Do you believe in soul mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cowgirl

War Child
I was reading an article in this morning's paper with extracts from Deepak Chopra's thoughts on soulmates.
Everything he had to say was very interesting and he basically believes that what we did in our past will affect who we meet and how we interact with others in the future.
He goes by that common love principle, that no person can ever find a soul mate unless they truly love themselves and give themselves over completely.

So you believe we do have a soul mate?
That one person you connect so spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically with?
Do you think we can have more than one soul mate in a lifetime?
Do you believe that if we find a soul mate, and then lose them over whatever circumstances, that we can find that true pure love again?

I'm really interested in what people think about this and whether they think its a whole lot of tripe, or you should go with that whole "love the one you're with" concept.
Lastly, do we ask too much or shoot for something unattainable if we do want to find a soul mate?

Your thoughts please...

Cowgirl said:
He goes by that common love principle, that no person can ever find a soul mate unless they truly love themselves and give themselves over completely.

I think of John as my soulmate, but if one is to go by that reasoning, then no. I don't love myself. I never will. I don't understand how a person can love themself. I've never understood people who tell me you can't truly love another until you love yourself.

BC, I believe loving oneself means accepting yourself for who you are, warts and all and finally realizing that you are a beautiful person, inside and out.
Its nothing to do with being self obsessed or thinking you are king pin.
I guess on that philosophy, its more talking about the notion of letting another know you and see you for who you truly are. Its allowing yourself to be vulnerable and letting down the walls, and veils that we try to hide ourselves beneath.

Can I just ask why this was moved?
I put it in FYM for a reason.

i thought that forum was about spirituality too, and i was hoping to get some good discussion that goes on in there, rather than see this fall off the page tomorrow here.

It seems the term "soulmate" is used to describe a lover. Do you think a soulmate HAS to be a significant other? Could a soulmate also be a sibling, a good friend, etc.? Not on the physical level that one would have with a significant other, of course, but spiritually, emotionally, and mentally?

One can have many soulmates in a lifetime. It does not have to be limited to a romantic relationship, either. I'm not really clear on what Mr Chopra means when he says one has to love oneself first in order to get (earn? appreciate?) a soulmate, but I think you can have a soulmate no matter what level your self-esteem is. My personal take on this is that a soulmate is someone you respect greatly, someone whom you wish you could be on the same level with -- yet you know you are both of the same mold. If that makes any sense. Something else I believe is that your kinship with your soulmate never diminishes with Time. It will be like viewing the great Mona Lisa and experiencing awe -- the feeling will still be there when you view the painting decades later.

Last edited:
Cowgirl said:
i thought that forum was about spirituality too, and i was hoping to get some good discussion that goes on in there, rather than see this fall off the page tomorrow here.

I'll move this back to FYM for you, Cowgirl. It's up to those mods if they want to send it back here, though! :)

Last edited:
Cowgirl said:
I was reading an article in this morning's paper with extracts from Deepak Chopra's thoughts on soulmates.
Everything he had to say was very interesting and he basically believes that what we did in our past will affect who we meet and how we interact with others in the future.

Chopra has some good wisdom. All the unhappy people I know are looking for someone else to make them happy. Thay will never find it. Happiness is not found, but attained and shared.

I'd like to believe that we all have soulmates out there...occasionally I become less than convinced, but I guess I really do believe it. I also think that a person can have more than one, or at least a number of people that are on a similar level as a soulmate.

Cowgirl said:

I've always liked this idea. I think you can only love another person if you're able to believe that you yourself are worth loving. Of course you have to also have the selflessness to love someone else more than you love yourself, but I guess there's sort of a balance there somewhere.

That one person you connect so spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically with?
Do you believe that if we find a soul mate, and then lose them over whatever circumstances, that we can find that true pure love again?

I don't know that I'd use the word soulmate, but I definitely believe we have certain people who were are just *meant* to be with - not just that we fall for because they're nice looking, or because they're intelligent, but because we just feel some sort of connection to them. I don't think there's necessarily *one* person for everyone in the world...but there are definitely certain people we're supposed to be with.

Lastly, do we ask too much or shoot for something unattainable if we do want to find a soul mate?

Your thoughts please...

I guess maybe we could, if we had a picture of our *ideal* soulmate, and we weren't prepared to look beyond it. What I'm saying is that we don't know who our "soulmate" is until we meet them, and when we meet them they could be completely differentn from the way we expected, so we can't ever think that we're waiting for a certain person who we think is our soulmate.

:::has confused self:::

i believe that we all have soulmates. i mean, in each of our lives, we have several people that are perfectly matched with us. i have 2 very good friends that i would consider soulmates.

i went on a "date"-ish thing last night and i sure as hell wouldn't call him my soulmate. you don't generally leave early on dates with your soulmate. :slant:

Cowgirl said:

I believe in soulmates because I found mine, and we tell each other that every day :)

I don't think we can have more than one in a lifetime, that destroys the entire concept of the soulmate.

I think you can find love again if you lose your soulmate, but you'll never have another soulmate, no matter how hard you try.

Love is a strange thing. I don't understand, and I certainly don't have the answers. I suppose for some people, it could be different.

All I know is, if you can love your mate even when they rip a stinky fart, then you're in a pretty good place ;)

I believe in them. I guess they are soulmates anyway, those people who mean the world to you, those who 'connect' so completely. Make you feel complete, and in turn allow you to give back. I dont know if I agree with that loving yourself first though. Sometimes you find someone who gives you total and unconditional love and that changes you, helps you learn how to love back.
I also dont really think it is limited to one person in a lifetime, nor one at a time. At any one moment, we love many people in our lives. It is not just romantic love, it is all the other kinds as well. Human nature leans toward being 'in love' with one person at a time in most situations, but still loving many others.
I also think it can happen over and over. Each experience is unique but is not exclusive. You may find a life partner and have that taken away, but can meet another who is different, yet still connects with you I think. We let our emotions tell us it will never be the same again and maybe sometimes confuse that to mean it wont happen again, but I think it does. It will be a new experience, but a total connection nonetheless.

The Wanderer said:
it wasn't political enough :shame:

you should throw some stuff in about the United States, God and Satan

LMAO!!!!

Hmm Cowgirl... the spirituality thang now goes on in "The Goal is Soul"... I think the soulmate theme is a NICE one and therefore maybe wouldn?t be honoured enough in FYM... what can I say? Oh, it?s back in FYM. Fine, then.

Soulsugar. Brother. Sister. I think there are some :yes:

"I have a lover a lover like no other she?s got soul soul soul..."

I think you can even have different opinions, but still be soulmates. People change, lives change... f.e. I got a friend, right, he is together with a girl I wouldn?t favor because he has earned a better one, I think, but he is my soulmate, absolutely. Then there is this wonderful ex who has not only introduced me to the U2, but also taught me how to treat women, in some ways. She?s my soulmate, even if we are not able to live together because we are so very different.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
I believe in them. I guess they are soulmates anyway, those people who mean the world to you, those who 'connect' so completely. Make you feel complete, and in turn allow you to give back. I dont know if I agree with that loving yourself first though. Sometimes you find someone who gives you total and unconditional love and that changes you, helps you learn how to love back.

:yes: I completely agree with this.

I don't believe in soul mates.

I think its just a way to avoid facing the cold hard fact that no one ever understands another person completely.

It's purely popular romanticism.

Ant.

Anthony said:
its just a way to avoid facing the cold hard fact that no one ever understands another person completely.
I think that love has got a lot to do with finding a person whom you have no problem with that you don't completely understand him/her

I agree noone is able to fully understand another person though

I think that love has got a lot to do with finding a person whom you have no problem with that you don't completely understand him/her

I agree.:yes:

I do think that the idea of soul mates can bring confusion into the idea of love. Is there love because they are soul mates, or in spite of not being soul mates? I believe in the latter.

The best one human being can have, is a passion for understanding another's human condition, and being able to extract love from that.

Ant.

Last edited:
I don't know.

I'd like to believe they exist, because that would lead to such a simplification of matters. Also, it's a lovely idea.

However, I fear it's kind of lazy thinking - if we leave it all up to fate to lead us to our soulmate, it's a means of excusing our need to get up off our ass and do something about our lives.

I hate the word 'soumate' because it's been injected with all this hallmark-ism.

I don't believe in fate that brings soulmates together.

I believe in kindred spirits, hence why there can be many.

foray

Back
Top Bottom