Dobson and Alito sittin' in a tree ... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Dobson and Alito sittin' in a tree ...

[q]Dear Dr. Dobson:
This is just a short note to express my heartfelt thanks to you and the entire staff of Focus on the Family for your help and support during the past few challenging months.

I would also greatly appreciate it if you would convey my appreciation to the good people from all parts of the country who wrote to tell me that they were praying for me and for my family during this period.

As I said when I spoke at my formal investiture at the White House last week, the prayers of so many people from around the country were a palpable and powerful force.

As long as I serve on the Supreme Court I will keep in mind the trust that has been placed in me.

I hope that we'll have the opportunity to meet personally at some point in the future.

In the meantime my entire family and I hope that you and the Focus on the Family staff know how we appreciate all that you have done.

Sincerely yours,

Samuel Alito

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-bl...-_b_16596.html

[/q]

do SCOTUS justices routinely send personal notes of thanks to special interest groups?

Old 03-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:46 PM
I would think anyone who undergoes such stressful scrutiny would thank those who offered support.

But, given the nature of the political environment, even simple etiquette is questionable.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I would think anyone who undergoes such stressful scrutiny would thank those who offered support.

But, given the nature of the political environment, even simple etiquette is questionable.

what special interest groups did Bork thank, personally? RBG? Stephen Breyer? John Roberts?

and of all people ... why Dobson? is this ediquette or quid pro quo?

also, Alito passed through. how stressful could it have been?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quid pro quo? Was there a check with the note?

As for the stress - how could you question a multi-day public interview where your character is targeted as anything but stressful.

Besides, it was reported as such. If Alito's wife leaves in tears, it has got to affect the man himself.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Two peas in a pod....................
Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Quid pro quo? Was there a check with the note?

As for the stress - how could you question a multi-day public interview where your character is targeted as anything but stressful.

Besides, it was reported as such. If Alito's wife leaves in tears, it has got to affect the man himself.

my understanding was that she left in tears when they were saying nice things about Alito -- she was overcome with emotion because she was so proud of him.

of course it was stressful, but it was hardly a brawl like with Bork.

quid pro quo?

[q]I would also greatly appreciate it if you would convey my appreciation to the good people from all parts of the country who wrote to tell me that they were praying for me and for my family during this period. ... As long as I serve on the Supreme Court I will keep in mind the trust that has been placed in me.[/q]

this was read aloud on Dobson's radio show.

how many dots does one need to connect?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

If you already know the conclusion you want to draw, why use dots? I mean really, this is some scandelous act? If it was a two page letter, would we get a "Theocracy Watch"?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If you already know the conclusion you want to draw, why use dots? I mean really, this is some scandelous act? If it was a two page letter, would we get a "Theocracy Watch"?

wow, you're right; this is a perfect example of a THEOCRACY WATCH -- the corruption of various institutions of a secular democracy by deeply conservative religious pressure groups.

is this a scandalous act? no, the letter isn't, in and of itself, even though it is affectionately written to America's most powerful religious fundamentalist who exercises veto power over the administration's social policy initiatives.

the appointing of SCOTUS judges -- and the judge's acknowledgement of just how much help he has received from such groups -- in order to please a particularly powerful pressure group most assuredly is.

the reach and power of Christianism within the Republican party is terrifying.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I know the game. As a Christian, I can't deny the terrifying "reach and power" of (whatever you are currently defining as "Christianism" - the word doesn't exist).

And Dobson now has "veto power". I don't remember the constitutional amendment that granted that one. But again, as a Christian, I can't deny it.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I know the game. As a Christian, I can't deny the terrifying "reach and power" of (whatever you are currently defining as "Christianism" - the word doesn't exist).

i don't know what being a Christian has to do with anything. some of the most ardent defenders of the separation of church and state are devout Christians -- they understand that it is precisely the maintenance of the separation of church and state that enables them to practice their religion as robustly as they see fit.

Christianism is a word that is used in the same way as Islamism is used -- likewise, Christianist and Islamist. essentially, Christianism views Christianity as not only a religion, but also a political system that should govern the legal, economic and social imperatives of the state.

Quote:
And Dobson now has "veto power". I don't remember the constitutional amendment that granted that one. But again, as a Christian, I can't deny it.
oh come on, the Bushies have never let the Constitution get in their way!

think back to Harriet Miers ...
Old 03-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

a blogger puts it well:

[q]First, Supreme Court Justices should be very careful associating with overtly political entities, and you don't get much more political than Dobson. Secondly, Dobson himself read it out loud on the air to brag of his influence on national affairs. Thirdly, there is more than just a hint of a constitutional quo for a political quid in the letter. That kind of horse-trading undermines the integrity of the court and the impartiality of the justices. Look: I endorsed Alito. But I hoped his jurisprudence would not amount to a carte blanche for whatever the Christianists demand. The letter suggests otherwise.

http://time.blogs.com/daily_dish/
[/q]
Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
But I hoped his jurisprudence would not amount to a carte blanche for whatever the Christianists demand. The letter suggests otherwise.
Simple hogwash.

For the sake of political argument, the author simply disregards the ability of a judge to be a neutral arbiter based on a thank you note.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
For the sake of political argument, the author simply disregards the ability of a judge to be a neutral arbiter based on a thank you note.

why did Dobson read this aloud on the air?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Would any radio host be happy to receive a note from a Supreme Court Justice?

I can't share the super secret right-wing Christian code words embedded in the letter.....
Old 03-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I can't share the super secret right-wing Christian code words embedded in the letter.....

why? what else do you know? is this just a decoy? what do they tell you at the meetings?