Do you think Bono sees thru...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
oppurtunistic people and fans that are trying to get next to him for their own selfish gratification, agenda or other self serving reasons?
frown.gif

I think he is keenly aware of their motives usually.
What say you?

diamond
smile.gif

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

[This message has been edited by diamond (edited 05-22-2002).]

I hope so, but I don't think so. He's too nice and I think he gives people too much of the benefit of the doubt even when they don't deserve it. I do think Bono has been taken advantage of and will continue to be.

------------------
~"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy,
I don't mind, think they're crazy
running everywhere at such a speed
'til they find, there's no need!
Please don't spoil my day,
I'm miles away,
and after all, I'm only sleeping!"~
John Lennon

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 05-22-2002).]

When I won a trip to stay at the clarence, i spoke to some people there and they told me that unfortuantely u2 always have these people hanging off them, hanging around, that are just there to do the sort of thing you're talking about Diamond.

People will always take advantage but Im sure as desire said, they probably are used to it by now and just put up with it and then move them along.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
When I won a trip to stay at the clarence, i spoke to some people there and they told me that unfortuantely u2 always have these people hanging off them, hanging around, that are just there to do the sort of thing you're talking about Diamond.

People will always take advantage but Im sure as desire said, they probably are used to it by now and just put up with it and then move them along.
Manda-
My pt. exactly.
Like the way Bono will put a lameass reporter in check during a press conference w a comment or a polite follow up question
biggrin.gif
Or-
quickly dissmissing a fan after ascetaining that fan's motives as not genuine.
Something I notice, he seems to have a great read on people and very intuitive.
smile.gif

diamond

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
I hope so, but I don't think so. He's too nice and I think he gives people too much of the benefit of the doubt even when they don't deserve it. I do think Bono has been taken advantage of and will continue to be.

I agree. He's still friends with Naomi Campbell, isn't he?

I think Bono is a helluva lot smarter than people give him credit for. If he seems taken advantage of, I?d be willing to bet he does so for a reason and not because he?s oblivious.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I think Bono is a helluva lot smarter than people give him credit for. If he seems taken advantage of, I?d be willing to bet he does so for a reason and not because he?s oblivious.

Well said Sula...I think being in the public eye for 20+ years has taught him a lot about people's true motivations and he is problably able to smell an oportunist a mile away. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Very well put
Sula and Mrs American Bono.
smile.gif

Its almost like he says silently -"go ahead- think youre getting over on me, use me , youre really not"..
And if the user gets too greedy or becomes blantantly foolish he has them quickly and politely "dismissed".

My observation.
biggrin.gif

diamond
smile.gif

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

It'd be hard to try and manipulate a man who used to be called 'The AntiChrist'.

Who's that playing disc throw with Bono??? What's happening?

foray

Good point,Foray.
What's happening there is Bono after recoginizing one fan's motives, and pulling him up, inquiring if he was ok, then asking him to remain on stage w/him, and close the show, requested that the fan pick him up,(twice) thats all.
smile.gif

The fan was humbled by the event.
Ouizy-
I am glad Bono accurately recognized that fan's motives.
Case in point.
smile.gif

Peace
Out

diamond
smile.gif

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

The only reason why I posted your photos was it seemed they contradicted the point you were trying to make:

oppurtunistic people and fans that are trying to get next to him for their own selfish gratification, agenda or other self serving reasons?

I understand his willingness to pull you onstage for one show, but then to read your "open letter" made me think that you were up there for more than one show, ran around the heart, got tackled by someone, etc. etc. etc.

As much as I would hope that your photos proved your point, they just seem to contradict it, that's all.

Anyway - I am leaving for your beautiful city tonight and hope to bake in the dry heat that you refer to...

ouizy

That's ok Ouizy.
I will trust Bono's assesment and judgement over yours.
wink.gif

I see you were not at that show.
smile.gif

Meeting Bono was only a by-product of what I was attempting to do, which Bono recognized.

This is why I say he is very keen.

Have a good trip.

Sincerely-

diamond

smile.gif

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

Heh heh heh

What were you attempting to do (no, I was not at that show)?

In all honesty, I have no judgement other than questioning a thread that someone posted regarding "fans trying to get next to him" when that person has a website dedicated to getting next to him, and his reasons, and why security should be kind to him. It just seems a bit hypocritical to get next to him, then post a thread about fans trying to get next to him. It just makes you wonder.

Keep wondering then, cuz Bono figured it out .
wink.gif

DB9
ps-
I was attempting to bring the love of some fans to the stage..inwhich he recognized and welcomed..
It was also nice to have furthur correspondence w/him at future shows and have him still recognizing and acknowledging this fan's motives.
Way cool.
Very humbling.
smile.gif

thats all.
Peace
Out-
smile.gif

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

[This message has been edited by diamond (edited 05-24-2002).]

While not necessarily the wisest thing to have done, I respect the determination of diamond and the appreciation by Bono during that incident.

And remember, since when is it a written rule that male fans cannot get onstage with Bono or the band? He pulled a girl up almost every show for the last three tours for gosh sakes.

I would have loved to have been in diamonds shoes, I don't see that as opportunistic or shallow.

ouizy:

Although I can see where you may infer some irony in diamond's posting of the subject at hand, let me state for the record:

DiamondBruno_9's fandom is indeed sincere, and Bono knows it.

Bono has recognized DiamondBruno_9 (and his children) at subsequent shows and in favorable ways. Remember, Bono is one about transcending boundaries. What's so odd about transcending the usual technique of dancing on stage with a female and instead dancing with a man who is made of steel.

Sure, Diamond has some shenanigans up his sleeve, but we all do. His sincerity as a U2 fan is as solid as the Joshua Tree is an album.

In fact, let me tell you about a project that I have in mind:
I live in a semi-rural area, with lots of former timber and mine lands. I am looking at buying 100 acres to build a retreat.

It will be called The Shrine of Our Lady of Interference, a shrine to someone once referenced as "the Mother Teresa of U2 Fans," DiamondBruno_9. I have told him of my plans and he likes it. I have spoken to Arun_V and he may even donate a ganesha and some other Hindu vestments. I also plan to put a gift shop, restaurant, and maybe even a summer camp for kids on site.

I hope that if you are ever in parts unknown, you will visit the Shrine. Admission will be free, and so will the beer.

~U2Alabama

I thought this was dropped long ago.

Anyway - I do not doubt his fanhood, hell I would like to be the one in those photos, I just thought it was ironic that he posted that thread.

Anyway - I am back from Diamond's hometown (?) and have to say that place it quite amazing.

Ouizy-
What part of Scottsdale did you stay in?
What clubs did you attend?
And-
did you remember to wear sunscreen?
;)
thank you-
:)

DB9

Last edited:
I think Bono is very intuitive, but too busy to size up every fan, of course.
He prolly just takes it all with a grain of salt. I do think before he'd take any fan too seriously he'd be able to sense if they were for real or not though.

LARRY, on the other hand, can smell a phoney a mile away, and goes to great lengths to avoid them as much as possible. Even he has to tolerate it sometimes though.....really sad.

well...sometimes people really get down on bono and are all 'the man is a complete idiot.' i never understood that. clearly he is SO intelligent...look at his lyrics. think about the first meaning you get from them, then ask your friend to listen to it and ask what they got and so on and so on. those lyrics don't have 1001 meanings to them on accident or by coincidence.

as for people..i guess i don't know because i've never met him. i agree with it seeming like he extends the benefit of the doubt in general. he also seems to be so free with himself in that way though, which is something i admire greatly. he has learned not to judge and learned to tolerate and forgive and these things, to me, are the most difficult things in life to learn. he has had to have been burned so far, because if you reach that age and have NEVER been hurt by someone, you weren't living to begin with.

but...too trusting or not? i don't know, it's not my life. and clearly i have a lot more decisions to be making about how i'm going to run my life in the future. who am i to judge bono's actions? no one.

Hmmm. Just some thoughts here. Diamond you really are to be commended. Never one to rile or get offended and takes things out of proportion. I remember in that thread I made in the confessionals where everyone gave kudos to random members. Someone mentioned your ability to stay calm, to remain polite, to cop everything on the chin. I cannot remember the words, but I read it and agreed wholeheartedly. I wished I could have formed the words 1st as they were so true. Obviously Ouizy wasn't trying to get your goat, it was an interesting alternate perspective. After your encounter with Bono, I remember seeing all your references to it posted, reading your open letter, seeing all the photos and thinking argh how long will you be singing this song? But after a bit, I know it wasn't you cashing in on the experience. You weren't taking advantage to gain cred, nothing of the sort. You are plain and simply a true fan. A rarity.

If I can see that, Bono most certainly can too.

Back
Top Bottom