominant, anti-feminine aesthetic in the fashion industry, it could be because most designers are gay men, and they like to see their clothes on models who have boyish figures.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Well you are consistent, I'll give you that...
Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't know what you mean by that, but I'm assuming it wasn't a compliment.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 AM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I was speaking to financeguy, hence why I posted after his post without quoting...
Old 07-02-2007, 05:29 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I didn't bother looking at the picture until now.

Wow. That's just disturbing. I wouldn't think that would be humanly possible. The woman's husband must have had a skeleton fetish or something.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #30
New Yorker

Yes well, thanks for your comments. In the first place, this thread was about that sort of extreme modification, not stereotypes of attractiveness. Hence I posted the link to the pic and the articles. That is what I was banging on about in particular. Not the rest of it. As anyone who had followed the link and then read my comments would have understood.