Do you believe in soul mates? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2002, 03:49 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Re: Do you believe in soul mates?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowgirl
I was reading an article in this morning's paper with extracts from Deepak Chopra's thoughts on soulmates.
Everything he had to say was very interesting and he basically believes that what we did in our past will affect who we meet and how we interact with others in the future.
He goes by that common love principle, that no person can ever find a soul mate unless they truly love themselves and give themselves over completely.

Chopra has some good wisdom. All the unhappy people I know are looking for someone else to make them happy. Thay will never find it. Happiness is not found, but attained and shared.

Old 09-08-2002, 03:58 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:34 AM
I'd like to believe that we all have soulmates out there...occasionally I become less than convinced, but I guess I really do believe it. I also think that a person can have more than one, or at least a number of people that are on a similar level as a soulmate.

Old 09-08-2002, 04:05 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:34 AM

Quote:

He goes by that common love principle, that no person can ever find a soul mate unless they truly love themselves and give themselves over completely.

I've always liked this idea. I think you can only love another person if you're able to believe that you yourself are worth loving. Of course you have to also have the selflessness to love someone else more than you love yourself, but I guess there's sort of a balance there somewhere.

Quote:
So you believe we do have a soul mate?
That one person you connect so spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically with?
Do you think we can have more than one soul mate in a lifetime?
Do you believe that if we find a soul mate, and then lose them over whatever circumstances, that we can find that true pure love again?

I don't know that I'd use the word soulmate, but I definitely believe we have certain people who were are just *meant* to be with - not just that we fall for because they're nice looking, or because they're intelligent, but because we just feel some sort of connection to them. I don't think there's necessarily *one* person for everyone in the world...but there are definitely certain people we're supposed to be with.

Quote:
Lastly, do we ask too much or shoot for something unattainable if we do want to find a soul mate?

Your thoughts please...
I guess maybe we could, if we had a picture of our *ideal* soulmate, and we weren't prepared to look beyond it. What I'm saying is that we don't know who our "soulmate" is until we meet them, and when we meet them they could be completely differentn from the way we expected, so we can't ever think that we're waiting for a certain person who we think is our soulmate.

:::has confused self:::
Old 09-08-2002, 04:06 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:34 AM
i believe that we all have soulmates. i mean, in each of our lives, we have several people that are perfectly matched with us. i have 2 very good friends that i would consider soulmates.

i went on a "date"-ish thing last night and i sure as hell wouldn't call him my soulmate. you don't generally leave early on dates with your soulmate.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:08 PM   #20
War Child

Quote:

So you believe we do have a soul mate?
That one person you connect so spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically with?
Do you think we can have more than one soul mate in a lifetime?
Do you believe that if we find a soul mate, and then lose them over whatever circumstances, that we can find that true pure love again?
I believe in soulmates because I found mine, and we tell each other that every day

I don't think we can have more than one in a lifetime, that destroys the entire concept of the soulmate.

I think you can find love again if you lose your soulmate, but you'll never have another soulmate, no matter how hard you try.

Love is a strange thing. I don't understand, and I certainly don't have the answers. I suppose for some people, it could be different.

All I know is, if you can love your mate even when they rip a stinky fart, then you're in a pretty good place
Old 09-09-2002, 07:05 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:34 PM
I believe in them. I guess they are soulmates anyway, those people who mean the world to you, those who 'connect' so completely. Make you feel complete, and in turn allow you to give back. I dont know if I agree with that loving yourself first though. Sometimes you find someone who gives you total and unconditional love and that changes you, helps you learn how to love back.
I also dont really think it is limited to one person in a lifetime, nor one at a time. At any one moment, we love many people in our lives. It is not just romantic love, it is all the other kinds as well. Human nature leans toward being 'in love' with one person at a time in most situations, but still loving many others.
I also think it can happen over and over. Each experience is unique but is not exclusive. You may find a life partner and have that taken away, but can meet another who is different, yet still connects with you I think. We let our emotions tell us it will never be the same again and maybe sometimes confuse that to mean it wont happen again, but I think it does. It will be a new experience, but a total connection nonetheless.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:41 AM   #22
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 06:34 PM
i believe that soulmate status can be achieved so long as both people's hearts are willing.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:26 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
it wasn't political enough

you should throw some stuff in about the United States, God and Satan
LMAO!!!!

Hmm Cowgirl... the spirituality thang now goes on in "The Goal is Soul"... I think the soulmate theme is a NICE one and therefore maybe wouldn´t be honoured enough in FYM... what can I say? Oh, it´s back in FYM. Fine, then.

Soulsugar. Brother. Sister. I think there are some

"I have a lover a lover like no other she´s got soul soul soul..."

I think you can even have different opinions, but still be soulmates. People change, lives change... f.e. I got a friend, right, he is together with a girl I wouldn´t favor because he has earned a better one, I think, but he is my soulmate, absolutely. Then there is this wonderful ex who has not only introduced me to the U2, but also taught me how to treat women, in some ways. She´s my soulmate, even if we are not able to live together because we are so very different.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:54 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I believe in them. I guess they are soulmates anyway, those people who mean the world to you, those who 'connect' so completely. Make you feel complete, and in turn allow you to give back. I dont know if I agree with that loving yourself first though. Sometimes you find someone who gives you total and unconditional love and that changes you, helps you learn how to love back.
I completely agree with this.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:09 PM   #25
Refugee

I don't believe in soul mates.

I think its just a way to avoid facing the cold hard fact that no one ever understands another person completely.

It's purely popular romanticism.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 09-09-2002, 03:19 PM   #26
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
its just a way to avoid facing the cold hard fact that no one ever understands another person completely.
I think that love has got a lot to do with finding a person whom you have no problem with that you don't completely understand him/her

I agree noone is able to fully understand another person though
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-09-2002, 03:41 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
I think that love has got a lot to do with finding a person whom you have no problem with that you don't completely understand him/her
I agree.

I do think that the idea of soul mates can bring confusion into the idea of love. Is there love because they are soul mates, or in spite of not being soul mates? I believe in the latter.

The best one human being can have, is a passion for understanding another's human condition, and being able to extract love from that.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 09-09-2002, 04:43 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 AM
I don't know.

I'd like to believe they exist, because that would lead to such a simplification of matters. Also, it's a lovely idea.

However, I fear it's kind of lazy thinking - if we leave it all up to fate to lead us to our soulmate, it's a means of excusing our need to get up off our ass and do something about our lives.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:38 AM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
I don't believe in soul mates.

I think its just a way to avoid facing the cold hard fact that no one ever understands another person completely.

It's purely popular romanticism.

Ant.
bingo.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:42 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:34 PM
I hate the word 'soumate' because it's been injected with all this hallmark-ism.

I don't believe in fate that brings soulmates together.

I believe in kindred spirits, hence why there can be many.

foray