Do you believe that only YOUR religion gets to go to heaven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
Do you believe that only YOUR religioun gets to go to heaven?

Well, I have been thinking a lot about religion lately. Personally, I am an Irish catholic, but I do not go to church on a regular basis and I do not follow the ?rules? of Catholicism (and how many really do?) But I have been reading a lot about different religions and it seems that a central theme in most of them is that theirs is the true religion and that the followers of this religion will be the ones that get to go to heaven. This is one of my major problems with organized religion. Does anyone on this board think that a Mormon is going to heaven but a starving Muslim child in Africa is not going to heaven? Or that John Gotti can confess his sins to a catholic priest before he dies and go to heaven but a Hinduchild who is blown up in the hills of India will not go to heaven? Or that a suicide bomber can kill 10 and go live in heavens with a bunch of virgins? Personally, I believe that god is not egotistical. He does not need for you to WORSHIP him in order for you to go to heaven. He would rather you are a good and caring person towards your fellow human beings. It?s quite amazing that the most divisive force on the planet is.... Religion.

Last edited:
yes.

i'm an irish proto-catholic, so i'm all for people of different religions getting to heaven. especially those of mixed religions ;)

honestly, it's no one's right to deny someone acceptance into heaven. that's really Jesus's job.

:heart:

It is definitely not Jesus' job to decide whether or not someone of another religion goes to heaven, in my opinion.

I certainly do not think that the only people who go to heaven are those that practice spirituality the way I do and I trust no religion or path that professes to be the only way.

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
It is definitely not Jesus' job to decide whether or not someone of another religion goes to heaven, in my opinion.

I certainly do not think that the only people who go to heaven are those that practice spirituality the way I do and I trust no religion or path that professes to be the only way.

I do believe that Jesus determines who does get into heaven, no matter what religion they profess.

I believe that it is possible for people who do not explicitly acknowledge Jesus to get into heaven. Some of the ancient members of the human race must be in heaven despite having lived centuries before Jesus's time and not having a written canon to follow.

speedracer said:

I believe that it is possible for people who do not explicitly acknowledge Jesus to get into heaven.

:yes: :up:

I agree. I'm a Christian, (no specific denomination) but I don't believe it's only us who get into Heaven. You don't have to acknowledge Jesus to follow his two commandments. If a Muslim or a Jew or anyone else truly loves God and loves their neighbour, and leads a life trying to please God, then why shouldn't they get into Heaven?

This basically explains what I'm trying to say -

"one man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God." - Rom 14: 5-6 (NIV)

I think that whatever religion you are, if you believe that what your religion teaches is the truth, and you love God and try to please him according to what your religion teaches, then that's a good thing. (Obviously I don't mean people who think God wants them to go out and kill people and things like that though) I don't know a lot about other religions, but I'm sure the vast majority teach love and peace, and why wouldn't God be pleased with someone who tries to live a loving, peaceful life?

Last edited:
nicely said, Truly.

I dont believe in god, heaven, etc so I cant really answer the question. But I'm glad people here don't think there religion is the only way. :)

I was watching a documentary regarding the existance of hell. It said everyone, christian or not, will be given an opportunity to enter heaven at the end of the world (or upon their death) - to repent and accept Jesus into their being. So if you are ingnorant of christianity due to being a starving child in Africa, you will not be judged because of you circumstances as they are beyond your control, this also applies to non-christian religious followers as they have never been exposed to the word of Jesus. But if you are aware of Jesus' teachings and choose not to follow, then you could be in for trouble! ;)

I believe there is one Supreme Reality, and multiple roads to it. That makes me a Catholic with a great respect for Hinduism and Buddhism.

So dub, your saying that when you die and become christian you can go to heaven?

I'm not saying this is my own personal view, I'm just re-stating what this documentary said which was hosted by a Revered or such, he said he had presided over many funerals and one question on many christian's minds was what will happen to their non-christian friends and relations when they die if they don't believe in Jesus. So his answer was my previous post. I am neither disputing nor agreeing with it, just putting it out there for interest's sake.

They said there would be some tickets waiting for me at the Will Call Window...to get in to heaven:)

db9:dance: :cool:

diamond said:
They said there would be some tickets waiting for me at the Will Call Window...to get in to heaven:)

db9:dance: :cool:

you'd better spring for UPS 2nd day delivery:lol:

RavenStar said:
So dub, your saying that when you die and become christian you can go to heaven?

I wouldn't really recommend the deathbed conversion. It's kind of a risky gambit.

Even Better Then Real Thing shYYYYYYYYYY!!

YES YES i have a great religion where i'm jesus , god and AN ultimate angel .

TAKE ME HIGHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TAKE ME HIIIIIIIGHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU'RE THE REAL THING
YOU'RE THE REAL THING
EVEN BETTER tHEN REAL THING
EVEN BETTER THEN REAL THING
SHY .....

:laugh: :lol: :lol: :heart: :mac:

Re: Even Better Then Real Thing shYYYYYYYYYY!!

pinkfloyd said:
YES YES i have a great religion where i'm jesus , god and AN ultimate angel .

TAKE ME HIGHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TAKE ME HIIIIIIIGHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU'RE THE REAL THING
YOU'RE THE REAL THING
EVEN BETTER tHEN REAL THING
EVEN BETTER THEN REAL THING
SHY .....

:laugh: :lol: :lol: :heart: :mac:

Muhammad Ali: "Did you know that I'm God?"

Joe Frazier: "God, you're in the wrong place tonight. I'm taking names and kicking ass!"

Isn't it "Even better than the real thing...child"

speedracer, I take too many risk already. A few hundred more wont hurt.

RavenStar said:
Isn't it "Even better than the real thing...child"

speedracer, I take too many risk already. A few hundred more wont hurt.

Ok, but I'll bet that not too many of them involved an eternity of fire, brimstone and being poked with sharp sticks.

back to the original q.

If you are a christian and live a true christian life,
If you are a jew and live a true jewish life,
If you are a muslim and live a true musim life,
If you are a buddhist and live a true buddhist life,
If you are a bahai and live a true bahai life

if you live the way God tells you to live, you?ll get into heaven. There is no religion that can claim to be the only, right one that?ll get you into heaven.

AM, I was looking on about.com and found some stuff about the Bahai faith. You guys have great religious tolerence. :)

AM said:
back to the original q.

If you are a christian and live a true christian life,
If you are a jew and live a true jewish life,
If you are a muslim and live a true musim life,
If you are a buddhist and live a true buddhist life,
If you are a bahai and live a true bahai life

if you live the way God tells you to live, you?ll get into heaven. There is no religion that can claim to be the only, right one that?ll get you into heaven.

AM said:

There is no religion that can claim to be the only, right one that?ll get you into heaven.

And yet there are many that do.

Jesus himself said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

What's up with that?

Too Much Asleep said:

And yet there are many that do.

Jesus himself said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

What's up with that?

My interpretation is that he was the way, the truth, the life for the people in his sphere at that time and that there is always a living son of god present serving different cultures at different times. Hence, the great masters of all religions. Sadly, they are often not recognized by the masses until they are long dead.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom