Do you think The death penalty Is Right? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #181
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Why is it off track? Because they were Freemasons, and deists, and believed in completely different ideals than the religious right agenda?

Old 01-17-2005, 04:03 PM   #182
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
OK...and examining their site, I would say that they, also pushing Bible Cd's to earn money, would have a reason for pumping the "Judeo-Christian" links to the constitution.
Ok look. I provided you with quotes from founding fathers. Are those quotes correct or not? Yes or no.

I don't care if that site had a big giant neon Cross flashing in the banner! It provided sound quotes from the founding fathers.

If you want to debate those quotes fine. But attacking the site from which they were pulled shows you are trying to go into another direction.

Your turn to find quotes from the founding fathers that said they didn't use the Bible to form American law.... over to you...

Old 01-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #183
Acrobat

Quote:
Why is it off track? Because they were Freemasons, and deists, and believed in completely different ideals than the religious right agenda?
No because this thread is about the DEATH PENALTY!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #184
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 PM
all the items you posted were bits of writings and speechs

one may have been a law

it was laws we were talking about, right?

Quote:
Article. III.

Section. 1. The judicial Power of the United States shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

Section. 2. The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority; — to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls; — to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction; — to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party; — to Controversies between two or more States; — between a State and Citizens of another State [Modified by Amendment XI]; — between Citizens of different States; — between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

Section. 3. Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

so we could not have the above without

Quote:
Judeo-Christian Roots

"The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin." (Deut. 24: 6)
Old 01-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life

I take quotes, taken out of the context of the original document...

on a site that is pumping a religious agenda......

to be biased.....

yes.....

And I do not have the time to do the proper research, but do not fret...if I have the time tonight, I will be back if not....wednesday.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #186
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
http://www.nccs.net/newsletter/may03nl.html

here is the site again

all the items you posted were bits of writings and speechs

one may have been a law

it was laws we were talking about, right?

so we could not have the above without
So um... you used the same link I did?

I really have no idea where you are coming from at this point.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #187
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by thacraic

No because this thread is about the DEATH PENALTY!!!!!!!!!

Tone it down...
Old 01-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #188
Acrobat

Quote:
I take quotes, taken out of the context of the original document...

on a site that is pumping a religious agenda......

to be biased.....

yes.....

And I do not have the time to do the proper research, but do not fret...if I have the time tonight, I will be back if not....wednesday.

Ok well I will seek out the original documents these quotes came from. You do the same. I have a feeling it isnt going to be pretty.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #189
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

You do not think that the

laws

of this country are not rooted in Judeo-Chrisitian belief?

I will ask again
what laws?

that site listed remarks

only one law
and there really was no connection.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #190
Acrobat

Quote:

Tone it down...
I wasnt being nasty! or angry!

Come on man. I was putting empahsis on the words death penalty because THAT (uh oh emphatic that) is what this thread is about and THAT is what for the last 10 post at least has not been addressed.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #191
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I will ask again
what laws?

that site listed remarks

only one law
and there really was no connection.
OMG!

I showed you quotes from some of the founding fathers (which now is under attack because they are taken out of "context") having used the Bible as a guide in laying out law. What laws? All of them....

Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, George Washington... all these men said over and over what they used to form our laws. Is that a true statement yes or no?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #192
Acrobat

Quote:

Ok well I will seek out the original documents these quotes came from. You do the same. I have a feeling it isnt going to be pretty.
Ok here is one link to the speech in its entirety from which this "Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports..." quote was taken from

http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/P/gw1/speeches/gwfar.htm

I will do a John Adams search after I get the cornbread out of the oven and we all eat dinner. See ya later...
Old 01-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

A speech is not a law.

I never question if any of them were of any religious faith or not.

All I question is when people say U. S. laws are based on Christian-Judeo values.

There are many elected legislators serving today that do not believe their personal religious beliefs have to codified in law.

So you really can't list any laws that are Christian- Judeo?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #194
ONE
love, blood, life

The Washington Speech has nothing to do with the constitution or law or the founding of our governement.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #195
Blue Crack Addict

the constitution is law.

your site claims that it took these bible passages

Quote:
Judeo-Christian Roots

"Hear the causes between your brethren, and judge righteously between every man and his brother, and the stranger that is with him. Ye shall not respect [discriminate against] persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto me, and I will hear it." (Deuteronomy 1:16-17)

"Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect [discriminate against] the person of the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbor." (Leviticus 19:15)

"God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34)

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28)

to convince the founding fathers they did not want a King after fight a war with King George III

Quote:
"No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States" U.S. Constitution, Art. I, Sec. 9, Paragraph 8)

the site is nonsense and makes no real arguments

unless it is preaching to the choir