Dixie Chicks Explain Anti-Bush Comment - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2003, 01:04 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

My wife and I dress up too......I love to ro......I am sharing to much

Old 03-16-2003, 02:28 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 AM
*calls Thread Rip-off Police*
*Undisclosed Parties Implicated in Plot to Steal Thread*

I doubt if the effects of this controversy will last beyond the war. Just about every popular musician or movie star or whatever starts to get flack after a steady stream of nice press. The controversy might concern a divorce, an affair (or both), overexposure, a picture in the "wrong" publication, and God knows what else. After time the controversy blows over and people, generally speaking, stop thinking about it because it's generally not exactly like the star committed murder or joined the Klan.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:40 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
*calls Thread Rip-off Police*
*Undisclosed Parties Implicated in Plot to Steal Thread*
goodness. i was just kidding around.

i thought this place could use a little levity lately....
Old 03-16-2003, 02:55 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Screaming Flower, the thing about the Thread Rip-Off Police and "undisclosed parties" was supposed to be a joke. Did I screw up again (I screwed up a thread of Dreadsox' yesterday )
Old 03-16-2003, 02:56 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

oops. i thought you were being serious. my bad.

Old 03-16-2003, 09:05 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I'm a fiend. I even wear medieval costumes and stuff on occasion.
On that note, I feel I should inform y'all that I do not dress up in Civil War period clothing.

~U2Alabama
Old 03-16-2003, 09:12 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

I do dress up in a Grenadier outfit and harass people in Boston around the site of the Boston Massacre and Fanuel Hall on occasion. Once I arrested Ben Franklin. I did accidently run the bayonett through my boot... OUCH!!!!!

Sorry...back to the Dixie Chicks....

I am proud of her for making her statements.
I am disappointed she did it on foreign soil....which for some reason really pisses me off.
I do appreciate the fans boycotting....

I am just one big contradiction.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

You might already have said this and I just missed it. But I wondered if you agree with those people who think "Dixie" is racist, or not?
I personally do not think the term "Dixie" in and of itself is racist. I even find the tune commonly referred to as "Dixie" to be beutifully adapted as a bluegrass tune, one which has been covered by liberal musicians such as David Grisman and the late Jerry Garcia.

And I agree with Gabrielvox that there is no racist intent on the part of the Dixie Chicks in their nomenclature; I was merely posing a "political correctness" scenario on this band who currently has the favor of the anti-war interests. I won't mention double standards. Oppos, I just did. Never mind.

whenhiphop, I guess you don't think listeners should have a say in what is played on the radio stations they listen to? I see the listener as a target market audience, and occasionally stations see the need to follow the request of their listeners. However, I think this rarely happens.

I agree with you about artists playing at inaugurations, though. If I boycotted artists who have played at Democratic functions, my expansive musical tastes would be much smaller. The Eagles, Tom Petty and others come to mind. Hey, I still listen to Sheryl Crow.

~U2Alabama
Old 03-16-2003, 09:44 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Sorry...back to the Dixie Chicks....

I am proud of her for making her statements.
I am disappointed she did it on foreign soil....which for some reason really pisses me off.
I do appreciate the fans boycotting....

I am just one big contradiction.
that's how i feel too. i think it's great they took a stand and spoke their minds. i just think it would have really taken guts to say it in texas.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:41 AM   #70
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Hey, I still listen to Sheryl Crow.

~U2Alabama

I think that says alot.

We all must remember that musicians are people like everyone else. It must be hard to have your every leaning either way under the glare of the public eye..at some point they must just want to let it all hang out and say whatever is on their mind - do they do it to be cool or to gain publicity? Maybe some do, but I'd hazard that for the most part when you hear a celebrity come out and say something they do it partly out of frustration at being told by their agents/managers to keep their mouths shut all the time, when sometimes they just want to be afforded the very same freedom to speak that we all enjoy.

As for the Dixie Chicks, it's been mentioned in different posts that a. they performed at Bush's inaugeration and b. one of them recently stated that they were disappointed in his current performance, but both statements haven't really been commented on in one post. I think this is probably a very real and common sentiment amongst alot of Americans, that they were happy to see Bush sworn in, but now the honeymoon is over so to speak, and some may even be wishing they hadn't voted him in in the first place. I don't see a duality in the Dixie Chicks saying what they have now, I see them saying 'holy shit, this is who we previously supported???'

And shouldn't they just like everyone else have the right to reevaluate their choices?

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 03-17-2003, 06:26 AM   #71
Refugee

I feel pretty unresolved about the issue of celebrities and using it as a way to make their voice louder. Yes, I know, a strange situation for a U2 fan, who's members and front-man especially are always voicing what they believe.

Ultimately, they do have the right to voice their opinions. The negative consequence is that ignorant people (and there are too many of them around) may be directly influenced by what such celebrities think. At the moment, I'm fuming over Bob Geldoff's participation in the Anti-Euro campaign. It angers me, but why shouldn't they be able to express their opinions?

It is good however, that the Dixie Chicks expressed their opinions. Not least of all because the member feels that way, but also because they've voiced something I do hear a lot of. I've lost count of the number of Texans who come out and apologise for being Texan because of Mr. Bush. They shouldn't apologise, of course, but its such a strange thing to do.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 03-17-2003, 08:33 AM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox
We all must remember that musicians are people like everyone else. It must be hard to have your every leaning either way under the glare of the public eye..at some point they must just want to let it all hang out and say whatever is on their mind - do they do it to be cool or to gain publicity? Maybe some do, but I'd hazard that for the most part when you hear a celebrity come out and say something they do it partly out of frustration at being told by their agents/managers to keep their mouths shut all the time, when sometimes they just want to be afforded the very same freedom to speak that we all enjoy.
Good point.

I don't know why some people in this country are getting all bent out of shape about celebrities voicing their opinions. They say that the celebrities are not shaping their views-I don't think that's the celebrities' intention, I think they're just expressing their opinion just like anyone else, and if you agree, fine, if not, that's fine, too.

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox
As for the Dixie Chicks, it's been mentioned in different posts that a. they performed at Bush's inaugeration and b. one of them recently stated that they were disappointed in his current performance, but both statements haven't really been commented on in one post. I think this is probably a very real and common sentiment amongst alot of Americans, that they were happy to see Bush sworn in, but now the honeymoon is over so to speak, and some may even be wishing they hadn't voted him in in the first place. I don't see a duality in the Dixie Chicks saying what they have now, I see them saying 'holy shit, this is who we previously supported???'

And shouldn't they just like everyone else have the right to reevaluate their choices?
Exactly.

People are allowed to change their minds about a president.

Angela
Old 03-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

I agree. Celebrities are people like everyone else. They have the same rights and freedoms that I do. If they don't like Policy X, they have the right to say so. I don't have to agree if I don't like it. I'm glad the girl from the Dixie Chicks spoke up, too; she has the right to her opinion and shouldn't keep her mouth shut just because she is a singer. She has the right to change her mind about Bush. I have cousins in Texas who don't like Bush. My sister's boyfriend is from Texas and doesn't like the statue of Bush Sr. in the Houston airport. I'm sure others feel the same way.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:17 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Looks like the brave Dixie Chicks have chickened out. They are now backpeddling and apoligizing for the statement. Lame.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish
Looks like the brave Dixie Chicks have chickened out. They are now backpeddling and apoligizing for the statement. Lame.
Not lame. They realize that they have offended a portion of their target audience. It doesn't look like they were ready for a career change to political analyst.

Do they have the right to make their statement? Yes.

Do fans have the right to make their statements? Yes.

Do $$$ frequently take precedence over standing by our principles? Yes.

Will many people remember this incident in three months time? No.