Disney says 'no' to Moore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I saw Kerry's daughter...and she is not French....or is she....hehe....Hard to tell with her Father's positions.....and Boy did she put on a show....made me blush.

I tried to ignore this thread. Being a fan of Moore's even if he can be and onoxious a**hole.

But I must say I am freakin sick of this French bashing. It's extremely childish IMO. My best friend and I don't agree on everything especially politics but I don't bash her all over town for having different opinions.

The effect of painting an entire nation with the brush of their leaders is exactly what allowed the prison abusing - all terrorists and sand n****rs. It is also how Osama paints Americans.

Get over it please.

I agree w/ the point you're making Scarletwine.. I think one could also argue that *some* people here do the same thing (painting all Americans w/ the brush of Bush) That wasn't directed at you personally :), just a general observation. And of course two wrongs don't make a right..

Anyway, I just read this on IMDb

Director Michael Moore's controversial movie Fahrenheit 9/11 is leading the race to scoop the Cannes Film Festival's top prize, the Palme D'Or. Trade paper Screen International have hailed the film - which exposes links between the families of American President George W. Bush and Al Queda leader Osama Bin Laden and documents the US-led war on terrorism - as the number one contender for the prestigious award, based on the views of critics from around the world. Fahrenheit 9/11's chances of winning the Palme D'Or received a boast on Monday when a screening of the movie was given an unprecedented 15-minute standing ovation at the legendary festival. The film is expected to be released via a third party after Disney banned Miramax from distributing the movie.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I agree w/ the point you're making Scarletwine.. I think one could also argue that *some* people here do the same thing (painting all Americans w/ the brush of Bush) That wasn't directed at you personally :), just a general observation. And of course two wrongs don't make a right..

[/B]

No offense taken. I'd be painting myself with that same brush being American.

That said I do find in general IMO on this board other nationalities seem to be able to make that differentation easier than some US citizens here.

Also I think it will be hit.

I would appreciate statistics though that demonstrate, I and others have repeatedly made derrogatory comments on a regular basis.

I would wager that SOME in here post more ANTI-US stuff than others, yet somehow we manage to make intelligent arguments to refute said articles, without lecturing others on their posting habits.

Oh, and by the way...It was a joke, notice the HEHE. Thanks for the lecture.

[Q]Get over it please.[/Q]

Right back at you!:madspit:

Last edited:
edited to add:

And in the same maturity level

:madspit:

I could go back and add up the French bashing. Verte, I, Fizz, Angela, among others have spoken on it. In fact I think Verte started a thread about it. I personally feel Klaus, Anitram, Rono, ect are more than nice considering we started and unilateral unwarranted war.

But in real response. :hug:

I wasn't bringing anyone personally responsible just stating my opinion.

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between intelligent criticism of a country's foreign policy and dismissing a country as "chickenshit" or describing all its citizens as "cowards" and "appeasers."

Interesting, and I have used these words? If I am wrong I admit it. Please, show me where I have used those words.

This is starting to derail the thread....

It was a JOKE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side bar since we are talking about my alleged comments about France, I have pretty much always maintained that they were opposed to the war not on WMD since they, as part of the security council believed that there were WMD.

So why were they? My position has been they were making money off the Food for Oil program. That has been my intelligent contribution...all jokes aside.

Last edited:
Dread I doubt anyone is referring to you specifically, especially as you have been pretty respectful in many things in all your time here.

If I am missing something I apologize, however, after I put out a French joke, suddenly the comments are flying leading me to interpret it otherwise. Perhaps the vagueness of the comments and the specificness of the list of respectful posters, would leave me to believe otherwise.

Peace is is a DREAD issue. The French in me will back down and I will no longer fight the good fight.

From IMDb

Legendary French director Jean-Luc Godard became one of the few persons in attendance at the Cannes Film Festival who had negative things to say about Michael Moore's controversial Fahrenheit 9/11 film (although he admitted that he had not seen it). Godard, who described Moore as "halfway intelligent," told reporters that films like Fahrenheit "help Bush more than harm him ... in a very vicious way that [directors like Moore] are not conscious of." Bush, he said, "is less stupid than [Moore] thinks."

I'd be interested to hear his explanation re. how this film could help Bush

I believe it will help Bush because it will push more moderates to the right.

It is hard to say, when I have not seen the movie, however, when I say Mr. Moore's name in the teacher's room at school, "most" people recoil in horror. Just an observation.

The funny part is, I take Mr. Moore's side because of this.....

The Bush administration is doing quite well on its own in exposing itself to the world. It is unraveling just fine all by itself. I doubt Moore's movie will have much impact one way or the other.

Dreadsox said:
I believe it will help Bush because it will push more moderates to the right.

I'm not entirely convinced by this. While I agree that if people see the movie and hate it they might be pushed further to the right politically, I don't think that's necessarily going to help Bush. In my experience, Moore is considered to be fairly far to the left, certainly more so than the Democratic party and so people disliking this film certainly won't equate to them disliking the Democratic candidate and choosing to vote for Bush instead.

I'm quite sceptical about the extent to which a film can influence the outcome of a presidential election anyway.

MY point is elections are not won or lost by the left or the right of any party. The electuion is won by winning the center between the two parties.

I think Moore will help push the center towards Bush. Just an opinion.

I also agree that movies tend not to be that influential, however, this is about a topic that is so painful for many that I cannot see it having an impact one way or another.

I hardly think Moore is that influential to push voters.

By the same token you can argue that Bush himself is pushing all the ultra-left voters to Kerry simply because they figure that nothing and nobody could possibly be worse than the current president/administration.

anitram said:

By the same token you can argue that Bush himself is pushing all the ultra-left voters to Kerry simply because they figure that nothing and nobody could possibly be worse than the current president/administration.

This is going on in Birmingham. The die-hard Kucinich supporters here are going to vote for Kerry in November because they're so anti-Bush. They want him out big time and they are going to pull the classic "hold the nose and vote" act for this reason. It's almost scary to read some of these notes. They're not exactly crazy about Kerry, but Bush........they *hate* him with a passion.

Last edited:
anitram said:

The ultra left would never vote for Bush.

The battle is for the center vote. It is what was helping McCain when he was running.

Yes, but you are missing the point.

The ultra left would never vote for Kerry either. They would vote for Nader / independent. Kerry will get votes which he would not otherwise get here. I know many, many people who would not vote for him were his competition anyone other than Bush.

As for center voters - do you REALLY think that a Moore movie is more influential than Bush's pathetic record, the ultimate mess and chaos that is Iraq and the Middle East, the soaring gas prices, and the shit economy? Let's get real here. If you are a true centrist, who will vote based on what you think is most beneficial to yourself, I don't see how Bush is it at all.

Back
Top Bottom