Do you believe in God???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

God?

• I believe in A God, just not sure how it all works...

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I believe in a specific God

Votes: 51 57.3%
  • I believe in many Gods

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I believe God is inside us

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don't believe in any God

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters

Zooropa

Acrobat
Just answer the poll and if you wish, reply with your answer. There is no need for this to resort to a debate of who is right or wrong, Is there a God or not. Just looking to see what the majority opinion is here!! :)

I don't believe in God or a God.

I believe in the God of Abraham, good and great, just and merciful; three in one - the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; a God Who has given everything so that we may enjoy an eternity in His presence; a God Who has given us just two commandments which form the basis of our entire existence:

1. Love God with all your heart, mind, body, and soul.

2. Love everyone else as you love yourself.

He is God of Truth, who has given us an existence of Freedom in a universe of Beauty, and who has shown us incomparable Love.

I believe it is fundamentally unknowable whether or not there is a higher being. A mountain of scientific research, as well as my own instincts, make me lean towards the nonexistence of God.

mug,

Oh really? What evidence? Is it really a mountain of it? I was unaware that science had studied the question of God specifically. What experiments have been performed? Where is the hard data produced from these experiments?

Or are you just making a huge inference based on a body of knowledge which amounts to a paltry fraction or what we could know about the universe?

Unless, of course I am mistaken and the universe is easy to understand and close to being all figured out any minute now.

No offense man, but I just want you to think a little bit about what you are saying. If you had just said that your instinct leads you to disbelieve in God, I'd say fine since I can't tell you what to feel. But to say that science has fairly conclusively ruled out the existence of God is a real stretch.

BTW, I believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob with all my heart.

Last edited:
I believe in the God Of Abraham! A mountain of scientific research, my Grandfather who was a scientist, has only reinforced this belief. I go so far to say that its obvious!

Question: Why does someone who doesn't believe in a God use a religious symbol in his signature??? (yes RS, I'm talking about you)

RavenStar said:
The picture in my sig is the Sigil of Baphomet. It is a symbol of Satanism.

Just what I meant, seems quite religious to me, especially for someone who doesn't believe in a God. As far as I know Satan also is a god-like or supernatural creature who wouldn't even exist if God didn't exist. So stating that God doesn't exist (especially - but not necessarily - A god) also means Satan doesn't exist.

Originally posted by whiteflag
But to say that science has fairly conclusively ruled out the existence of God is a real stretch.

Of course it is--that's why I said that neither I--nor anyone, I believe--can possibly know if there is a God. I tend to believe more in natural processes like evolution and the big bang than various actions of a higher being. Of course, you may say, "Well, God set those processes in motion." That is possible as well. I therefore must rely on my instincts, which tend to lean slightly towards the probability that God does not exist.

As an agnostic, however, I put the probability of the existence of some higher being at nearly (or a bit less than) 50%. I think that the probability that Jesus Christ, the Bible, or Christianity in general has the slightest to do with that higher being is infinitesmally small. It's just as likely (or rather, unlikely) to me that Judiasm (my nominal religion), Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, or any other religion in the world is related to that higher being.

Originally posted by Sulawesigirl4
The more I see of the universe and the world around me, the more I am convinced.

Exactly the opposite applies to me.

Last edited:
RavenStar said:
The picture in my sig is the Sigil of Baphomet. It is a symbol of Satanism.

And it looks so peaceful, joyous, and comforting.

</sarcasm>

Does anybody else find it more than a little creepy? Granted, I'm not sure I prefer the pictures of Christ in complete anguish all over the place.

Beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Before my mom nearly died, on her deathbed 20 years ago; the Trinity of Man appeared to her and called her by name ensuring her that they would take care of her.

She has never forgotten that, a miracle happened and her life was spared.

GOD BLESS you whether or not you believe. He loves you regardless:heart:

mug222 said:
I believe it is fundamentally unknowable whether or not there is a higher being. A mountain of scientific research, as well as my own instincts, make me lean towards the nonexistence of God.

Pardon my impudence, but why do you believe knowing whether there is a God is "fundamentally unknowable"? If God DOES exist, what stops Him from revealing Himself to us?

Honestly, I believe God can not only reveal Himself to us, but can convince us of His existence beyond a shadow of a doubt. I further believe that He chooses not to prove Himself, so that our free will can remain intact.

But that is far different than saying God cannot reveal Himself. Why do you think that is so?

Achtung Bubba said:

Pardon my impudence, but why do you believe knowing whether there is a God is "fundamentally unknowable"? If God DOES exist, what stops Him from revealing Himself to us?
Honestly, I believe God can not only reveal Himself to us, but can convince us of His existence beyond a shadow of a doubt. I further believe that He chooses not to prove Himself, so that our free will can remain intact.
But that is far different than saying God cannot reveal Himself. Why do you think that is so?

This is such a twisted tangle of logic that I don't even know where to begin. I never said anything resembling "God cannot reveal himself." In fact, nothing in my statement contradicts anything in yours: my beliefs, if they can be called that, allow for the possibility that God exists and chooses not to show himself. It also allows for the possibility that God exists and has shown himself. It also allows for the possibility that God exists and cannot show himself. It also allows for the possibility that God does not exist and therefore cannot show himself.

In fact, it allows for every conceivable possibility and says that it is impossible in a human's lifetime to know which one is true. How can that possibly be a controversial statement? I don't even understand what you are debating here.

Granted, I'm not sure I prefer the pictures of Christ in complete anguish all over the place.

Hey Kingpin,

Thats one of things that's so great about being a Protestant. We don't have too much of that so that we can focus more on the Resurrection and on life!

Of course I mean no offense by that if anyone around here is Catholic :) I've got nothin but love, nothin but luv for you's guys!

Last edited:
mug222 said:

This is such a twisted tangle of logic that I don't even know where to begin. I never said anything resembling "God cannot reveal himself." In fact, nothing in my statement contradicts anything in yours: my beliefs, if they can be called that, allow for the possibility that God exists and chooses not to show himself. It also allows for the possibility that God exists and has shown himself. It also allows for the possibility that God exists and cannot show himself. It also allows for the possibility that God does not exist and therefore cannot show himself.

In fact, it allows for every conceivable possibility and says that it is impossible in a human's lifetime to know which one is true. How can that possibly be a controversial statement? I don't even understand what you are debating here.

I meant no offense - I was merely seeking a clarification.

I now understand your position a little better, but it begs another question: if it's impossible to know what is true about God, isn't it also impossible to know what's true about anything?

Achtung Bubba said:

I meant no offense - I was merely seeking a clarification.

I now understand your position a little better, but it begs another question: if it's impossible to know what is true about God, isn't it also impossible to know what's true about anything?

Absolutely, and that's why I've often had trouble dealing with certain solipsistic thoughts--how can I prove you exist? How can I prove the entire world I see is not but a figment of my imagination? How can I prove I exist? Descartes had the same line of thinking, but when he arrived at the last question he felt he had arrived at an undeniable truth: "I think, therefore I am." My problem is that I don't understand why that is necessarily self-evident.

I've read books and papers ad infinitum on consciousness and its relation to philosophy, and have determined that I will never be able to answer the above questions. My solution has been to not dwell on these thoughts, since I will never be able to answer them concretely. I ignore them, and they can't torment me anymore--that is, until your question. Thanks a lot. :p

I believe in poetry
I believe in M&Ms
I believe in cheap perfume
I believe in you
I believe in vision
I believe in Television.

i most definately believe in God........but right now i'm thinking over what i really believe about all the other stuff, like theology and such issues.......it's not easy figuring everything out when you've grown up in a conservative christian reformed home..........*hugs* to my parents for raising me right, but i don't know right now........

Hey Stories,

Can I make one suggestion that might help you in the long run?

Get to thoroughly know where you come from before you go seeking other spiritual paths. Make a study of the many expressions of the Christian faith first and never think of it as all the same everywhere. You might be surprised at the number of smart people who just leave the faith without really investigating it outside of the church they grew up in. Then they end up studying other religions with only a fraction of a fraction of Christianity to compare them with(but they think they know all there is to know). Can you see how that can't make for well-informed spiritual descisions?

I know it sounds simple minded to tell you to take the first step before taking another. But people try all the time to take them all at once or else they try to skip steps in their impatience to get moving on. It doesn't have to be that way.

Achtung Bubba said:
I believe in the God of Abraham, good and great, just and merciful; three in one - the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; a God Who has given everything so that we may enjoy an eternity in His presence; a God Who has given us just two commandments which form the basis of our entire existence:

1. Love God with all your heart, mind, body, and soul.

2. Love everyone else as you love yourself.

He is God of Truth, who has given us an existence of Freedom in a universe of Beauty, and who has shown us incomparable Love.

Back
Top Bottom