Do you think Dr Hollingworth should be sacked? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2002, 06:28 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Do you think Dr Hollingworth should be sacked?

I'd say yes.

According to the tally on the website http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/872.asp the votes so far are:
Yes
No

If Howard won't do it, should the queen?

Old 02-23-2002, 09:38 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:29 AM
add another vote in the yes column for me...

Old 02-23-2002, 02:23 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Most definitely.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:00 AM   #4
War Child

Yay! Aussie politics!
Yes, definetaly. I don't think he'll get sacked though, but he's going to have to resign.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:35 AM   #5
Jesus Online

I seriously doubt he will be sacked Tyler. I also dont see him stepping down. He really cannot see fault with what he did. Johnny wont sack him as he wants to preserve the reputation of the state.

I dont think the queen has the balls to do it either.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:53 AM   #6
New Yorker

I dont think the queen would be fully aware...all that matters to her staffers is that hollingworth should not resign/be dismissed while she is in the country in march.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:59 AM   #7
Jesus Online

Fully aware perhaps, but aware none the less. I dont agree that she or her staff will be concerned tha sacking wont take place while she is here. She has a duty, one that she is always bound by. If anyone is a stickler for tradition it is her. She knows she is one of only 2 people able to sack him.

I guess it is too much to ask, she pulls her crown out her arse and does something useful. I cannot believe the hesitation in this decision. The guy released a 12 page document and said absolutely nothing in it! he just rambled on. And what do you know, the church once again is shirking this responsibilty.

Cover ups - BLAH.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:06 AM   #8
New Yorker

The major lesson this provides us with is that the church must stop using a different set of laws to the rest of us. The time is past when any of this shit could be kept in house. Not just that, but why anyone could be retained in their position after having transgressed in that manner, does make u wonder what Hollingworth was thinking. Forgiveness perhaps?

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 02-25-2002).]
Old 02-25-2002, 06:56 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
I guess it is too much to ask, she pulls her crown out her arse and does something useful.
:::applauds loudly:::
Old 02-25-2002, 10:55 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Hmm...mind sharing what happened for us non-Australians?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 02-25-2002, 11:56 AM   #11
War Child

To cut a long story short, Australia is a constitutional monarchy in which the head of state is the governer general. The role of the governer general is as a figurehead, ie open public buildings etc but also as the representative of the British Queen in Australia to sign all acts of parliament into law (in fact was the previous governer general who opened the Sydney Olympics, not the prime minister).

The present governer general, Dr Peter Hollingworth, was formerly archbishop of Brisbane. He was generally very well respected because he did a lot of good work and was outspoken about poverty and dislocated australians. The governer general in Australia is not however elected - they are appointed by the queen on advice of the prime minister (ie we give the queen a list of possible candidates with one neame on them). Nowadays a governer general is always australian, but previously it was a nice job for english chum of the ruling class, and in the 80's there was a suggestion that prince charles may come and do it, but we didn't want him This all of course leads into the whole Australian constitutional / republic debate...

Anyway, even though he was a member of the clergy, not too many people kicked up a fuss when he was appointed governer general. However basically it has come out that when he was Archbishop in brisbane, hollingworth helped cover up a number of cases of sexual abuse within his own diocese of the church that have now become public. He did not partake in any of the sexual abuse itself and denies any wrongdoing, but obviously handled it extremely poorly. Unfortunately a few days ago when interviewed by one of the victims he intimated that she had in fact been partly responsible for what happened.

Finally, the Queen has timed one of her rare visits to Australia when all of this broohahah is going on. The prime minister is standing by him (at the moment) and you can read more about it here:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...471629525.html

[This message has been edited by zoomerang II (edited 02-25-2002).]
Old 02-25-2002, 12:56 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

interesting. Sounds like a public relations nightmare waiting to happen.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:28 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Ah yes...good old Christianity. Always takes the time to point out how evil we all are, but it never likes to be wrong. It has buried its sins under a pile of red tape, but then has the audacity to tell us to confess our own. A part of me would love to see all of its sins exposed, finally being brought down to a human level like everyone else.

Put me down for a "Yes" as well.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 02-25-2002).]
Old 02-25-2002, 08:19 PM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
interesting. Sounds like a public relations nightmare waiting to happen.
Its already happened
!
Old 02-26-2002, 01:16 PM   #15
War Child

looks like he is staying where he is...
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...704951341.html