Do you believe in a God ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you believe ?

• Yes

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters

Mullen4Prez

Banned
Do you believe God created this world. I believe that there is something out there. Here are some of my reasons

I can conceive of a perfect God.
One of the qualities of perfection is existence.

For a sin to exist and Christians to be right then god must exist.

I aint a religoious man and I hate religious people see Zoo Confessionals but I do believe in god.

i hope there's a god.

but it's impossible to know one way or the next. faith is nice, but it involves some level of willful self-deception in order to reconcile perhaps the biggest conumdrum in the enigman of human existence.

so, i choose choice "c" -- i don't know.

I'm an educated, far-left liberal who believes in God. I have questions like everyone, but I know God exists. I see Him in the power of Love and Beauty. Science has no explanation for these.

Mullen4Prez said:

I aint a religoious man and I hate religious people see Zoo Confessionals but I do believe in god.

Do you really hate people just b/c they're religious? :eyebrow:

I do believe in God (the Christian one).

LPU2 said:
I'm an educated, far-left liberal who believes in God. I have questions like everyone, but I know God exists. I see Him in the power of Love and Beauty. Science has no explanation for these.

:up:

i am a "liberal" who believes in God and tries to live thir life by his words. it's funny cause i hardly know anybody who believes in God so i can't really say i dislike religious people cause i dont know them.

Re: Re: Do you believe in a God ?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I do believe in God (the Christian one).

God is a Christian?

I don't understand this. As I understand it, the main teachings of Jesus were about love. Loving your fellow man, etc. So if a person is loving of all people, are they a Christian? No. In order to be a Christian, you have to follow all these little rules so that you can really be a Christian. And then there's some who interpret the Bible as saying that if you believe that Jesus was the son of God, then you get into Heaven. If you believe otherwise, you go to hell. So even if you follow all the philosophical teachings of Jesus (the morals and values that he taught) you're still doomed to go to Hell just bc you were born in Saudi Arabia, or Africa, or China?? I do believe in God, but I don't believe in religion.

I've said it before on this forum and I think it's REALLY applicable:

I went looking for sprits, I found alcohol. I went looking for souls, and I bought some style. I wanted to meet God, but you sold me religion. - Bono

I think that religion should be outlawed. There should only be guidelines that help people to formulate their own beliefs on life (and what happens in the afterlife). When we have religion, we have conflict. From the Middle Ages till now, religion is the cause of millions of deaths. Why? Most religions speak out against killing. So these conflicts occur when people feel that their religion is correct and other religions are wrong/evil. But if they used the teachings of their religion as a guideline for living, they would not feel such a strong faith to their religion. Does anyone else here agree with me or am I rambling on like an idiot???

Freedom of religion is a constitutional right, as it has been for over 200 years. It's not likely to change, especially in this century. While I feel that people often make their own god or believe that an all-knowing god would support everything their feeble minds believe in, I believe in a God that is much bigger than myself. I would like to know much more about that man upstairs than I know about the religious rituals that we cleverly came up with.

Re: Re: Re: Do you believe in a God ?

unosdostres14 said:

God is a Christian?

Before you go off on some rant, have a closer read and see that the poster meant they believe in God as per the deity described by Christianity and believed in by Christians.

I would describe myself as a religious moderate, leaning conservative, who believes in the Christian deity.

unosdostres14 said:
When we have religion, we have conflict.

No we don't. When we have people twisting religion for their own purposes, we have conflict.

I grew up in a non religious Jewish family. I was confused because during Christmas, my parents bought a tree and we would decorate it. We would also open up present's of Christmas morning. But then, I would light the Menorah for the eight nights of Chanukah. In the last 3 1/2 years of my life, I have let God into my life and the most amazing things have happened. It is not a religious thing with me. It is very spiritual experience for me. I love God and when I stop and listen to him or it, I make better choices in my life and I am also of service to my community. It seems I get back what I give out. I do have a big dream that I would love to have filled and that is of course to meet U2. After being a fan for 20 years it would be so perfect. I do know there is no such thing as perfection but it would be pretty close. Society has made God a bad a punshing God and I believed that for many years and it got me no where except depression and lonliness.:wink:

Last edited:
Axver said:

No we don't. When we have people twisting religion for their own purposes, we have conflict.

we have conflict when any religion abandons humility and insists on a single truth, way, and life.

only religion -- the fear of God combined with tantalizing promises of an imagined afterlife -- can crash airplanes into buildings.

Irvine511 said:
only religion -- the fear of God combined with tantalizing promises of an imagined afterlife -- can crash airplanes into buildings.
Only when people of extremes believe that acts of genocide and terrorism is doing God's work.

Macfistowannabe said:
Only when people of extremes believe that acts of genocide and terrorism is doing God's work.

yes. the power of their belief in God -- their chauvinism, their machismo, their insecurity -- drives people to genocide and terrorism.

religion has always been a great motivator to get people to kill one another.

Irvine511 said:
yes. the power of their belief in God -- their chauvinism, their machismo, their insecurity -- drives people to genocide and terrorism.

religion has always been a great motivator to get people to kill one another.
Do you believe that this violent fanaticism exists within present-day United States? If so, how?

Macfistowannabe said:
Do you believe that this violent fanaticism exists within present-day United States? If so, how?

the potential is in all societies, especially those who have little else but their religion (and extreme interpretations of it) and a strong sense of being humiliated. the US is a rather successful society, and even our very poor are better off than the poor in other countries, and while Americans might feel a sense of humiliation on a day-to-day level -- and this often manifests itself when some dude shoots up a post office -- we don't yet have the sense of monolithic cultural embarassment/humiliation that countries that tend to produce suicidal terrorists have.

but, yes, it is there, and yes, it can be tapped into should circumstance and charismatic leaders emerge, and yes, it could be fanatical suicidal Christians just as much as it can be fanatical suicidal Muslims.

no religion is immune from this sickness that has infected a tiny minority of Islam.

Back
Top Bottom