disrespectful Canadians..... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2003, 01:49 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 08:59 PM
I am, like Micheal, offended by the title of this thread. It is misleading. When at a sporting event and especially at a hockey game in Canada emotions run high. Were the few that were booing booing the NYI or America. You must relize also that when it is quite and there is no cheering going on and even a few hundred people start to boo it does seem very loud.

Also i;d like to comment on the poll of 71% of people supporting Jean. I would be suspect of those numbers. In my opinion if Jean would have supported the US quitely numbers would also be high. Living in Alberta there is a totally different feeling here then it seems there is in the rest of the country. Our priemer has sent a letter to the US ambassador saying he has the support of the Alberta gov't. I am also on that wave length. I support this war, I support the USA and i get pissed off when people are lumped together.

Old 03-22-2003, 01:55 PM   #32
Refugee

And about the media difference in Canada and the US. I totally agree with Micheal. CBC is a great org. they give info when it is real and not speculative instead of Cnn where its like primetime TV. I know you probably arent a big supporter of CNN, Wanderer, but CBC is a great news org. It's to bad you dont get it, i think you would quickly relize the differences in the media, and that goes for British media as well. The BBC is much like the CBC.

Old 03-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Yes, Bonoman, I read that Alberta was much different than the rest of the country in terms of individuals supporting the war. The support is much higher there. I think that's always been the case, though, with anything US related. Alberta is much more right wing than anywhere else in Canada, and they are also our oil province. Therefore, it would make sense.

So, how about those Oilers? I hope they don't play the Canucks, as I want both teams to go far. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #34
Kid A

Local Time: 10:59 PM
here is an extremely critical editorial piece from the New York Times directed at Colin Powell, entitled, "Why Powell Should Go"

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/22/opinion/22KELL.html

here is one of today's headlines from the same paper on American opinion polls of the war, tell me what it's slanting towards the US in this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/22/in...al/22POLL.html

here's one called "Civilian Toll: A Moral and Legal Bog"

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/22/arts/22CIV.html

Washington Post article about veterans oposing the war

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Mar21.html

here is one doubting the validity of Hussein's ability to use chemical weapons if he even has them...

"Chemicals Use Considered Less Likely: Experts Say Iraq Does Not Have Means to Deliver Them Against Invaders"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Mar19.html
Old 03-22-2003, 02:05 PM   #35
Kid A

haha ok, I must be mentally unstable or something!

the news is out there, what people want to read and hear and take out of it is a different story

I'm just not very receptive to this idea that the US media has brain-washed millions with mis-information
Old 03-22-2003, 02:05 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, but my point was not to do with people who are willing to find out information for themselves, such as in print media. It's more to do with the mass media of CNN, and how easy it is to buy into everything it espouses. It's what pretty much everyone watches, even in Canada, to get the fast action. Unfortunately, like fast food, there's not much there to digest, and if there is, some of it can cause indigestion.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:05 PM   #37
Refugee

So this proves what. We are only saying that on a whole Media (as in TELEVISON) is a little slanted and you might see the differences if you seen some foriegn coverage, and i'm not saying you havent but its only that simple. Would you like me to go get article upon articles of different stories? We could do this all day.

Micheal, ya oil is a main part of alot of peoples life in Alberta and we do worry about what happens. Alot of business done here is with Americans so will Klien giving his support he saves his ass at the same time.

And those oilers, hopefully play your Canuks because frankly i dont think we can beat any of the others top teams.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:06 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
It's what pretty much everyone watches, even in Canada, to get the fast action. Unfortunately, like fast food, there's not much there to digest, and if there is, some of it can cause indigestion.
Comedy
Old 03-22-2003, 02:10 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
And those oilers, hopefully play your Canuks because frankly i dont think we can beat any of the others top teams.
Comedy
Old 03-22-2003, 02:13 PM   #40
Kid A

yes, all media information is slanted, US media is slanted towards US perspective and interests, dont make the mistake of thinking this is unique characteristic of US media alone

the only reason I posted the article URLs was to show you that the same information is being presented here that is presentd there

I can't make people read the newspaper and watch different networks to get a broader view, but millions watch 60 Minutes every week and their in-depth reports are often very probing and critical of US activities, maybe they dont show that in Canada, dont assume that because they show CNN in Canada that this is all Americans are watching, CNN's ratings are not even that good anymore...
Old 03-22-2003, 02:23 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Actually, Bonoman:

I wouldn't underestimate your Oilers. I think they'd give Dallas a good run for their money. They always play well against Dallas, and even beat them last time they met. If I were an Oiler fan, I wouldn't want to be playing the Canucks, as they've had much more success with other teams. Their season series with the Canucks has been a decided loss. What is it again? I think the Canucks have won all but one game, which was a tie. I believe it's 4-0-1 or something for the Canucks?

Wanderer:

Yes, we do get 60 minutes. I realize there are other networks. I just wonder sometimes how many pay much attention to those criticisims. Also, yes, I do realize that every country has their own slant to the media, some more than others. It just so happens that right now, America is at war, so therefore that media coverage will be even more biased as a result. It's a natural condition of conflict. I have heard reports that many journalists are being screened and told what to report and what they can not report in the US. That's why I prefer to get my news elsewhere, that's all. The more objective, the better.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:25 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Alright, I really have to start my philosophy paper before I really screw myself this semester. Talk later boys...
Old 03-22-2003, 02:34 PM   #43
Kid A

i dont know if that's true or not about screening new reporters. what i hear is that reporters in iraq and kuwait are restricted from commenting about certain things they see and hear that could be sensitive to military intelligence and strategy

but I see no evidence of politicians and new services holding back on criticism of the administration activities, there was a correspondent yesterday talking about how missiles had hit civilian houses around military buildings that had been targeted, so I havent seen evidence of any gag orders
Old 03-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Update:
The president of the Montreal Canadiens apologizerd for the select few fans. Then, a bunch of dumb butt Americans booed the Canadian National Anthem, I think in Nashville, where the Senators then wholloped the team 6-1.

Dumb people should have their tickets revoked.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:50 PM   #45
Kid A

yep, dickweeds in both Atlanta and Montreal now!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0322/1527854.html

from espn.com news services:

Atlanta dickweeds join Montreal numbnuts in protest...

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Saturday that fans booed during the Canadian national anthem before the Thrashers' game against the Senators in Atlanta.

It might have been a response to events from Thursday night, when Montreal fans booed during the U.S. national anthem before a Canadiens' game against the New York Islanders.

Canadiens president Pierre Boivin issued an apology Friday. The Thrashers did the same that night.

"The entire Thrashers' organization regrets the actions of a small number of fans that behaved disrespectfully during the Canadian anthem tonight prior to the Thrashers' game against the Ottawa Senators," the statement read as printed in the newspaper.

"The Thrashers' organization firmly believes this type of behavior has no place in professional sports. We hope that this was an isolated incident and apologize to anyone who was offended, including the Canadian-born members of both teams."