do you love your country? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:05 PM
I love my country, but not in the political sense. I'm really bad with caring about politics, b/c it seems that no matter what "side" you are on, no one at the top really cares. I do my best to stay informed and make informed decisions, but even that is a chore for me.

Anyway, I love this country because I know that my extended family and most of our Dutch community here would not have made it to where we are now if they'd stayed put. Regardless of political or religious convictions, there are/were opportunities in this country that were not available elsewhere.

I love the diversity of people in this country. This is going to sound terribly optimistic, but I'm glad that the US borders a developing country like Mexico b/c it gives us and incredible opportunity to embrace diversity, have a direct impact, and be directly impacted by a country totally different from our own (yes, whether or not this is done in reality remains to be seen...but I'm thinking from an ideological perspective). I love the diversity of landscapes - two oceans, the Florida Everglades, the Rocky Mountains, the Pacific Northwest, the Great Plains, etc. There's everything from tropical forest to tundra. I love that we have a single metropolitan area that is equal in population to the entirety of Australia, and that less than 100 miles away you could find towns of only 1000 people. There's something for everyone here and there's plenty of space for everyone.

Do I love this country enough to die for it and wish to remain here forever? No. I've been to other places that share qualities very similar and have other qualities of their own, and I like those places just as much.

Maybe for me, love = appreciate. I can find plenty to criticize about this country, but at the same time I cannot deny that just being born in the right place at the right time has been a significant advantage for me.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

it's striking that so many people talk about loving the landscapes of their country.

why do you think that is?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Because America and Australia have beautiful landscapes.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Nature > people
Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

ungrateful liberal.
Well...MAYBE I'd be willing to go out on a date or two. But that's probably it. Wouldn't want the US to get too attached to me. I've been called a "heartbreaker".
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
Because America and Australia have beautiful landscapes.

i think Bavaria is quite beautiful.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #37
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
it's striking that so many people talk about loving the landscapes of their country.

It is like the furniture to your home...most countries do tend to have beautiful landscapes no matter where you live...the highlands of Scotland, the whole West coast of Ireland, Cornwall is quite lovely in England, Yorkshire as well......but you always like your own furniture the most.

I think nationality exists different for different countries....Ireland has such a small population compared to most places in the world, at under 6 million...London has at least double that population. Nationalism is much less to do with the state, much more here to do with cultural heritage people connect with. Nationalism and patriotism isn't so bad, they are just larger versions of kingdoms before them, chieftains before that and so on....tribe versus tribe happened long before nation versus nation.

Nationalism just needs to be kept in check in order to prevent discrimination of those not of that nation. It is alright to feel proud of your nation's achievements, it is just natural to think of that person who ha sdone something wonderful at science or sport as part of your grand extended family.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:05 PM
There's a feel of permanency and solidity about the landscape that feels more like home than the fragility of abstract ideas and ideals that are supposed to define us. It doesn't require suspension of disbelief. There's no ambivalence in that love.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

i think Bavaria is quite beautiful.
Yes, Germany, and Europe as a whole, has some nice parts. I love Norway and Sweden in particular.

I like some aspects of my country, and feel lucky living in a country that provides so much social security and support for me. But I can't exactly love it.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Irvine are you saying you have the hots for the USA?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The first time I ever felt like I "loved" a place was when I spent a year in Chuuk, a tiny little island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Perhaps that's why I now live on ANOTHER tiny little island in the Pacific Ocean.

Chuuk, objectively, wasn't that lovable though. A lot trash marring the tropical beauty, a pretty-brokedown infrastructure and a horrifically corrupt government. But I loved Chuuk anyway.

As for the United States, I am deeply appreciative to be a U.S. citizen. Very grateful. Carrying a U.S. passport really smooths the way in most of my travels, and there's a nice sense of "security", the sense that if things ever get crazy "out there" I can always go home to the "safety" of the United States (though technically I live on U.S. soil as the Northern Marianas Islands are a territory of the U.S.). I also admire the ideals found in the U.S. Constitution and the preamble to the Declaration of Independence. Granted the nation has rarely fully lived up to those ideals but they are something to strive for, something to hold the nation accountable to. I don't believe that the U.S. is better than any other country. I don't buy into the "more free" nonsense and so on. I think in large part I like my country because it happens to be mine, it's where I'm from. In that sense it's part of me.

As to what I "owe" the country, I tend to feel that if I enjoy the benefits of being an American citizen it's not unreasonable to do my duties as citizen whatever they may be. For reasons of personal conscience, I don't think I would fight as a combatant for my country but if "called upon" I would serve in whatever other ways I could. I feel like unless you genuinely could care less whether your country is run by the current folks or whoever the "enemy" is, unless you are glad to give up whatever benefits you might receive as a citizen, you should be willing to do SOMETHING in the service of your country.

And I do agree that fighting for your country, doing that duty if you will, sometimes means opposing what the leaders of your country are doing (as in the case of our current war in Iraq) and perhaps refusing to participate in it. I think stopping the madness this administration is perpetuating could be vital to the long-term health and even survival of the nation. Blindly and "patriotically" going along with a foolhardy war could harm the nation rather than help it.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #42
War Child

Local Time: 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
Nature > people
people are part of the nature. One of many children of this blue planet.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure most people here know how much I am obsessed with animals, and that my livelihood truly does revolve around the natural aspect of creation. There's nothing I enjoy more than going to the beach, kayaking, tent camping, hiking in the woods, animal watching in the Everglades, fishing in the Atlantic ocean, and photographing each of these activities. It's not so much that I prefer the landscape of the US to the landscape of other countries, but that we pretty much have nearly every landscape and natural environment right here in one country. As much as I love nature, I'm a city girl, so that's another thing I love - I can live in a nice large metropolis and still be within 1-2 days drive of almost any landscape I can dream up.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:05 PM
*Drunken goggles on*
As my genealogy has revealed, my paternal and maternal families have been in America for 200 years and more, in some cases.

I love the idea of America much more than I love the current representation. I don't love the state, govt. or any representation, I love the idea that an individual could come to America and better their life through the virtues of honesty and hard work. It's all anyone could ask. Yes, the 'pie-in-the-sky' attitude more often than not falls flat on it's face but I'm not sure if there are better opportunities elsewhere. Seems to be, in some cases.

It seems that if a (figurative analogy) house fly is killed unfortunately in the US, it will make a paper somewhere and some (figurative) Aussie or Euro (whomever) would be outraged about what the U.S. is up to. I don't love my country like I did when I was 12, not even close, but I think that the freedoms truly offered are as good as anywhere else and that with competent leadership and legislation we could prove to be the worlds only superpower for a reason other than military. Remains to be seen, for sure.

I don't love my country in 'that' respect, I love liberty. And it gets smaller here by the day, it seems. I respect laws to protect others from abuses of said liberty, what I don't respect is a government or state that wouldn't afford you the liberty in the first place. That disqualifies less than it used to but still quite a few.

I think there are many countries who took the modern U.S. model and did a bit better with it, if not a lot. That said, many/most will always be beholden to the U.S because they aren't realists in the sense that they aren't willing to fight a little tough or even dirty. Canada, I'm sure is a wonderful place to live, from all exhibited accounts, but they have no credible national defense outside of the U.S.

To many, this means nothing. These people lack the perspective that would go on to allow them to love the place they live with the (false sense of) security that their state/country has provided that they would not lose this liberty. Otherwise, they forfeit it. (You can give me Utopia, but can you assure me that it won't easily crumble?) In this respect, I think the U.S. is still admirable and maybe even capable of being loved by an idealist who doesn't comprehend much outside of their own borders. I'm not sure the U.S is the best country in the world to live, it's up to debate for sure, what's not up to debate is the security of the state. That does mean something. For that, we can love our security, even if our liberties are in flux. And we can look outside our borders and wonder if we would be better off and a sense of loyalty would tell us 'no' but we might be wrong. Security makes me love the sacrfice of others, it doesn't make me accept the reality of the state of things. I love America as far as I and like-minded individuals can try and make it.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by butter7

people are part of the nature. One of many children of this blue planet.
i did the because i was joking.