Do You Really Believe that Smoking Pot is a Safe Alternative to Tobacco? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2002, 06:58 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:31 AM
Do You Really Believe that Smoking Pot is a Safe Alternative to Tobacco?

Cannabis smoke health warning

Monday, November 11, 2002 Posted: 7:32 AM EST (1232 GMT)

LONDON, England -- Health risks from smoking cannabis have risen dramatically since the 1960s because of changes to the way the drug is produced, a health charity says.

The British Lung Foundation warned smoking three cannabis joints a day can cause the same lung damage as 20 cigarettes.

Its report, A Smoking Gun, says smoking pure cannabis is as harmful as tobacco and when the two are mixed the effects are dramatically worsened.

The BLF report, published on Monday, said the health risks were worse now than in the 1960s because there is more THC (tetrahydrocanabinol), the ingredient which accounts for the psychoactive properties of cannabis, in the substance consumed today.

BLF Chairman Dr. Mark Britton told the UK's Press Association: "These statistics will come as a surprise to many people, especially those who choose to smoke cannabis rather than tobacco in the belief it is safer for them.

"It is vital that people are fully aware of the dangers so they can make an educated decision and know the damage they may be causing."

The study looked at existing scientific and medical research on cannabis smoking and respiratory health.

Evidence shows that tar from cannabis cigarettes contains 50 percent more cancer producing agents, or carcinogens, than tobacco, it says.

Dame Helena Shovelton, BLF chief executive, told the BBC's Today programme: "Puff and inhalation volume with cannabis is up to four times higher than with tobacco. In other words you inhale deeper and hold your breath with the smoke for longer before exhaling.

"This results in more poisonous carbon monoxide and tar entering into the lungs."

She added that the charity wanted to ensure people were aware of the dangers -- but was not advising on whether or not to smoke cannabis.

Melon

Old 11-11-2002, 07:01 PM   #2
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Hello, ANY kind of smoke in your lungs is bad, sheesh.....

Old 11-11-2002, 07:05 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
Hello, ANY kind of smoke in your lungs is bad, sheesh.....
You know, you would think this was the obvious answer.....
Old 11-11-2002, 07:10 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

You know, you would think this was the obvious answer.....
LOL...I know! I am completely in agreement with you. But, honestly, I have hit so many dead ends in arguing the obvious (particularly, this issue), so I thought I would see what people thought here.

Melon
Old 11-11-2002, 07:41 PM   #5
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Smoking weed might be more dangerous, but gosh, it's a hell of a lot more fun.

Um. Not that I'd know. Or anything.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:25 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Who in their right mind can compare weed and cigarettes?

These are two totally different drugs. Who really says well smokes are bad for me so i'm gonna pick up weed instead!! Hello!

I am all for smoking pot. Just dont do it in front of kids at work and dont drive with it. But a three year old could have told you the results of this study.

I hope to god theydidnt spend taxpayers money on this!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 09:37 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Weed makes me siiiiiilllllllllllly

I think it shouldnt be legalized
thank u
Diamond
Old 11-12-2002, 04:41 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
The US did a similar study in the late 60's/ early 70's that concluded the same thing....that pot contained more carsinogens than tobacco cigarettes. The only reason people believe it's "safer" is because it has "medicinal purposes." They want to use that catchphrase over and over to get it legalized for everyone. Pot can be beneficial for a cancer patient going through Chemotherapy, and should be used for that purpose if it is going to be legalized.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:05 AM   #9
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

These are two totally different drugs. Who really says well smokes are bad for me so i'm gonna pick up weed instead!! Hello!

I am all for smoking pot. Just dont do it in front of kids at work and dont drive with it. But a three year old could have told you the results of this study.

I know quite a few people who think that smoking weed is harmless and have quit smoking cigs and continue to smoke weed... sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:06 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

LOL--so true. I don't know one person who smokes weed as an alternative to tobacco. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard!

And you know what? Skydiving is also a dangerous, potentially fatal, form of recreation. Yet it's legal. The reason that marijuana is illegal in the U.S. has little to do with the government's concern for our health and everything to do with politics.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:08 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropa

I know quite a few people who think that smoking weed is harmless and have quit smoking cigs and continue to smoke weed... sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.
But that's not the same as what is implied in this article, that for people who have to smoke something they choose pot over marijuana. People smoke marijuana to get high, not to replace a nicotine craving/addiction. Two completely different things.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:22 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by daisybean
Pot can be beneficial for a cancer patient going through Chemotherapy, and should be used for that purpose if it is going to be legalized.
It is a pain reliever, plain and simple. For the terminally ill, at least, they have no concerns as to whether they would develop cancer 20-30 years down the road. They aren't going to live that long.

Why it won't be legalized is because I know there are going to be far more people who are perfectly healthy smoking it, rather than a small percentage of terminally ill patients.

Melon
Old 11-12-2002, 11:43 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

But marijuana is the least of our concerns when it comes to cancer. Good lord, hairspray, deodorant, pesticides, fertilizers, air pollution and most things under your kitchen sink are WAY bigger concerns. Chemical sensitivity is the illness of the 21st century and it's chemicals that are the biggest concern, not moderate amounts of marijuana. To me the concern over marijuana stills reeks of puritanical control.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:55 AM   #14
The Fly

Here in Canada there has been more talk of legalizing pot. I do think pot is safer than alcohol in the sense that people who are high are usually less dangerous than those intoxicated (general statement here).

However, it is terrible for your lungs and that should close the argument right there! They are trying to make smoking socially unacceptable and it is surely but slowly working. Many of our cities are smoke free, which means you can't even smoke in the bars. It's ridiculous to say that pot is good for you. I mean, tylenol will cure a headache occasionally, but a bottle will kill you.

Legalize marijuana and everyone will suddenly need and claim it's for medicinal purposes, then lung cancer will dramatically increase.

I think that if they knew what they know now about cigarettes way back when, they may have been illegal.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:21 PM   #15
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UltravioletU2
Here in Canada there has been more talk of legalizing pot. I do think pot is safer than alcohol in the sense that people who are high are usually less dangerous than those intoxicated (general statement here).
A Study from the French government showed some years ago that the dangers of Alcohol (Chemical Dependencies) are comparable to Heroine.

Anyway.. noone should take drugs - they are allways dangerous but forbiding them dosn't help (because most people in the age of 15-20 don't care too much about laws)

Klaus