Do you believe in God??? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: God?
I believe in A God, just not sure how it all works... 17 19.10%
I believe in a specific God 51 57.30%
I believe in many Gods 1 1.12%
I believe God is inside us 2 2.25%
I don't believe in any God 13 14.61%
Other 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2002, 06:20 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Vorsprung, I reccomend the Other Religions post which has quite the discussion on Satanism.

Old 06-27-2002, 08:10 PM   #17
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 07:26 AM
Beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Before my mom nearly died, on her deathbed 20 years ago; the Trinity of Man appeared to her and called her by name ensuring her that they would take care of her.

She has never forgotten that, a miracle happened and her life was spared.

GOD BLESS you whether or not you believe. He loves you regardless

Old 06-27-2002, 08:25 PM   #18
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by mug222
I believe it is fundamentally unknowable whether or not there is a higher being. A mountain of scientific research, as well as my own instincts, make me lean towards the nonexistence of God.
Pardon my impudence, but why do you believe knowing whether there is a God is "fundamentally unknowable"? If God DOES exist, what stops Him from revealing Himself to us?

Honestly, I believe God can not only reveal Himself to us, but can convince us of His existence beyond a shadow of a doubt. I further believe that He chooses not to prove Himself, so that our free will can remain intact.

But that is far different than saying God cannot reveal Himself. Why do you think that is so?
Old 06-27-2002, 09:10 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba

Pardon my impudence, but why do you believe knowing whether there is a God is "fundamentally unknowable"? If God DOES exist, what stops Him from revealing Himself to us?
Honestly, I believe God can not only reveal Himself to us, but can convince us of His existence beyond a shadow of a doubt. I further believe that He chooses not to prove Himself, so that our free will can remain intact.
But that is far different than saying God cannot reveal Himself. Why do you think that is so?
This is such a twisted tangle of logic that I don't even know where to begin. I never said anything resembling "God cannot reveal himself." In fact, nothing in my statement contradicts anything in yours: my beliefs, if they can be called that, allow for the possibility that God exists and chooses not to show himself. It also allows for the possibility that God exists and has shown himself. It also allows for the possibility that God exists and cannot show himself. It also allows for the possibility that God does not exist and therefore cannot show himself.

In fact, it allows for every conceivable possibility and says that it is impossible in a human's lifetime to know which one is true. How can that possibly be a controversial statement? I don't even understand what you are debating here.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:48 PM   #20
The Fly

Quote:
Granted, I'm not sure I prefer the pictures of Christ in complete anguish all over the place.

Hey Kingpin,

Thats one of things that's so great about being a Protestant. We don't have too much of that so that we can focus more on the Resurrection and on life!

Of course I mean no offense by that if anyone around here is Catholic I've got nothin but love, nothin but luv for you's guys!
Old 06-27-2002, 10:18 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by mug222

This is such a twisted tangle of logic that I don't even know where to begin. I never said anything resembling "God cannot reveal himself." In fact, nothing in my statement contradicts anything in yours: my beliefs, if they can be called that, allow for the possibility that God exists and chooses not to show himself. It also allows for the possibility that God exists and has shown himself. It also allows for the possibility that God exists and cannot show himself. It also allows for the possibility that God does not exist and therefore cannot show himself.

In fact, it allows for every conceivable possibility and says that it is impossible in a human's lifetime to know which one is true. How can that possibly be a controversial statement? I don't even understand what you are debating here.
I meant no offense - I was merely seeking a clarification.

I now understand your position a little better, but it begs another question: if it's impossible to know what is true about God, isn't it also impossible to know what's true about anything?
Old 06-27-2002, 10:34 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I believe in one God, the Lord Jesus Christ!

He gave me His salvation, gave me a new lease on life, and for that I am forever grateful!
Old 06-27-2002, 10:48 PM   #23
War Child

Quote:

I meant no offense - I was merely seeking a clarification.

I now understand your position a little better, but it begs another question: if it's impossible to know what is true about God, isn't it also impossible to know what's true about anything?
Absolutely, and that's why I've often had trouble dealing with certain solipsistic thoughts--how can I prove you exist? How can I prove the entire world I see is not but a figment of my imagination? How can I prove I exist? Descartes had the same line of thinking, but when he arrived at the last question he felt he had arrived at an undeniable truth: "I think, therefore I am." My problem is that I don't understand why that is necessarily self-evident.

I've read books and papers ad infinitum on consciousness and its relation to philosophy, and have determined that I will never be able to answer the above questions. My solution has been to not dwell on these thoughts, since I will never be able to answer them concretely. I ignore them, and they can't torment me anymore--that is, until your question. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:53 PM   #24
Refugee

No problem.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:10 PM   #25
Bad Daddy Johnny

I believe in poetry
I believe in M&Ms
I believe in cheap perfume
I believe in you
I believe in vision
I believe in Television.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:20 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:26 AM
I do believe in God!
Old 06-30-2002, 01:15 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i most definately believe in God........but right now i'm thinking over what i really believe about all the other stuff, like theology and such issues.......it's not easy figuring everything out when you've grown up in a conservative christian reformed home..........*hugs* to my parents for raising me right, but i don't know right now........
Old 06-30-2002, 01:26 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've no idea whether God exists or not, so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 06-30-2002, 03:29 AM   #29
The Fly

Hey Stories,

Can I make one suggestion that might help you in the long run?

Get to thoroughly know where you come from before you go seeking other spiritual paths. Make a study of the many expressions of the Christian faith first and never think of it as all the same everywhere. You might be surprised at the number of smart people who just leave the faith without really investigating it outside of the church they grew up in. Then they end up studying other religions with only a fraction of a fraction of Christianity to compare them with(but they think they know all there is to know). Can you see how that can't make for well-informed spiritual descisions?

I know it sounds simple minded to tell you to take the first step before taking another. But people try all the time to take them all at once or else they try to skip steps in their impatience to get moving on. It doesn't have to be that way.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:42 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:26 AM

Quote:
I believe in the God of Abraham, good and great, just and merciful; three in one - the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; a God Who has given everything so that we may enjoy an eternity in His presence; a God Who has given us just two commandments which form the basis of our entire existence:

1. Love God with all your heart, mind, body, and soul.

2. Love everyone else as you love yourself.

He is God of Truth, who has given us an existence of Freedom in a universe of Beauty, and who has shown us incomparable Love.