do you believe in miracles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A_Wanderer said:
You live and you die, I think that when you die you just loose conciousness and your mind pumps out neurochemicals to make your passing easier. Anything greater than that would just be a bonus to me, so basically I am never going to be disapointed.

i don't deny the possibility of no afterlife, but the idea of losing conciousness is really creepy for some reason. obviously if i do lose it, it won't matter that much as i will be dead. but thinking about it now makes me go cross eyed.

Despotism creates Gulags. Democracy creates blogs.

thanks for changing this. its previous form, as i'm sure you are aware, was incorrect. :wink:

Last edited:
Well just think about going to sleep after you are really tired, you literally drop off.

Communism did create Gulags though (some 100,000,000 people were killed by Communism all over the world throughout the 20th Century) - but Despotism is a better term which encompasses Communism, Fascism and Islamism (NOT ISLAM! Read here for context http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamism ). Plus Despotism fits Democracy much better.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:

Communism did create Gulags though (some 100,000,000 people were killed by Communism all over the world throughout the 20th Century) - but Despotism is a better term which encompasses Communism, Fascism and Islamism (NOT ISLAM! Read here for context http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamism ). Plus Despotism fits Democracy much better.

Totalitarian State Capitalism - yes. Communism - no. communism has yet to manifest itself in the modern age in practice, despite the fact that some countries bestowed the label upon themselves or were labeled incorrectly. hopefully you don't actually consider china, dprk, or vietnam as communist societies. anyway, this is really off topic. an issue for another thread i suppose.

yes i suppose it would be much like falling asleep. it would be nice if we could keep dreaming though.

To seperate Marx's idealistic and undefined communism from the real world implementation is essentially a cheat to wash a flawed ideology clean.

In theory communism works
In theory capitalism shouldn't

In practice communism fails outright and capitalism keeps afloat.

And democracy is seperate from these two because you can have democratic communist and capitalist systems.

DaveC said:

I don't see him refuting belief in Heaven in this article at all. I see him refuting belief in miracles.

I find it hard to believe in heaven and not believe in miracles. It seems almost impossible to separate God and Miracles.

"Before we say something is supernatural, let's first make sure it is not natural."

I know that most people define a miracle as an occurance that defies all logic (ie, miraculous healings at Lourdes), but not everybody does. Some people think the fact that they get up everyday and are still breathing is a miracle. Some people think the sun setting and rising everyday is a miracle.

But to answer the question, yes, I believe in Miracles.

indigo tree said:

I find it hard to believe in heaven and not believe in miracles. It seems almost impossible to separate God and Miracles.

"Before we say something is supernatural, let's first make sure it is not natural."

I know that most people define a miracle as an occurance that defies all logic (ie, miraculous healings at Lourdes), but not everybody does. Some people think the fact that they get up everyday and are still breathing is a miracle. Some people think the sun setting and rising everyday is a miracle.

But to answer the question, yes, I believe in Miracles.

That wasn't what was said though. What was said was that he's refuing Heaven.

Undeniable miracle?

Eliminate all other options and then I would be inclined to agree. A lot of things go on in this world, no doubt a few of them appear to be strange but such things are most often pure coincidence.

I wish you could have seen what I did....I'd love to hear your spin on what it "really" was A_Wanderer. It wasn't something like, I wished it would stop raining and it did....It wasn't coincidence either.

:hug:

Wow starsgoblue. I know you probably don't want to subject what is a very personal experience to critique here, but if you ever have the inclination, I'd love to hear about it.

As for my own comment, I am not sure I believe it, thus the "I think". And, I am only saying this in reference to myself, not you starsgoblue, what I am not prepared to do is attribute a miracle to a higher power that intended it to happen.

I once had a dream where I thought was "the lord" trying to tell me something. After some time I realised I was only connecting the lines between my own experiences, feelings and this dream. I also came to believe that it was selfish of me to expect or believe that God was helping me out while so many others, who were far more deserving, were getting screwed. That's my own personal experience.

My doubts are that I have heard of and been at church services where people claim spontaneous physical healing. I don't know whether to discount this as BS, or if to say there is power in belief, or what...

Last edited:
iacrobat said:

I once had a dream where I thought was "the lord" trying to tell me something. After some time I realised I was only connecting the lines between my own experiences, feelings and this dream. I also came to believe that it was selfish of me to expect or believe that God was helping me out while so many others, who were far more deserving, were getting screwed. That's my own personal experience.

God uses people that seem to be the most unlikely to be "picked for the team"....don't discredit yourself. Secondly, don't forget God does speak to us in dreams.....is every meaningful dream from God? Absolutley not. But He can speak to us in dreams sometimes...again, have a little bit of faith in you

I wouldn't be objectionable to sharing with you iacrobat...

starsgoblue said:

God uses people that seem to be the most unlikely to be "picked for the team"....don't discredit yourself. Secondly, don't forget God does speak to us in dreams.....is every meaningful dream from God? Absolutley not. But He can speak to us in dreams sometimes...again, have a little bit of faith in you

I wouldn't be objectionable to sharing with you iacrobat...

Well, that's the thing, I am the likeliest to be picked for the team. I am a wealthy, white, English speaking male, in my late 20's. In this imperfect world, I have more advantages than just about anyone else. I am the least deserving. I don't mean that in a humble or discrediting way. I mean that when I look at the world, there are others with needs that are infinitely greater than mine.

I do not believe God speaks to us in dreams. Although, I do believe that dreams can tell us things.

iacrobat said:

Well, that's the thing, I am the likeliest to be picked for the team. I am a wealthy, white, English speaking male, in my late 20's. In this imperfect world, I have more advantages than just about anyone else. I am the least deserving. I don't mean that in a humble or discrediting way. I mean that when I look at the world, there are others with needs that are infinitely greater than mine.

I do not believe God speaks to us in dreams. Although, I do believe that dreams can tell us things.

Being a wealthy, white, English speaking male in your 20s has no interest to God for His "team". I was speaking of your feelings.

Don't believe God speaks to you in dreams? :eyebrow: Read Acts 2:17-18 again...

See, people who really believe can't be swayed by articles such as this....

I'm not saying believers are right and non believers are wrong, cuz it's not my place to judge.

I like to apply one of Bono's lines in Walk On to the debate over if there is a Heaven or not.

You're packing a suitcase for a place
None of us has been
A place that has to be believed
To be seen

And since for me God and Heaven are real, then so are miracles :)

Either there is one cause (God) or there are causes ad infinitum. This is basically Aquinas' argument for the existence of God. I think there is one cause, and that's God.

I don't have enough faith to think that everyone and everything is just totally random and meaningless....that'd take ALOT of faith.

Especially when you study the nature of the world and everything else, it just screams of a Designer.

This 'Faith' idea is promoted so much because what we believe, we see and feel. Do you believe in God? You'll see him and 'talk' to him in your dreams or even when conscious arroused purely by belief, not actually a supernatural happening (IMO). Miracles, like that article stipulates, are situations created by taking advantage of the fantrabulous laws of probability (of which I have a test tomorrow in). Miracles is such a flawed concept IMO.

Back
Top Bottom