disrespectful Canadians..... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #46
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:10 AM
I 'm a Canadien that is currently living in the US. I support the war 100%. I personaly could give fuck what Canadiens are saying or doing about the war. 70% of the people that are non-supporter are 100% ignorant to what it is all about. The thing that pisses me off is that bull-shit goverment with that fucker as primeminister. And the thing is it's not the Canadiens falt they are ignorant to the war. All their info comes from the french and thier own government. Sorry but I hate the Canadien government as you can see. My parents still live there and I see the bull-shit they go through. Yes, Bush isn't my favorite in the world either but I do trust the people around him and it is the perople around him that do the leading not Bush. We have dealt with Saddam's 12 years of breaking every rule of the Post-Golf War Treaty he sighned. As far as I'm concerned we should have went in earlier. 911 just lit a fired under America's ass to do something. When you listen to former citizen's of Iraq that live here now and lived under Saddam's rigime for years. When they are suppoting Bush and our government 100% you have to, have to think about that. This didn't happen over night. Of course Saddam has boilogical weapons. He had 2 tons worth of anthrax after the gulf war. What, do you think all of a sudden he doesn't now. I hate war just as much as the next person but come on.

Old 03-22-2003, 07:00 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Wow, that was amusing. I guess that makes me ignorant to what it's all about then.

This is a very complicated issue, and many on both sides of the fence have tried to reduce it to to something very simple to further their cause. I, for one, wish the US had somehow gone in with UN support, but now that the war has started, it is rather pointless to dwell on how we got here. Like many, I hope the fight is over with quickly, that Saddam and his regime are disposed of, and that as few (civilians and soldiers) die as possible. I can see the needs of the US; I can understand why they felt they had to invade. The impact of 911 can only be fully understood by someone who lives in America. Yet, I can also see the other side of the coin, too. Not living in America gives one a detatchment that may be necessary in order to objectify the situation to its fullest degree. We don't know what the consequences are going to be, and we don't know if it will stir up more terrorism in the long run than it will prevent.

Old 03-22-2003, 07:09 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by gherman
I personaly could give fuck what Canadiens are saying or doing about the war. 70% of the people that are non-supporter are 100% ignorant to what it is all about.

Yes, 20 million of us are ignorant fools.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:10 PM   #49
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
not to justify it...just...umm....lets say...hockey fans don't represent the whole population.
Hey. Some of my best friends...go to hockey games with me.

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #50
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:10 AM
And let's keep the generalizations and personal attacks to a minimum. Just as a reminder: Canada is our most important neighbor to the north (George W. Bush).

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:25 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
And let's keep the generalizations and personal attacks to a minimum. Just as a reminder: Canada is our most important neighbor to the north (George W. Bush).

haha, that's right Pax. That was a funny comment. Did you see that on Rick Mercer Talking To Americans?
Old 03-22-2003, 07:29 PM   #52
Acrobat

I suppose the same respect is being afforded to America as America has been giving to France.

America is excellent at flapping its big greedy mouth, but cannot accept criticism
Old 03-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #53
Kid A

Local Time: 03:10 AM
it's like we are at a hockey game right now!
Old 03-22-2003, 08:01 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ahhhh yes it's the U.S. who's greedy spending 1 trillion dollars on taking out a dangerous regime, while France sits back and tries to make every roadblock to keep Saddam in power so they can continue to cash in on food for oil programs and the oil contracts they have signed with Iraq.

and now france is saying they won't even help to rebuild in Iraq. So France "cares" so much about Iraq and it's citizens that they 1. Won't help liberate them from a tyranical regime and 2. Won't help build up their cities once they are freed from that regime.

That Chirac is a real stand up guy.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:17 PM   #55
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Nice womanfish!

And Micheal, did you ever live in the US?

I didn't think so. I've lived in both countries and if I were chosen to fight in both countries, I would gladly die for the U.S.A.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:04 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Nice womanfish!

And Micheal, did you ever live in the US?

I didn't think so. I've lived in both countries and if I were chosen to fight in both countries, I would gladly die for the U.S.A.
I'm still trying to get my head around your question, and why it should have any barring on whether I support this war effort or not, but I'll answer it. No, I've never lived in the US. Most of the world hasn't. So what's your point? So, even though you've lived in both countries, you would die for the USA and not for Canada. Is that supposed to make me change my mind or something? I find your post very perplexing and, to be honest, a bit odd. I'm happy for you. You are very patriotic. But I don't understand what that has to do with my opinion.

Getting back to the discussion...

I don't see why one should resort to finding faults in other nations in order boost the cause of another. Just because France may have their agendas doesn't negate the fact that America may have agendas, as well. Why must we resort to slamming others in order to make our case? I don't mind those facts being discussed, but it's a bit of a weak argument for war. A better argument for war, in my opinion, would be the direct approach -- be it WOMD or a regime change, or what have you.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:34 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well Michael when there are hundreds of thousands of people in the streets saying that the U.S. is greedy and then they applaud France for sticking to their "convictions" and say how the countries that aren't for the use of force are peace-loving countries with no agenda of their own. I say their agenda is one of greed and furthermore their greed blind them to the fact of the atrocities put on the Iraqi people, and the danger of Saddam to others outside Iraq.

You say that I am "finding faults" in other nations in order to boost what the U.S., UK, Spain, ect.... are doing. I find it ironic that people who are against the use of force find faults in what the U.S. and others are doing and what you think the coalition countries faults are in order to boost the inaction of countries like France and Canada.

It's just presenting facts - not putting anyone down. if presenting facts about a country is seen as putting them down then maybe that should raise questions of that nations true reasons for their stance on this issue.

and Yes i would much rather just stick to the facts, and to me the facts point to the use of force - if for nothing else then to stop the death of 5,000 Iraqi's a week under Saddam's regime (does that not bother you?) - but I was just responding to the comment that "America flaps it's greedy mouth and can't take criticism." right now that is about all America is taking, and they keep on with their cause because Saddam does need to be removed.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:07 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Womanfish, that's a good point. I suppose people on both sides of the argument look for faults to boost their cause. I didn't mean to say we shouldn't be trying to dig up the facts. On the contrary, I think we should dig as much facts up as possible. I just disagree that they should be the true reasons behind the arguments on both sides. They tend to be secondary reasons that are used to argue counter arguments. As for Canada, we sent troops to Afghanistan quite recently, which is helping the US out by allowing them to concentrate on the Iraq iniative. Our military is a fraction of yours, and we really can't foot much of the bills anyway. As mentioned, Cretien had said from the beginning that he would only back a war effort in Iraq if it was UN sanctioned. I don't see a problem with that, as that was Canada's prerogative.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:14 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I agree with your take on Canada. If you aren't part of the Security Council, then really I would think that it is reasonable to wait for an agreed UN resolution passed by the council. Right now I think only Spain and Australia are the two countries that are supplying troops who aren't part of the security council. Maybe Bulgaria, but not sure.

Anyway, I think it is cool that we have a larger bit of help with Afghanastan.

And my take on it is that regime change is the key in Iraq. WMD's have been the focus, but the only reason that the WMD's are an issue is because Saddam is a ruthless dictator that has used them. I say get rid of Saddam and then the UN can hopefully drop sanctions resulting in the easing of the horrible death toll that continues to mount because of Saddam.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:21 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:10 AM
Quote:
I've lived in both countries and if I were chosen to fight in both countries, I would gladly die for the U.S.A.
This is the spirit I like. Your country needs you.

I see new material for the black steel machine.

Go fight, gherman! Your mother will be happy you gladly die for the U.S.A.

Regards from the oval office