DNA and Down's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's so hard to take care of a child with Down's Syndrome. I'm pro-choice, so I wouldn't oppose abortion in the case of Down's Syndrome.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
Yesterday I took my mom to Denny's for supper and we had to sit next to this elderly couple with two middle aged Down's sons. They seemed quite a handful. While I do have issues with a healthy child being aborted, I do think that in the case of Down's babies it may be best for everyone in the long run. They usually have health problems too and can be a very large financial and emotional burden on the family as well as the community. I feel awful saying so but that's how I feel.

I am currently working at a child care center where there are two children afflicted with Down Syndrome, both between 10 and 12 years old. One is quite self-reliant, while the other has a severe case, and requires constant- and I do mean constant- supervision. Discounting a major breakthrough, I cannot see the latter ever being able to be left alone for even the slightest period of time. It is really a terrible shame, as she seems to be a mere shadow of a person. Nonetheless, I realize that it is presumptuous on my part to assume that, owing only to her condition, she cannot attain whatever it is that society considers to be a "normal" or a "happy" life, or that she does not have a sense of self-worth or fulfillment. To me, she raises difficult questions about the manner in which society defines a worth-while life, and I cannot help but think of "Miracle Drug" when working with her. Even then, she is a responsibility of almost unthinkable proportions, and it must be exceedingly difficult on her parents to live with her, as well as her teachers and other people either directly or indirectly involved with her. I suppose that I have to agree with many others here when they say that there are no simple answers here, especially with the question of when a person's potential cost to others makes that life dispensable.

Back
Top Bottom