Do you think The death penalty Is Right? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:14 AM
i worry about all fundamentalists. the inability to see only black and white in a world of gorgeous grey is scary.

right now, it does seem as if the islamist militants are the scariest, but in another time, the christians were pretty freaking scary too. and they may one day be again.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #77
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:14 PM
clarify?

Old 01-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #78
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:14 AM
I fear those that kill abortion doctors, who justify wars by saying "god" is on their side, I fear those who ban or discriminate fellow human beings because they don't fit in their box, I fear those that claim the tsunami was punishment from "god", I fear those that justify any kind of violence in the name of "god".
Old 01-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #79
Acrobat

I'm speaking of strict fundamentalists. Find justification for killing abortion doctors, starting wars, banning human beings, attributung natural disasters to God's wrath in the New Testament and we're on the same page. It certainly doesn't say how and when to beat your wife and kill the infidel.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:28 PM   #80
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by drhark
I'm speaking of strict fundamentalists. Find justification for killing abortion doctors, starting wars, banning human beings, attributung natural disasters to God's wrath in the New Testament and we're on the same page.
Why does it have to be in the NT. People find justification in the Bible for all these things. So now we're narrowing it down to how and where the interpretation works?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #81
Acrobat

I was taught the New Testament was the new deal. The Old Testament is the Word of God and is to be studied but the New Testament is the overriding authority when there is conflict. Jesus' and the apostles teachings were often in conflict with the Old Testament
Old 01-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
I was taught the New Testament was the new deal. The Old Testament is the Word of God and is to be studied but the New Testament is the overriding authority when there is conflict. Jesus' and the apostles teachings were often in conflict with the Old Testament
Yes that would be my understanding also. Although I can think of one issue - divorce - where Jesus' teachings appear to be actually stricter than the Old Testament.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:51 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think that if murderers are aware of the consequences of their actions beforehand then they simply brought it upon themselves and the state - or anyone else for that matter - cannot be held responsible for the execution of the death penalty.

In the end it all comes down to common sense - which in the end isn't really so common.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
I'm not comfortable with the idea of executing a possibly innocent person. I'm also not comfortable with sending a possibly innocent person to prison for life. Our justice system isn't perfect. Supposedly it costs more to the taxpayers to execute a prisoner than to keep him or her alive. But should cost be a consideration when you're dealing with matters of life and death? Discuss. I don't have a firm opinion on capital punishment, a lot of questions remain. I don't take issue with either side.

I do know that Jesus doesn't have much to do with the argument. Jesus sought to affect human hearts and souls, not government policy. Jesus actually did get the death penalty, which was allowed for in His faith, Judaism. He happened to be innocent (well, maybe not. To those who didn't believe He was the Son of God, He was commiting blasphemy), so I'm sure He had a problem with the charges against Him, but he forgave those who killed Him.
Interesting points. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have executions. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have murders. We would have a flawless justice system. Total Utopia. I don't like capital punishment, especially the cases where the accused murderer is innocent. I also don't like it when disturbing murderers go unpunished, and I feel for the families that live with the pain and agony over losing a loved one over a vicious crime. Where does that leave me? I clearly believe in defending the innocent, and the possibly innocent, but those who are guilty should pay for their crimes one way or another.

I think repeated murderers, terrorists, and double/multi-murderers - if proven beyond a reasonable doubt, but are not legally insane - are vile and inhumane, and deserve a severe punishment, whether it be a lifelong maximum security prison or lethal injection. I don't think that a single murder case is enough for an execution.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #85
Refugee

Whoever said that man can not interpret scripture is correct, that is why God has called a prophet to reveal his will to all man through a prophet, and to interpret the scriptures not of man, but of God. Of course man can interpret scripture but that is the reason thee are 50,000 churches out thee, because everbody has a diffrent interpretation.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:03 AM   #86
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:14 AM
I dont believe that a gift as significant as life, can be removed whenever we say so. It's not our gift, and those who conciously choose to fill God's shoes, to make such decisions, be it on your head.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:43 AM   #87
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Scary statement.
I dislike Falwell and Robertson intensely.

However, these types of guys scare me a lot more

http://www.jp.dk/english_news/artikel:aid=2826236/

http://frontpagemag.com/Articles/Rea...e.asp?ID=16639

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/38704.htm
Old 01-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Precisely. Who am I, and who are you, to say such things?
So, we let Scripture speak.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:16 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino
I have yet to see anything except an out-of-context "live by the sword die by the sword" which says God is OK with murder as punishment. My mind, is, however, open.

"Thou shalt not kill"
It is only "out of context" if you choose to ignore God's other statements on the subject.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:14 PM
No. It's sick, and not to be accepted under any circumstance.