Dixie Chicks Explain Anti-Bush Comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
diamond said:
oh boo-hoo.
at least they have something tangible to blame for their eventual demise for:up::angry:

Lemonite Rocks:up:

DB9

No Lemonite does not. The tripe never ceases to amaze me.

I thought I recognized the tone of Beefeaters comments.

Love that Trent Lott reference there Lemonite.

so this is how you masquerade your bigoted thoughts nowadays?

:down:

:madspit:

It is not a case of government censorship or McCarthyism. Is is a simple case of their target market (fans) reacting adversely to controversial statements made by a member of the band.

But while we are discussing them, couldn't one be of the opinion that their name is both racist and sexist?

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:

But while we are discussing them, couldn't one be of the opinion that their name is both racist and sexist?

~U2Alabama

Maybe if one was high on crack. :crazy:

Or perhaps someone can inform me of how "Dixie" or "Chicks" or a combination of the two could be construed as racist?

(sexist, maybe)

Racist? Let's leave the racist tag for the real racists.

Like....:silent:

:mac:

Beefeater said:
Nice quote, please provide the context, and humor surrounding it et al next time.. However, do you disagree with the quote?

Feel free to disagree about the Prospect of USA becoming a dictatorship, it will never happen in America, and you should feel foolish to allow your hatred of W. to allow you to think it.

Let me tell you straight up, I don't feel at all foolish for feeling that our Republic is in grave danger. Our Congress already operatates under a new set of silent rules, based in fear and intimidation. The Justice Department seems to fancy itself as BigBrother. We are seeing an Iron Curtain of secrecy, and plausible deniability go up around the executive branch. Our court systems are as corrupt as they have ever been. Executive Orders, a tool originally meant as only a sort-of "internal order" within the executive branch is being grossly and unconstitutionally misused. Our Bill of Rights are being systematically fucking destroyed by the JD, as is the legitimacy of our Constitution. Every year since Reagan announced it back in the 80's, every president including Bush Jr. has renewed the Declaration of National Emergency, which gives the Executive Branch at any time they authority to suspend the constitution and declare martial law. The "legal" means to indefinitely suspend the constitution is already in place, in the National Emergency Declarations, various FEMA acts, and other various tools. All that needs to happen is for shit to hit the fan. Meanwhile, we have the world disintegrating around us, and two of the biggest FRAUDs of all time: The privately owned Federal Reserve System, and the privately owned Internal Revenue Service strangling our economy's ability to thrive and threatening our economic legitimacy and validity in a world dropping the dollar like there's no tomorrow and moving back to gold-standard currencies.

What do you know about the Trading with the Enemy Act? Patriot 1 wasn't the first time in the history that the people of America were made the enemy of the United States Government. The U.S. government has no constitutional authority over Sovereign Americans to do the shit it does, but they get away with it through dangerous and unconstitutional legal loopholes. The definition of license is: a permission granted by competent authority to engage in a business or occupation or in an activity otherwise unlawful. Yet through the indoctrination of licenses, we have grown accustomed to asking permission from the government to do what would otherwise be considered lawful. The government is able to do this because it has incorporated itself. The Corporation of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA does not necessarily serve the interests of the Sovereign People of America, and contractually binds you, and I to itself through remnants of the Sheppard-Towner Maternity Act, The Trading with the Enemy Act, and various other acts that have been passed by the U.S. government. In this way, we willfully and legally forfeit our Sovereignty through contractual agreement between the legal entity that is YOU (Your "shadow self" or "Legal Self" is always spelled in ALL CAPS) and the CORPORATION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. This is accomplished through various licenses, social security, and other legal means. In a very real way, the U.S. government owns each and every citizen of of America, at least your "legal self." Do you want to remove yourself from this system? Oh yes, you can, but have you ever tried living without a driver's license? A job, or a business license to make a living for yourself?

Now, due to a whole bag of reasons, we have this ever-present threat of domestic terrorism that keeps us living in fear which the JD manipulates to its advantage.

As far as is relevant, the Patriot act was signed by every legislator on Capitol Hill... Democrats included. And to label W. guilty of Treason?.. Again, you should feel foolish for allowing your hatred of W. to allow you to type such a thing.

Congress is full of legislators who have committed treasonous acts and need to be thrown out on their asses. Both the left and the right. So does the executive branch. Impeachment papers are being drafted on Bush, and is gathering a lot of "silent" congressional support. There are a whole slew of solid, verifiable reasons why Bush has committed Treasonous acts. And you now what? There's even more evidence on Cheney, a man who has run the show "behind the scenes" for years. Do you want to know how Patriot I was passed? It was concieved before 9/11, written afterwards in less than a month, named in true orwellian doublethink fashion, and passed by a highly intimidated congress in a rush late-night session called by the administration. The bill did not go through the usual committee process, NOR DID OVER 90% OF ANY CONGRESSMAN OR WOMAN READ THE BILL. They were told to come to a late-night emergency session of Congress, and shut-up and pass the bill or they'd be considered unpatriotic and unsupportive of 9/11. Do you know why no one read it? Because they weren't GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY. Now, we have the rabid, highly opportunistic Justice Department, drafting ANOTHER, EVEN MORE CRIMINAL bill in SECRET. Patriot II literally makes just about any crime terrorism, leaves it up to the J.D. to define this nebulous term, and gives them sweeping immunities, powers, and secrecies. You can be swept off out of the street without knowing why, held indefinitely without anyone knowing where you are and without representation, tried in a secret court, and executed all in secrecy and immunity. This is just the tip of this bill. It gives the executive branch more powers on paper than HITLER and STALIN had. The J.D. knows not a single Patriot would pass this under normal circumstances, so they've been drafting in secret, and no doubt been waiting for another big terrorist attack to shove it through congress without anyone reading it. A terrorist attack we are constantly told not "if" it will happen, but only a matter of "when".

This War on Terrorism is the new catch-all, ultimate crime, the iconographic, yet nebulous "enemy" that was so eloquently and opportunistically used by BigBrother in Orwell's 1984. War is Peace. The very same doublethink coming out of Bush's mouth. Orwell was a fucking genius, and the parallels between 1984 and current times are encredible. Need I mention the modern-day Ministry of Truth, ie our News Media? Deregulation has created a monster of corporate controlled mega-mergers. I have documented on here before the misrepresentation and lies of the media, but did you know that since I wrote that, an appeals court found FOX News innocent on charges of coersion, downright lieing, and manipulation? No, not because it wasn't true - it was; the court ruled simply that News Media didn't have to tell the truth, no disclaimer needed, and that they could misrepresent and manipulate the news in any way they saw fit. A legal loophole designed to protect skits like SNL's Weekend Report. And now with all this evidence and now THIS, we're supposed to trust and believe in News Media? Or are certain political and corporate interests involved? It's sickening.

There exists in this world a power-elite structure of wealthy and powerful individuals and families. Banking clans, royal monarchies, oil men, etc... Most, but not all are corrupt beyond recognition. They gather to discuss world affairs at the Bilderberg meetings, and their summer camp, Bohemian Grove. They focus their political clout in political organisations like the Cecil Rhodes Round Tables, the Trilateral Commission, think-tanks, and Global Governance bodies. There is a HUGE push for economic globalism and a Pax Americana by many of these individuals, think-tanks, political organisations, and corporations that is NOT in the best interest of this Republic or the world. They are power-driven, and greedy. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The Bush clan is one of these families. Prescott Bush made a fortune dealing with Hitler and the Nazi's during WWII, in direct violation of the Trading with the Enemy Act, while Bush Sr. was steeped in countless scandals from October Surprise to Iran Contra. Now Bush Jr. comes along, and his actions speak louder than words. He has followed to the TEE the recommendations and policy set forth through PNAC documentation. Various other Israeli and Zionist organisations, think-tanks, and politca cohorts have infiltrated the Bush Administration and have been directing U.S. foreign policy in Israel's favour. Can you say the name Richard Perle? Do you know about his "Clean Break" document? Do you know why he is panicking right now, and he and the Bush administration are using fear, intimidation and legal force to stop at all costs any further investigation, debate, or even MENTION of it? Maybe because it has just a little to do with Bush foreign policy, the current war on Iraq, and exposing the corruption and lies of them all. I'm sick of it, and I'm sick of the ever-present rhetoric that our Republic is fine, has in fact never been better, and is that there is nothing to worry about; while the truth of the matter is that our Republic is in serious danger, has already been compromised on many levels, and faces a list of new threats that would take PAGES to fill. Patriot I and II are powers that two of the world's worst ever DICTATORS didn't have on paper, and yet we should "Trust" our federal governement with these powers? Come on, wake up and get real. This is the new world we live in, and it ain't friendly to you and me. It's called the Hegelian Response, the problem-reaction-solution framework, and it's been used systematically with encredible results to advance any kind of political agenda. It's happened with WWI - and the Lusitania, Hitler and his reichstag, WWII - Pearl Harbor, and many, many others. History teaches us this valuable lesson, yet we don't learn. Maybe it's because most of the crap we learn in public school is UNESCO-approved bullshit. The winners always write the history books so they say... It's taken a couple of generations to browbeat Americans into unheard of levels of ignorance. If someone wants a real history lesson, I'd suggest picking up one of Howard Zinn's books. And yet, all of this and more, isn't enough to worry about a functional dictatorship coming to the U.S. government, and contractually, to the American people... :rolleyes: You're right in that the U.S. government will probably never calls itself openly a dictatorship, but what's the difference, if it's functionally the same?

personal opinion on the dixie chicks music is irrelevant; the real issue is pretty clear.

Man...what a mess...

When I said what I said about the US and a dictatorship I was thinking of some coincidences with this Dixie Chick epishode and our experience in the past. We lived in a dictatorship for 20 years, thank God it ended almost 20 years ago. During that period artists, singers and musicians were not allowed to express their thoughts, if their thoughts were against the government. Many were exiled because of a single verse in a single song, what to say of a public statement. I truly hope that it doesn?t happen to you.

gabrielvox said:
Or perhaps someone can inform me of how "Dixie" or "Chicks" or a combination of the two could be construed as racist?

Racist? Let's leave the racist tag for the real racists.

I don't know either, but I do know that there has been a movement here in Alabama for the past several years to have the state nickname "Heart of Dixie" removed from car tags. Since "Dixie" historically referred to the treasonous states known as "the Confederacy," some people see the term as a vestige of the slave-holding status of those states.

Originally posted by gabrielvox
Like....:silent:

Who are you insinuating to be "the real racists"? I would really like to know. I want complain to the moderators, I promise.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:

I don't know either, but I do know that there has been a movement here in Alabama for the past several years to have the state nickname "Heart of Dixie" removed from car tags. Since "Dixie" historically referred to the treasonous states known as "the Confederacy," some people see the term as a vestige of the slave-holding status of those states.

Who are you insinuating to be "the real racists"? I would really like to know. I want complain to the moderators, I promise.

~U2Alabama

As a fellow native and resident of Alabama, let me weigh in on this. There has indeed been quite a controversy over the state's nickname. The term "Dixie", ironically, has a French origin: the French word for "ten" is "dix". It was originally some local currency in New Orleans, which let's not forget was founded and named by the French. This currency became a "dixie". I do not know how the term became equated with the entire South, and by implication the Confederacy. This is tied with another controversy over the fact that the Confederate war flag is still flown over our state capitol building. I do not think anyone around here is accusing anyone else on this forum of being a racist. I think the implication was that the racists are elsewhere.
Just my purple tuppence's worth.

Last edited:
What verte76 just said. :up:

In the town I lived in as a teen there was a chicken joint, part of a chain, called Dixie Lee. Served southern fried chicken. I even worked there one summer...never thought of it as a racist name..hmm..

What is so amazing to me is that 8 months ago, I as a complacent Us citizen would have taken my country's media postion as gospel.
Thank God for the Internet. My ony prayer is for the rest of the mom & dad's coming home from work and watching the major news channnels will see both sides of the issue.

U2Bama said:
Is is a simple case of their target market (fans) reacting adversely to controversial statements made by a member of the band.

This is getting interesting. A discussion about the industry and politics and what to be said...

1) Airplay is Sales.

2) Wasn?t good for their career, but will be forgotten tomorrow. Maybe they?ve irritated some of their fans, given the fact they are from Texas like our favorite American president.

3) Obviously we're at such an advanced point in our culture that we ban artists for being unpatriotic.

verte76 said:

As a fellow native and resident of Alabama, let me weigh in on this. There has indeed been quite a controversy over the state's nickname. The term "Dixie", ironically, has a French origin: the French word for "ten" is "dix". It was originally some local currency in New Orleans, which let's not forget was founded and named by the French. This currency became a "dixie". I do not know how the term became equated with the entire South, and by implication the Confederacy. This is tied with another controversy over the fact that the Confederate war flag is still flown over our state capitol building. I do not think anyone around here is accusing anyone else on this forum of being a racist. I think the implication was that the racists are elsewhere.
Just my purple tuppence's worth.

The geo-political association with the term "Dixie" is more likely traced to the "Mason-Dixon Line," originally charted to define two feuding families' property dispute, but later the defining boundary in the War Between the States (Maryland-Pennsylvania border specifically). This is how it became associated with the 11 treasonous slave states and Kentucky and Maryland.

The Confederate battle flag does not fly above the Alabama State Capitol. It flies on some little "memorial garden" on the Capitol grounds somewhere.

~U2Alabama

gabrielvox said:
What verte76 just said.

Well, you often refer to "the real racists" in your threads, and in this one, you seemed to be making a simile to one of them with "Like...[silent]" as though you were going to name one but then censored yourself. You introduced it. I was just curious as to whom you were referring.

~U2Alabama

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
3) Obviously we're at such an advanced point in our culture that we ban artists for being unpatriotic.

It is a stretch to say that we "ban our artists." The news I have heard in my area is that some stations have chosen to follow the requests of their listeners who called in large numbers to request that the Dixie Chicks not be played in response to their overseas comments. In particular, this is what occurred at the biggest country station on the Gulf Coast, in Panama City, Florida, which happens to be home to Tyndal Air Force Base and a Naval Installation. The local area voted overwhelmingly for Bush.

For the record, I was at an auto service department yesterday morning in Birmingham, Alabama, and the girl at the desk had her radio on a country station. It was playing the Dixie Chicks, so they have not been "banned" or even boycotted here in this conservative bastion.

Why is it okay to boycott conservative-thinking individuals or businesses, but not liberal-thinking individuals or businesses?

Oh, and another note: The Dixie Chicks performed at Inauguration festivities for George W. Bush when he was elected Governor of Texas. Maybe some of you will re-think your defense of them.

~U2Alabama

Here's the etymology of the name "Dixie" from the American Heritage Dictionary. It says:

Originally a nickname for New Orleans, from dixie, a ten-dollar bill issued by a New Orleans bank prior to the Civil War, with a large Dix printed on each side, from French dix, ten, from Latin decem.

U2Bama said:

The Confederate battle flag does not fly above the Alabama State Capitol. It flies on some little "memorial garden" on the Capitol grounds somewhere.

~U2Alabama

You're right. I just knew there was a controversy over the fact that it's shown in public near the Capitol, I couldn't remember the exact location. Damn, that's embarrassing.:reject:

Last edited:
The big controversy was during former Governor/Amway salesman Guy Hunt's administration, when it still flew over the Capitol, and African-American state Senators and Congressmanrequested (rightfully so) that it be removed. When Hunt was removed from office, the new Governor, Jim Folsom, took the flag down. I don't think it has flown on the Capitol since that time. Personally, I would be happy if it were removed from Capitol grounds, but since that building also served as a Confederate governement building, I doubt that will ever happen.

~U2Alabama

verte76 said:
Here's the etymology of the name "Dixie" from the American Heritage Dictionary. It says:

Originally a nickname for New Orleans, from dixie, a ten-dollar bill issued by a New Orleans bank prior to the Civil War, with a large Dix printed on each side, from French dix, ten, from Latin decem.

Or if you research it beyond the dictionary, you will find that the "source" of the term and its application to the South is a subject of over a century of debate. Here is some information from an Auburn University webpage:

The origin of the name 'Dixie' has been told many ways throught the years. One of the more popular meanings is that it came from the French term for ten, dix. This was printed across the back of ten dollar bills that were issued by the Citizens' Bank of Louisiana before The War Between the States. Another popular idea given for the name 'Dixie' came about from the Mason-Dixon Line. This was a boundary line between Pennsylvania and Maryland that came about from a dispute between two families: the Penn family and the Calvert family (from Maryland). This line was named after the two astronomers that surveyed the it, Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon. The dispute had been going on since 1681 when William Penn was given Pennsylvania, two hundred years before The War Between the States started. Just before the war started it was again used as an imaginary boundary between the southern states and the northern states. From that time on the South has been known as 'Dixie'.

http://www.auburn.edu/~mimsric/origindixie.html

Here is some more inconclusive discussion:

http://www.urbanlegends.com/language/etymology/dixie.html

~U2Alabama

OK, so it's like other historical controversies: perpetually unresolved. Honestly, I'd never heard the derivation from "Mason-Dixon", although I also must admit that I didn't know the story of that dispute between those big shot families. I'd always taken the Louisiana derivation for granted.

U2Bama said:
The big controversy was during former Governor/Amway salesman Guy Hunt's administration, when it still flew over the Capitol, and African-American state Senators and Congressmanrequested (rightfully so) that it be removed. When Hunt was removed from office, the new Governor, Jim Folsom, took the flag down. I don't think it has flown on the Capitol since that time. Personally, I would be happy if it were removed from Capitol grounds, but since that building also served as a Confederate governement building, I doubt that will ever happen.

~U2Alabama

Duh!!! I think they should remove the thing from the grounds, too. But you're right they probably won't move it anytime soon.

I majored in history with a focus on U.S. and the South. I heard both of them in my coursework but concluded that the political "dixie" came from the line of separation between slave states and free states. And then there is the whole issue of Missourans and some Kansans and southern Illioians wanting to be allowed to own slaves yet the Missouri Compromise forbade this and, well, all hell broke loose. Nonetheless, you will also find "Confederate memorial parks" in these states as many of their citizens fought for the Confederacy.

~U2Alabama

I majored in history with an emphasis on.......the Middle Ages. Sometimes that really shows. After all, the study of the Middle Ages also started in France. I'm a fiend. I even wear medieval costumes and stuff on occasion.

U2Bama said:

Well, you often refer to "the real racists" in your threads....I was just curious as to whom you were referring.

~U2Alabama

I don't think I've used the phrase 'the real racists' more than once, including this thread, but if you'd care to spend your time searching the archives for all the times I've allegedly said this that makes you say I 'often refer' to them, feel free to correct me.

As I mentioned, I was not referring to anyone in particular on this forum.

I was referring to what I feel to be a rather ludicrous statement that the Dixie Chicks was a racist name. In particular I can think of a few supremist type bands that make no bones about stating their racial hatred either in their name or that of their songs. I fully do not believe for one minute that is the statement the "Dixie Chicks" are trying to make, regardless of the history of the word "Dixie".

But as you are pressing me for a position on this, do I believe that racists are present on Interference? Yes, as in every community there are. Now why would I need to name names? What would it prove? I would assume that intelligent Interferencers can see it for themselves.

yeah..
the ironic thing is all these lefties defend dixie junk only because theyre dissing GW.:down:

if they dissed a leftie they would be calling them hicks and racists.

DB9

verte76 said:
I'm a fiend. I even wear medieval costumes and stuff on occasion.

My wife and I dress up too......I love to ro......I am sharing to much:eek: :banghead:

U2Bama said:

You might already have said this and I just missed it. But I wondered if you agree with those people who think "Dixie" is racist, or not?

diamond said:
yeah..
the ironic thing is all these lefties defend dixie junk only because theyre dissing GW.:down:

if they dissed a leftie they would be calling them hicks and racists.

DB9

No we're not. If an artist got removed from radio station playlists because they criticised a Democrat then I'd be just as outraged.

U2Bama said:

It is a stretch to say that we "ban our artists." The news I have heard in my area is that some stations have chosen to follow the requests of their listeners who called in large numbers to request that the Dixie Chicks not be played in response to their overseas comments.

So they haven?t been banned everywhere, but at some stations. Requests of listeners, lol.

Apart from that, it wouldn?t change my mind a bit if some artist played at the inauguration of an American president. It would be a great honor for most artists, whatever their political opinion may be. MJ was playing piano in the White House when Reagan was President. James Brown is very conservative, but I love his music.

Back
Top Bottom