Do you think Dr Hollingworth should be sacked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I seriously doubt he will be sacked Tyler. I also dont see him stepping down. He really cannot see fault with what he did. Johnny wont sack him as he wants to preserve the reputation of the state.

I dont think the queen has the balls to do it either.

I dont think the queen would be fully aware...all that matters to her staffers is that hollingworth should not resign/be dismissed while she is in the country in march.

Fully aware perhaps, but aware none the less. I dont agree that she or her staff will be concerned tha sacking wont take place while she is here. She has a duty, one that she is always bound by. If anyone is a stickler for tradition it is her. She knows she is one of only 2 people able to sack him.

I guess it is too much to ask, she pulls her crown out her arse and does something useful. I cannot believe the hesitation in this decision. The guy released a 12 page document and said absolutely nothing in it! he just rambled on. And what do you know, the church once again is shirking this responsibilty.

Cover ups - BLAH.

The major lesson this provides us with is that the church must stop using a different set of laws to the rest of us. The time is past when any of this shit could be kept in house. Not just that, but why anyone could be retained in their position after having transgressed in that manner, does make u wonder what Hollingworth was thinking. Forgiveness perhaps?
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 02-25-2002).]

Hmm...mind sharing what happened for us non-Australians?
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

To cut a long story short, Australia is a constitutional monarchy in which the head of state is the governer general. The role of the governer general is as a figurehead, ie open public buildings etc but also as the representative of the British Queen in Australia to sign all acts of parliament into law (in fact was the previous governer general who opened the Sydney Olympics, not the prime minister).

The present governer general, Dr Peter Hollingworth, was formerly archbishop of Brisbane. He was generally very well respected because he did a lot of good work and was outspoken about poverty and dislocated australians. The governer general in Australia is not however elected - they are appointed by the queen on advice of the prime minister (ie we give the queen a list of possible candidates with one neame on them). Nowadays a governer general is always australian, but previously it was a nice job for english chum of the ruling class, and in the 80's there was a suggestion that prince charles may come and do it, but we didn't want him
wink.gif
This all of course leads into the whole Australian constitutional / republic debate...

Anyway, even though he was a member of the clergy, not too many people kicked up a fuss when he was appointed governer general. However basically it has come out that when he was Archbishop in brisbane, hollingworth helped cover up a number of cases of sexual abuse within his own diocese of the church that have now become public. He did not partake in any of the sexual abuse itself and denies any wrongdoing, but obviously handled it extremely poorly. Unfortunately a few days ago when interviewed by one of the victims he intimated that she had in fact been partly responsible for what happened.

Finally, the Queen has timed one of her rare visits to Australia when all of this broohahah is going on. The prime minister is standing by him (at the moment) and you can read more about it here:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/02/25/1014471629525.html

[This message has been edited by zoomerang II (edited 02-25-2002).]

Ah yes...good old Christianity. Always takes the time to point out how evil we all are, but it never likes to be wrong. It has buried its sins under a pile of red tape, but then has the audacity to tell us to confess our own. A part of me would love to see all of its sins exposed, finally being brought down to a human level like everyone else.

Put me down for a "Yes" as well.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 02-25-2002).]

No way Johnny's gonna sack him, although I think he's getting tougher on him, just the things he's been saying over the last couple of days. He has to go. He should for what he did, and every day he hangs on he's just looking more like a monkey. If the top position in the country has nobodies respect then...
I'll put $10 on him resigning once the Queen leaves the country thanks betty. Bring in Tim Fisher.

FUCK! Why do we have a fucking Queen and Governor General anyway!!!
*holds back from massive rant*

Well, who could be the next GG? Fred Nile? Bruce Ruxton? Cathy Freeman? Daryl Sommers?

The whole thing is a mockery. I can't see how he will do a back flip Tyler, I'd love to see it happen too, but this is a guy who stated he thought 'the sex between the priest and the 14 year old girl was consentual'.
Who wants to play whats wrong with this picture?

Its weird, there are so many things I agree with John Howard on, and so many I dont. I can't criticise him for standing firm, despite the situation. To back down now after he has copped so much in the past for not reneging on other issue would be a huge mistake. Besides, I get the freeling Johnny wont be wanting to hang around much after this term.

The best solution would be for him to step down, but there are reports cropping up about how much support he is getting. If he cant be convinced the public opinion is for the alternative, I doubt it will happen.

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
The whole thing is a mockery. I can't see how he will do a back flip Tyler, I'd love to see it happen too, but this is a guy who stated he thought 'the sex between the priest and the 14 year old girl was consentual'.
Who wants to play whats wrong with this picture?

Isn't sex with minors illegal whether it's consensual or not? Or was that what's wrong with the picture...

Back
Top Bottom