Do you believe that only YOUR religion gets to go to heaven? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2002, 02:40 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Do you believe that only YOUR religioun gets to go to heaven?

Well, I have been thinking a lot about religion lately. Personally, I am an Irish catholic, but I do not go to church on a regular basis and I do not follow the “rules” of Catholicism (and how many really do?) But I have been reading a lot about different religions and it seems that a central theme in most of them is that theirs is the true religion and that the followers of this religion will be the ones that get to go to heaven. This is one of my major problems with organized religion. Does anyone on this board think that a Mormon is going to heaven but a starving Muslim child in Africa is not going to heaven? Or that John Gotti can confess his sins to a catholic priest before he dies and go to heaven but a Hinduchild who is blown up in the hills of India will not go to heaven? Or that a suicide bomber can kill 10 and go live in heavens with a bunch of virgins? Personally, I believe that god is not egotistical. He does not need for you to WORSHIP him in order for you to go to heaven. He would rather you are a good and caring person towards your fellow human beings. It’s quite amazing that the most divisive force on the planet is.... Religion.

Old 08-08-2002, 02:46 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:40 AM
yes.

i'm an irish proto-catholic, so i'm all for people of different religions getting to heaven. especially those of mixed religions

honestly, it's no one's right to deny someone acceptance into heaven. that's really Jesus's job.

Old 08-08-2002, 02:54 PM   #3
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly
honestly, it's no one's right to deny someone acceptance into heaven. that's really Jesus's job.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:59 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:40 PM
It is definitely not Jesus' job to decide whether or not someone of another religion goes to heaven, in my opinion.

I certainly do not think that the only people who go to heaven are those that practice spirituality the way I do and I trust no religion or path that professes to be the only way.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:19 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
It is definitely not Jesus' job to decide whether or not someone of another religion goes to heaven, in my opinion.

I certainly do not think that the only people who go to heaven are those that practice spirituality the way I do and I trust no religion or path that professes to be the only way.
I do believe that Jesus determines who does get into heaven, no matter what religion they profess.

I believe that it is possible for people who do not explicitly acknowledge Jesus to get into heaven. Some of the ancient members of the human race must be in heaven despite having lived centuries before Jesus's time and not having a written canon to follow.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:52 PM   #6
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

I believe that it is possible for people who do not explicitly acknowledge Jesus to get into heaven.

I agree. I'm a Christian, (no specific denomination) but I don't believe it's only us who get into Heaven. You don't have to acknowledge Jesus to follow his two commandments. If a Muslim or a Jew or anyone else truly loves God and loves their neighbour, and leads a life trying to please God, then why shouldn't they get into Heaven?

This basically explains what I'm trying to say -

"one man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God." - Rom 14: 5-6 (NIV)

I think that whatever religion you are, if you believe that what your religion teaches is the truth, and you love God and try to please him according to what your religion teaches, then that's a good thing. (Obviously I don't mean people who think God wants them to go out and kill people and things like that though) I don't know a lot about other religions, but I'm sure the vast majority teach love and peace, and why wouldn't God be pleased with someone who tries to live a loving, peaceful life?
Old 08-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #7
Refugee

nicely said, Truly.

I dont believe in god, heaven, etc so I cant really answer the question. But I'm glad people here don't think there religion is the only way.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:41 PM   #8
The Fly

Thanks RavenStar
Old 08-08-2002, 05:44 PM   #9
Dub
The Fly

I was watching a documentary regarding the existance of hell. It said everyone, christian or not, will be given an opportunity to enter heaven at the end of the world (or upon their death) - to repent and accept Jesus into their being. So if you are ingnorant of christianity due to being a starving child in Africa, you will not be judged because of you circumstances as they are beyond your control, this also applies to non-christian religious followers as they have never been exposed to the word of Jesus. But if you are aware of Jesus' teachings and choose not to follow, then you could be in for trouble!
Old 08-08-2002, 06:37 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dub
. But if you are aware of Jesus' teachings and choose not to follow, then you could be in for trouble!
Well, at least I'll probably get rid of my cold then
Old 08-08-2002, 06:43 PM   #11
The Fly

Hitman, actually Mormons don't believe that they would automatically go to heaven, or that a starving african child would not.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:52 PM   #12
Refugee

So dub, your saying that when you die and become christian you can go to heaven?
Old 08-08-2002, 07:15 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I believe there is one Supreme Reality, and multiple roads to it. That makes me a Catholic with a great respect for Hinduism and Buddhism.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:21 PM   #14
Dub
The Fly

Quote:
So dub, your saying that when you die and become christian you can go to heaven?
I'm not saying this is my own personal view, I'm just re-stating what this documentary said which was hosted by a Revered or such, he said he had presided over many funerals and one question on many christian's minds was what will happen to their non-christian friends and relations when they die if they don't believe in Jesus. So his answer was my previous post. I am neither disputing nor agreeing with it, just putting it out there for interest's sake.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:25 PM   #15
Refugee

I get it.