Do you think The death penalty Is Right? - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #166
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thacraic

Ok here...
Judeo-Christian Roots

Just to name a few.

It is not some bullshit term made up by anyone. It is something that was devised to provide a definition for a concept. From the few quotes I pasted in, what else would you call it?

I still say Judeo-christian is a bullshit term

employed by conservatives as a claim of inclusion or decency

My Jewish friends would never use the term.

this site does not have founding fathers using term

Old 01-17-2005, 03:46 PM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Bad link deep....

Old 01-17-2005, 03:47 PM   #168
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Actually we have much more in common with the Code of Hammurabi since he received his laws on tablets from god, little g. They really do make sense.
Well that is all fine and well Dread. But the question is not what similarities our laws hold to Hammurabi's system. The question is what guided the founding fathers in their decisions when implamenting laws in this country.

Whether or not one agrees with the Bible or Judeo-Christian ethics or whatever is of no consequnce. What is being asked is where did our laws come from?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #169
ONE
love, blood, life

lets see......

How many of the founding fathers would you characterize as being part of the religious right?

I would agree that they are based on the Bible, but not based on the Religious Rights distorted view of the Bible.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Well that is all fine and well Dread. But the question is not what similarities our laws hold to Hammurabi's system. The question is what guided the founding fathers in their decisions when implamenting laws in this country.

Whether or not one agrees with the Bible or Judeo-Christian ethics or whatever is of no consequnce. What is being asked is where did our laws come from?
I would say provide links to your sources...and we can chat.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #171
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I still say Judeo-christian is a bullshit term

employed by conservatives as a claim of inclusion or decency

My Jewish friends would never use the term.

this site does not have founding fathers using term
I couldnt use the site. I never said the founding fathers used the term Judeo-Christian. What is being said is they used the Bible to set up our system of law. Since the Bible is Judeo-Christian in origin (duh) what else would you say our laws are rooted in?

How can you deny history?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #172
Acrobat

Quote:

I would say provide links to your sources...and we can chat.
I did mate. Two of them.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #173
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

hammurabi preceeds the Bible. therefore, the code of laws is truly the basis of all law.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:55 PM   #174
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I did mate. Two of them.
Wow...I must be blind....where is the link?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:55 PM   #175
Acrobat

Quote:
lets see......

How many of the founding fathers would you characterize as being part of the religious right?

I would agree that they are based on the Bible, but not based on the Religious Rights distorted view of the Bible.
Not very many. I think a large part of them were freemasons and that is a big NO-NO in my book.

I am not even talking about the religous right here ok? I am not talking about the direction this country is taking or the impending doom people see on the horizon because people shot down the gay marriage vote in their states. I am talking about the origin of American law.

All this started because of what I see as a fairly truthful statement that the reason the death penalty is turned into a religious/political discussion is because of its origin.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:56 PM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Not very many. I think a large part of them were freemasons and that is a big NO-NO in my book.

that's a shame.....every mason I know is a good person
Old 01-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #177
Acrobat

Quote:

Wow...I must be blind....where is the link?
You're not blind im just a moron.

I don't know what happened to that post! And I think I said something clever too along with the links (that doesn't happen often so Im bummed about it). Anyhoo...

This is the site http://www.nccs.net/index.html

And this is the section of the site I pulled those quotes from

http://www.nccs.net/newsletter/may03nl.html
Old 01-17-2005, 03:59 PM   #178
Acrobat

Quote:

that's a shame.....every mason I know is a good person
Dear Lord!

Is EVERYTHING I say something you have to disagree with?

That fine they are good people ok? They have some pretty creepy practices though. I guess you are going to disagree with that as well..

This is going wayyyyy off topic at this point. Maybe we can get back on track sooooon.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:59 PM   #179
ONE
love, blood, life

OK...and examining their site, I would say that they, also pushing Bible Cd's to earn money, would have a reason for pumping the "Judeo-Christian" links to the constitution.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:00 PM   #180
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 PM
Quote:

I couldnt use the site. I never said the founding fathers used the term Judeo-Christian. What is being said is they used the Bible to set up our system of law. Since the Bible is Judeo-Christian in origin (duh) what else would you say our laws are rooted in?

How can you deny history?
http://www.nccs.net/newsletter/may03nl.html

here is the site again

all the items you posted were bits of writings and speechs

one may have been a law

it was laws we were talking about, right?

Quote:
Article. III.

Section. 1. The judicial Power of the United States shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

Section. 2. The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority; — to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls; — to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction; — to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party; — to Controversies between two or more States; — between a State and Citizens of another State [Modified by Amendment XI]; — between Citizens of different States; — between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

Section. 3. Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

so we could not have the above without
Quote:
Judeo-Christian Roots

"The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin." (Deut. 24: 6)