disrespectful Canadians..... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2003, 07:00 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:19 PM
disrespectful Canadians.....

MONTREAL -- Fans booed during the playing of the U.S. national anthem before Thursday night's New York Islanders game against the Montreal Canadiens in Montreal.

The sellout crowd of 21,000 at Bell Centre was asked to ``show your support and respect for two great nations'' before the singing of the American and Canadian national anthems.

But a significant portion of the crowd booed throughout ``The Star-Spangled Banner'' in an apparent display of their displeasure with the U.S.-led war against Iraq.

Islanders player Mark Parrish, who's from Bloomington (Minn.), was upset hearing the boos. He says that got him more pumped up for the game.

The Islanders won the game, 6-3.

I might not support the war - but booing is not cool.

Old 03-21-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:19 PM
It's not just Canadians. There were "peace" protests in Portland, OR yesterday, while I watched, protesters were waving a U.S. flag, then dragging it along the ground and while dragging it stepping on it. then when they were done waving it, laying it on the ground next to them. It just shows the ignorance and disrespect of many.

That along with the fact of two police officers assaulted, over 100 arrests, and trash and trash cans strewn through the streets and thrown at police.

Old 03-21-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 10:19 AM
True...its not just Canadians...the entire world is booing us it seems
Old 03-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
True...its not just Canadians...the entire world is booing us it seems
Almost by definition, people who support the status quo (which in this case is war) don't protest. So it looks like the anti-war protesters vastly outnumber the war supporters, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

FWIW, the latest polls in the UK show that a majority of the British population supports the war.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:06 PM   #5
On Thin Ice

This is true Speedracer, I think people have calculated the actual number of individuals who actually oppose this war.. and it comes out to be about .006 percent of the world population.

Take from that what you will,

Beefeater
Old 03-22-2003, 03:15 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I would like to see those stats Beefeater.

Anyway, I find this thread's title very misleading. I find it interesting that people are saying Canadians are ignorant, because they are being just as ignorant by tarring all of us with the same brush. This happened at a hockey game, where some of the crowd of 20,000 bood the anthem -- which they should not have done. But please don't assume all Canadians would have done the same thing. Most Canadians love America. We just disagree with how the Bush administration has handled this conflict. According to a very recent poll, 75% of Canadians didn't want this war without UN support. Those are pretty telling results, and it turns out that many of the nations who are supporting, it's more so the governments, and not the people. I just saw a news story on CBC Newsworld (which is like night and day compared to the propaganda of CNN), in which the so called "Coalition of the Willing" was critically examined (I'd like to see CNN do the same thing). It turns out almost all of the countries are small, impoverished nations, highly dependent on US aid. Many didn't even want to be named, but pretty much gave into pressure. Other nations are offering nothing but moral support, but are still included in this coalition, leading some to state this is the "Coalition of the Coerced" rather than the willing. Dont' kid yourselves: world opinion on this matter is not as in favour as many have been spoon fed to believe.

Canada would have fully backed this effort if there had been UN security council approval, which we've been saying all along. And that's completely fair. It's not our war. It's America's. I don't know why that's such a difficult concept to grasp. Yes, we, like the rest of the world, will be greatly affected by this war, but it wasn't our choice. But you know what? We will still be there to clean up damage, to aid in humanitarian ways, and even re-construct Iraq. Canada is not as disrespectful as some would like to believe.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:55 AM   #7
Kid A

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
I just saw a news story on CBC Newsworld (which is like night and day compared to the propaganda of CNN), in which the so called "Coalition of the Willing" was critically examined (I'd like to see CNN do the same thing). It turns out almost all of the countries are small, impoverished nations, highly dependent on US aid. Many didn't even want to be named, but pretty much gave into pressure. Other nations are offering nothing but moral support, but are still included in this coalition, leading some to state this is the "Coalition of the Coerced" rather than the willing. Dont' kid yourselves: world opinion on this matter is not as in favour as many have been spoon fed to believe.

nations included in the coalition:

United Kingdom
Australia
Spain
Japan
South Korea
Philippines
Portugal
Italy
Netherlands
Denmark
Iceland
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Bulgaria
Romania
Hungary
Poland
Turkey
Kuwait
Uzbekistan
Latvia
Lithuania
Georgia
Costa Rica

---------
blah blah blah, god you sound so righteous, the funny thing is you truly believe that your media has no agenda and is unbiased in its coverage of world events
Old 03-22-2003, 04:01 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:19 AM
I have something to clear up. Wasn't the coalition of the willing borne out of the gulf war? And so, a lot of theses same nations that you listed may not in fact support this second gulf war?

foray
Old 03-22-2003, 04:07 AM   #9
Kid A

no, the UN supported the first gulf war. this is an updated list.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:07 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

WATCH MORE TV

and remember...

BE-LIE-VE

I never thought of you as someone who would resort to personal insults, Wanderer.

And BTW - did I ever say our media has no agenda? Please, you of all people should know how much I don't like people putting words in my mouth. I simply said it's like night and day compared to your media. That's a fact. I get both US and Canadian media, so I have the privilege of being able to compare. I don't think any news media is completely unbiased, but as far as mainstream media goes, the CBC is generally regarded as one of the best in the world. That's not my opinion. That's general consensus.

Oh and Wanderer, I was simply defending some of the blatantly off base remarks about Canadians in this thread. I'm sure you would have done the same if you were in my position?
Old 03-22-2003, 04:23 AM   #11
Kid A

um, Michael, you're being a little hyper-sensitive about this, there really was no "blatantly off base remarks about Canadians" in this thread, a simple account from the news about fans in Montreal booing the US National Anthem, then some comments about people in Oregon (USA) dragging a US flag around and some speculation about how many people support the war, etc

you assert that you *know* world opinion and make comments about how people are being "spoon fed" information in the US; then you talk about how Canada will of course be involved in "humanitarian ways" and all the efforts to clean up of the "damage" caused by the United States

I can't really find any other words to describe that, it reflects a great deal of righteousness in the statements made by the author of the comments
Old 03-22-2003, 06:16 AM   #12
Refugee

It must be said, that in Britain at least, the 'support' for war is not for the war itself, its for the soldiers that are being sent. Those who were against the war in the first place are now supporting it merely because they have to - it is no longer wise nor patriotic to NOT support the troops that are being sent to Iraq. Though they find the war itself repugnant, they find themselves supporting the victory of the troops.

That is the 'majority' of anti-war opinionists, I still find the war and the troops' presence repugnant.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 03-22-2003, 09:04 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I think this is kind of like the debate in another thread about what does support mean. THere are many governements that support us while their citizens apparently do not. Italy comes to mind here.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:05 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:19 PM
much like the olympics CBC is far better than others... i have not watched CBS but people say they are also good. i must say i occassionally get bored with CBC and i look for action on CNN

this is hardly worth mentioning, but at last nites sens-thrashers game sportsnet.ca is reporting about 20 people booing the start of the canadian anthem. the crowd collectively cheered afterward however--link
Old 03-22-2003, 09:13 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

We are in trying times. I kind of expect this to go on. Good grief, look at us and French Fries.