do you believe in miracles? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2004, 04:01 AM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Wow starsgoblue. I know you probably don't want to subject what is a very personal experience to critique here, but if you ever have the inclination, I'd love to hear about it.

As for my own comment, I am not sure I believe it, thus the "I think". And, I am only saying this in reference to myself, not you starsgoblue, what I am not prepared to do is attribute a miracle to a higher power that intended it to happen.

I once had a dream where I thought was "the lord" trying to tell me something. After some time I realised I was only connecting the lines between my own experiences, feelings and this dream. I also came to believe that it was selfish of me to expect or believe that God was helping me out while so many others, who were far more deserving, were getting screwed. That's my own personal experience.

My doubts are that I have heard of and been at church services where people claim spontaneous physical healing. I don't know whether to discount this as BS, or if to say there is power in belief, or what...

Old 10-13-2004, 04:08 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat

I once had a dream where I thought was "the lord" trying to tell me something. After some time I realised I was only connecting the lines between my own experiences, feelings and this dream. I also came to believe that it was selfish of me to expect or believe that God was helping me out while so many others, who were far more deserving, were getting screwed. That's my own personal experience.

God uses people that seem to be the most unlikely to be "picked for the team"....don't discredit yourself. Secondly, don't forget God does speak to us in dreams.....is every meaningful dream from God? Absolutley not. But He can speak to us in dreams sometimes...again, have a little bit of faith in you

I wouldn't be objectionable to sharing with you iacrobat...

Old 10-13-2004, 04:23 AM   #48
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

God uses people that seem to be the most unlikely to be "picked for the team"....don't discredit yourself. Secondly, don't forget God does speak to us in dreams.....is every meaningful dream from God? Absolutley not. But He can speak to us in dreams sometimes...again, have a little bit of faith in you

I wouldn't be objectionable to sharing with you iacrobat...
Well, that's the thing, I am the likeliest to be picked for the team. I am a wealthy, white, English speaking male, in my late 20's. In this imperfect world, I have more advantages than just about anyone else. I am the least deserving. I don't mean that in a humble or discrediting way. I mean that when I look at the world, there are others with needs that are infinitely greater than mine.

I do not believe God speaks to us in dreams. Although, I do believe that dreams can tell us things.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:48 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat

Well, that's the thing, I am the likeliest to be picked for the team. I am a wealthy, white, English speaking male, in my late 20's. In this imperfect world, I have more advantages than just about anyone else. I am the least deserving. I don't mean that in a humble or discrediting way. I mean that when I look at the world, there are others with needs that are infinitely greater than mine.

I do not believe God speaks to us in dreams. Although, I do believe that dreams can tell us things.

Being a wealthy, white, English speaking male in your 20s has no interest to God for His "team". I was speaking of your feelings.

Don't believe God speaks to you in dreams? Read Acts 2:17-18 again...
Old 10-13-2004, 05:06 AM   #50
War Child

lets not hijack the thread here:

iacrobaty@yahoo.co.uk
Old 10-13-2004, 05:09 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry thread!
Old 10-13-2004, 05:50 AM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 03:52 PM
See, people who really believe can't be swayed by articles such as this....

I'm not saying believers are right and non believers are wrong, cuz it's not my place to judge.

I like to apply one of Bono's lines in Walk On to the debate over if there is a Heaven or not.

You're packing a suitcase for a place
None of us has been
A place that has to be believed
To be seen

And since for me God and Heaven are real, then so are miracles
Old 10-13-2004, 06:06 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:52 AM
There are causes and there are events; nothing more and nothing less.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:26 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, God can cause events called miracles. You got it A_Wanderer!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:15 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:52 PM
Either there is one cause (God) or there are causes ad infinitum. This is basically Aquinas' argument for the existence of God. I think there is one cause, and that's God.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:57 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

I don't have enough faith to think that everyone and everything is just totally random and meaningless....that'd take ALOT of faith.

Especially when you study the nature of the world and everything else, it just screams of a Designer.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:01 AM   #57
Refugee

Local Time: 06:22 AM
This 'Faith' idea is promoted so much because what we believe, we see and feel. Do you believe in God? You'll see him and 'talk' to him in your dreams or even when conscious arroused purely by belief, not actually a supernatural happening (IMO). Miracles, like that article stipulates, are situations created by taking advantage of the fantrabulous laws of probability (of which I have a test tomorrow in). Miracles is such a flawed concept IMO.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Well when you see the stuff I've seen...trust me. Like I said, it wasn't the kinda "Oh I wish it's just stop raining" and then it does stuff...

But until I did, I used to think similarly...