Do we put our beliefs in a box? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2003, 12:59 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Do we put our beliefs in a box?

So...liberal. Conservative. Democrat. Republican. I have a very hard time feeling at home in any of these categories. I (as some of you have noticed ) am for debt cancellation and aid, foreign trade reform. For school vouchers. Against a war on Iraq. (95%) against abortion. Don't like Bush's tax cut. Yada yada. Some of these are "conservative" and some are more "liberal." Any one else like me? I worry sometimes that a lot of Americans, and I'd imagine other countries too, indentify with a label rather than thinking the acutal issues through. Maybe it's the parties that are not consistent, instead of me.

Any thoughts?

SD

Old 01-09-2003, 01:30 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 05:32 PM
I am neither, I believe what I believe and I don't care what I get labeled. I am usually afraid to speak out because I don't like to fight. and I'm scared of being yelled at So guess I should leave FYM

Old 01-09-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

But if you don't pick a label the world will have a much harder time generalizing you. Pick a label damnit! : )
Old 01-09-2003, 01:52 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
But if you don't pick a label the world will have a much harder time generalizing you. Pick a label damnit! : )
Unfortunately, if you try to live without a label, the world will either give you one or create one for you.

As to your original point SD, most people probably have beliefs that are not fully consistent with a label. Also, many people adopt a label, but have beliefs that are inconsistant with the adopted label.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:17 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:32 PM
no box please

The world can label me if they want, but they would be wrong.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:26 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Do we put our beliefs in a box?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
So...liberal. Conservative. Democrat. Republican. I have a very hard time feeling at home in any of these categories. I (as some of you have noticed ) am for debt cancellation and aid, foreign trade reform. For school vouchers. Against a war on Iraq. (95%) against abortion. Don't like Bush's tax cut. Yada yada. Some of these are "conservative" and some are more "liberal." Any one else like me? I worry sometimes that a lot of Americans, and I'd imagine other countries too, indentify with a label rather than thinking the acutal issues through. Maybe it's the parties that are not consistent, instead of me.

Any thoughts?

SD
Socially conservative, economically liberal?
Old 01-09-2003, 03:33 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:32 PM

Im not any label, I have my views on things and if it makes people feel better to label me than thats fine label me. I frankly dont care what other label me as.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:35 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:32 PM

Can it be a "lockbox?"
Old 01-09-2003, 04:48 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Do we put our beliefs in a box?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

Any thoughts?

SD
I think it depends on the issue with me. I would rather be known as a thinker than be labled.

Here...most probably think of me as conservative.....Amongst my more religious friends, I am known as the liberal.

Maybe it all has to do with what you are comparing yourself to? Or who is comparing you?

My beliefs have changed with time as well......
Old 01-09-2003, 07:41 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 03:32 PM
I get labeled by many ppl. Liberals call me conservative. Conservatives call me liberal. I just make decsions on what i think is right. I dont need no politcain to follow i am a leader and i follow my heart instead of some dumb-ass trying to round the troops.

If anyone knew me in real life they would soon find out i love to argue about anything but am quick to step out if i dont know what i'm talking about. People like labels it keeps them in check.