Dixie Chicks Explain Anti-Bush Comment - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2003, 10:07 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
3) Obviously we're at such an advanced point in our culture that we ban artists for being unpatriotic.
It is a stretch to say that we "ban our artists." The news I have heard in my area is that some stations have chosen to follow the requests of their listeners who called in large numbers to request that the Dixie Chicks not be played in response to their overseas comments. In particular, this is what occurred at the biggest country station on the Gulf Coast, in Panama City, Florida, which happens to be home to Tyndal Air Force Base and a Naval Installation. The local area voted overwhelmingly for Bush.

For the record, I was at an auto service department yesterday morning in Birmingham, Alabama, and the girl at the desk had her radio on a country station. It was playing the Dixie Chicks, so they have not been "banned" or even boycotted here in this conservative bastion.

Why is it okay to boycott conservative-thinking individuals or businesses, but not liberal-thinking individuals or businesses?

Oh, and another note: The Dixie Chicks performed at Inauguration festivities for George W. Bush when he was elected Governor of Texas. Maybe some of you will re-think your defense of them.

~U2Alabama

Old 03-15-2003, 10:13 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Here's the etymology of the name "Dixie" from the American Heritage Dictionary. It says:

Originally a nickname for New Orleans, from dixie, a ten-dollar bill issued by a New Orleans bank prior to the Civil War, with a large Dix printed on each side, from French dix, ten, from Latin decem.

Old 03-15-2003, 10:16 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

The Confederate battle flag does not fly above the Alabama State Capitol. It flies on some little "memorial garden" on the Capitol grounds somewhere.

~U2Alabama
You're right. I just knew there was a controversy over the fact that it's shown in public near the Capitol, I couldn't remember the exact location. Damn, that's embarrassing.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:24 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The big controversy was during former Governor/Amway salesman Guy Hunt's administration, when it still flew over the Capitol, and African-American state Senators and Congressmanrequested (rightfully so) that it be removed. When Hunt was removed from office, the new Governor, Jim Folsom, took the flag down. I don't think it has flown on the Capitol since that time. Personally, I would be happy if it were removed from Capitol grounds, but since that building also served as a Confederate governement building, I doubt that will ever happen.

~U2Alabama
Old 03-15-2003, 10:33 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Here's the etymology of the name "Dixie" from the American Heritage Dictionary. It says:

Originally a nickname for New Orleans, from dixie, a ten-dollar bill issued by a New Orleans bank prior to the Civil War, with a large Dix printed on each side, from French dix, ten, from Latin decem.
Or if you research it beyond the dictionary, you will find that the "source" of the term and its application to the South is a subject of over a century of debate. Here is some information from an Auburn University webpage:

The origin of the name 'Dixie' has been told many ways throught the years. One of the more popular meanings is that it came from the French term for ten, dix. This was printed across the back of ten dollar bills that were issued by the Citizens' Bank of Louisiana before The War Between the States. Another popular idea given for the name 'Dixie' came about from the Mason-Dixon Line. This was a boundary line between Pennsylvania and Maryland that came about from a dispute between two families: the Penn family and the Calvert family (from Maryland). This line was named after the two astronomers that surveyed the it, Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon. The dispute had been going on since 1681 when William Penn was given Pennsylvania, two hundred years before The War Between the States started. Just before the war started it was again used as an imaginary boundary between the southern states and the northern states. From that time on the South has been known as 'Dixie'.

http://www.auburn.edu/~mimsric/origindixie.html

Here is some more inconclusive discussion:

http://www.urbanlegends.com/language...ogy/dixie.html

~U2Alabama
Old 03-15-2003, 10:39 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

OK, so it's like other historical controversies: perpetually unresolved. Honestly, I'd never heard the derivation from "Mason-Dixon", although I also must admit that I didn't know the story of that dispute between those big shot families. I'd always taken the Louisiana derivation for granted.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:41 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The big controversy was during former Governor/Amway salesman Guy Hunt's administration, when it still flew over the Capitol, and African-American state Senators and Congressmanrequested (rightfully so) that it be removed. When Hunt was removed from office, the new Governor, Jim Folsom, took the flag down. I don't think it has flown on the Capitol since that time. Personally, I would be happy if it were removed from Capitol grounds, but since that building also served as a Confederate governement building, I doubt that will ever happen.

~U2Alabama
Duh!!! I think they should remove the thing from the grounds, too. But you're right they probably won't move it anytime soon.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:46 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I majored in history with a focus on U.S. and the South. I heard both of them in my coursework but concluded that the political "dixie" came from the line of separation between slave states and free states. And then there is the whole issue of Missourans and some Kansans and southern Illioians wanting to be allowed to own slaves yet the Missouri Compromise forbade this and, well, all hell broke loose. Nonetheless, you will also find "Confederate memorial parks" in these states as many of their citizens fought for the Confederacy.

~U2Alabama
Old 03-15-2003, 11:07 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

I majored in history with an emphasis on.......the Middle Ages. Sometimes that really shows. After all, the study of the Middle Ages also started in France. I'm a fiend. I even wear medieval costumes and stuff on occasion.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:33 PM   #55
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 12:44 AM
Quote:

Well, you often refer to "the real racists" in your threads....I was just curious as to whom you were referring.

~U2Alabama
I don't think I've used the phrase 'the real racists' more than once, including this thread, but if you'd care to spend your time searching the archives for all the times I've allegedly said this that makes you say I 'often refer' to them, feel free to correct me.

As I mentioned, I was not referring to anyone in particular on this forum.

I was referring to what I feel to be a rather ludicrous statement that the Dixie Chicks was a racist name. In particular I can think of a few supremist type bands that make no bones about stating their racial hatred either in their name or that of their songs. I fully do not believe for one minute that is the statement the "Dixie Chicks" are trying to make, regardless of the history of the word "Dixie".

But as you are pressing me for a position on this, do I believe that racists are present on Interference? Yes, as in every community there are. Now why would I need to name names? What would it prove? I would assume that intelligent Interferencers can see it for themselves.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 03-16-2003, 01:40 AM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:44 PM
yeah..
the ironic thing is all these lefties defend dixie junk only because theyre dissing GW.

if they dissed a leftie they would be calling them hicks and racists.

DB9
Old 03-16-2003, 06:29 AM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I'm a fiend. I even wear medieval costumes and stuff on occasion.
My wife and I dress up too......I love to ro......I am sharing to much
Old 03-16-2003, 06:52 AM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I don't know either, but I do know that there has been a movement here in Alabama for the past several years to have the state nickname "Heart of Dixie" removed from car tags. Since "Dixie" historically referred to the treasonous states known as "the Confederacy," some people see the term as a vestige of the slave-holding status of those states.
You might already have said this and I just missed it. But I wondered if you agree with those people who think "Dixie" is racist, or not?
Old 03-16-2003, 07:00 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
yeah..
the ironic thing is all these lefties defend dixie junk only because theyre dissing GW.

if they dissed a leftie they would be calling them hicks and racists.

DB9
No we're not. If an artist got removed from radio station playlists because they criticised a Democrat then I'd be just as outraged.
Old 03-16-2003, 08:55 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:

It is a stretch to say that we "ban our artists." The news I have heard in my area is that some stations have chosen to follow the requests of their listeners who called in large numbers to request that the Dixie Chicks not be played in response to their overseas comments.
So they haven┤t been banned everywhere, but at some stations. Requests of listeners, lol.

Apart from that, it wouldn┤t change my mind a bit if some artist played at the inauguration of an American president. It would be a great honor for most artists, whatever their political opinion may be. MJ was playing piano in the White House when Reagan was President. James Brown is very conservative, but I love his music.