Do you believe in a God ? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Do you believe ?
Yes 33 63.46%
No 5 9.62%
Don't Know 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
Don't know. I can definitely say I don't believe in the Christian God though.
ditto

Old 02-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 02:32 PM
I think that religion should be outlawed. There should only be guidelines that help people to formulate their own beliefs on life (and what happens in the afterlife). When we have religion, we have conflict. From the Middle Ages till now, religion is the cause of millions of deaths. Why? Most religions speak out against killing. So these conflicts occur when people feel that their religion is correct and other religions are wrong/evil. But if they used the teachings of their religion as a guideline for living, they would not feel such a strong faith to their religion. Does anyone else here agree with me or am I rambling on like an idiot???

Old 02-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Freedom of religion is a constitutional right, as it has been for over 200 years. It's not likely to change, especially in this century. While I feel that people often make their own god or believe that an all-knowing god would support everything their feeble minds believe in, I believe in a God that is much bigger than myself. I would like to know much more about that man upstairs than I know about the religious rituals that we cleverly came up with.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:57 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:32 AM
I believe in a god. I just don't tie him down to any specific faith as of now.

Angela
Old 02-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #20
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Re: Re: Re: Do you believe in a God ?

Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14

God is a Christian?
Before you go off on some rant, have a closer read and see that the poster meant they believe in God as per the deity described by Christianity and believed in by Christians.

I would describe myself as a religious moderate, leaning conservative, who believes in the Christian deity.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #21
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14
When we have religion, we have conflict.
No we don't. When we have people twisting religion for their own purposes, we have conflict.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-23-2005, 12:07 AM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:32 AM

I grew up in a non religious Jewish family. I was confused because during Christmas, my parents bought a tree and we would decorate it. We would also open up present's of Christmas morning. But then, I would light the Menorah for the eight nights of Chanukah. In the last 3 1/2 years of my life, I have let God into my life and the most amazing things have happened. It is not a religious thing with me. It is very spiritual experience for me. I love God and when I stop and listen to him or it, I make better choices in my life and I am also of service to my community. It seems I get back what I give out. I do have a big dream that I would love to have filled and that is of course to meet U2. After being a fan for 20 years it would be so perfect. I do know there is no such thing as perfection but it would be pretty close. Society has made God a bad a punshing God and I believed that for many years and it got me no where except depression and lonliness.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:04 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Religion can be bad ~ state enforced atheism is worse.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

No we don't. When we have people twisting religion for their own purposes, we have conflict.
Exactly
Old 02-23-2005, 08:01 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

we have conflict when any religion abandons humility and insists on a single truth, way, and life.

only religion -- the fear of God combined with tantalizing promises of an imagined afterlife -- can crash airplanes into buildings.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:23 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
only religion -- the fear of God combined with tantalizing promises of an imagined afterlife -- can crash airplanes into buildings.
Only when people of extremes believe that acts of genocide and terrorism is doing God's work.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #27
Refugee

yes
Old 02-23-2005, 08:33 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Only when people of extremes believe that acts of genocide and terrorism is doing God's work.

yes. the power of their belief in God -- their chauvinism, their machismo, their insecurity -- drives people to genocide and terrorism.

religion has always been a great motivator to get people to kill one another.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
yes. the power of their belief in God -- their chauvinism, their machismo, their insecurity -- drives people to genocide and terrorism.

religion has always been a great motivator to get people to kill one another.
Do you believe that this violent fanaticism exists within present-day United States? If so, how?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Do you believe that this violent fanaticism exists within present-day United States? If so, how?

the potential is in all societies, especially those who have little else but their religion (and extreme interpretations of it) and a strong sense of being humiliated. the US is a rather successful society, and even our very poor are better off than the poor in other countries, and while Americans might feel a sense of humiliation on a day-to-day level -- and this often manifests itself when some dude shoots up a post office -- we don't yet have the sense of monolithic cultural embarassment/humiliation that countries that tend to produce suicidal terrorists have.

but, yes, it is there, and yes, it can be tapped into should circumstance and charismatic leaders emerge, and yes, it could be fanatical suicidal Christians just as much as it can be fanatical suicidal Muslims.

no religion is immune from this sickness that has infected a tiny minority of Islam.