Does anyone..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
OK, I've been on my sabbatical a grand total of two days. But it occurs to me that my problem with the campaign this year is the damn length of it. Come on, eight months of this :censored:? Isn't that too much for any sane voter of any political persuasion? Honestly, I'm thinking of starting a group to protest this insanity. Wasn't it better when they chose the candidates at the conventions and started campaigns on Labor Day? I'm completely disgusted with the present situation. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
I don't know, that really depends on what happens this year. If Bush wins, he can't run for re-election in 2008. If Kerry wins, he can. I don't know how flexible the party big shots are about changing anything about the schedule of the election. It was Terry McAullife who wanted a "front-end loaded" campaign schedule this year so the Democratic candidate could be nominated early and disputes between the candidates settled. He had a point, but it caused other problems. It's a problem for both candidates when the electorate is burned out on Election Day, and there was commentary in the press about this. People pointed out that the upshot of this would be the longest election campaign ever. I understand that no one can wave a magic wand and return the process to the earlier practices of nominating the candidate at the convention and starting the campaign on Labor Day. But it's worth a try because it is the better way for all of us.

Sadly it's become a case of the perpetual campaign. And most people don't like it, but it seems that he who campaigns the longest (and has the most money) wins. So to win, you have to campaign further out from selection day. Vicious cycle.

It seems so long because of the intense interest in the outcome of this election, I think. But yes, in this age of instant news it seems interminable, not to mention unnecessary. People will be turned off and not bother to participate, at this rate. The time might have come for changes in the way the whole thing is done.

I agree, this is a particularly intense campaign, for several reasons. I do think some reforms are in order because I am convinced voters of all political persuasions support them. No one really wants to be burned out on Election Day.

Back
Top Bottom