Disney says 'no' to Moore - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2004, 06:22 PM   #46
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Something that I'd like to find out (but that would take quite a bit of research time...) is what else Disney--or a company that Disney owns--has released that could also be considered "harmful" to the administration in one way or another. There are a few monster conglomerates that own smaller (but still multi-million or billion) companies, that in turn own even smaller companies, and on down the line.

One company, such as Disney, might say "OH, no. That won't do" to one project, but another project might have already been released/published (don't forget book publishers!) that contains the same or similar information.

I suppose that books might be a mit more under the radar in that way than movies, but there is a possibility that a book or magazine or newspaper has published similar information or editorial or the like and it's gone by without anyone raising a fuss.

The real fear is that the higher-ups will get wind of this and really start to censor what goes on under their banner.

That's the problem with media ownership. Too many big cooks watching too many servers in too small of a kitchen.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:36 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by enggirl
Something that I'd like to find out (but that would take quite a bit of research time...) is what else Disney--or a company that Disney owns--has released that could also be considered "harmful" to the administration in one way or another.
off the top of my head-disney owns abc, which broadcasts nightline in which last week ted koppel read off the names of american casualties from the iraq war.

as i said, censorship is by no means total-i hesitate to even use that word because i feel it is a mischaracterization. there is no doubt that criticism takes place just as there is no doubt that the voices of some are severely muffled.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:52 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:49 AM
[Q]Moore admits Disney 'ban' was a stunt
By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles
07 May 2004

Less than 24 hours after accusing the Walt Disney Company of pulling the plug on his latest documentary in a blatant attempt at political censorship, the rabble-rousing film-maker Michael Moore has admitted he knew a year ago that Disney had no intention of distributing it.

The admission, during an interview with CNN, undermined Moore's claim that Disney was trying to sabotage the US release of Fahrenheit 911 just days before its world premiere at the Cannes film festival.

Instead, it lent credence to a growing suspicion that Moore was manufacturing a controversy to help publicise the film, a full-bore attack on the Bush administration and its handling of national security since the attacks of 11 September 2001[/Q]

Oh surprise surprise!!! Moore lied!!!!

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...p?story=518901
Old 05-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Admitting that one has lied is the only difference between Democrats and Republicans. Republicans just take a lie and do everything they can to force it to be true.

That aside, it does further ruin Moore's credibility. Maybe he should stop reenacting pages from Howard Dean's campaign diary.

Melon
Old 05-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Interesting generalization.....
Old 05-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

generalizations? here? in FYM? no way! i don't believe it.

mr. moore's an asshole... there's my generalizatoin
Old 05-06-2004, 07:52 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
generalizations? here? in FYM? no way! i don't believe it.
Haha...the GOP can sure dish it out, but they certainly can't take it!

Maybe I should be running for president. I have a more articulate spine than Kerry.

Melon
Old 05-06-2004, 08:05 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

wow. michael moore sure brings out the best in people.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Wow, I just read all of this dribble and am just amazed..........

Firstly, dreadsox, for someone who despises Moore so much, why do you spend so much time trying to find holes in everything he does, personally, I think your time would be better spent doing something positive, use the time to fricking volunteer somewhere or the like and again all of your articles that dispute Moore's claims, just remember that they too, maybe spreading lies or falseties...

it really does seem to me that in America, you guys place so much energy on issues that relate to your 'constitutional, first amendment rights" and as an outsider and someone who has vistied your country, these ideals just come across as a lot of waffle and pathetic crap- dont know why, but these things just ARE NOT issues in places like Australia. If this film gets released in Australia under the banner of Miramax/Disney, I can definately gurantee, that there WILL NOT, be a public outcry from conservative people wanting everyone to boycott Disney products or the like.............why do these things annoy your country sooooooooo much??, but in the majority of other countries these such issues are not even that, an issue

I do ask, why did Moore make this into a publicity stunt, but why was it an issue in the first place? Are all Americans that narrow minded that they WILL believe, that every movie, product etc etc that is produced in some way or another, under the banner of Disney, is an exact representation of the beliefs, ideologies and opinions of Disney and every single person, animal and stuffed caricature who works for the company????? I dont think so, wake up peoples, smell the flowers- GROW UP!!!!!

flame away, people, I dont really care, I am going to stop looking in here from now on, as a lot of the narrow minded Americanised political dribble that infilrates these threads, just makes me sad, annoyed and angry
Old 05-06-2004, 08:31 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Personally, Michael Moore isn't exactly my favorite American lefty. Who do I like? Al Franken, David Brock, my hometown's own Diane McWhorter, the good bloggers at UpperLeft and other fine activists too numerous to mention. I think they should put out this movie. But it seems to me that this whole thing could have been scripted, because he's known for over a year that this whole dispute was going to blow up.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:42 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:49 AM
Oz, I love your post.

Please know that many many many other Americans agree with you.

Then again, my officemate/boss is Australian and has spent the last 4 years ruining me already.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:12 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by OzAurora
personally, I think your time would be better spent doing something positive, use the time to fricking volunteer somewhere |
Wow...um.....Do you know me personally? You know how much time I spend doing volunteer things?

Unless you are the almighty and know my heart and mind check yourself before judging someone at such a level from a fricking internet board.

How this is not a personal fricking insult is beyond me.

Oh, and FYI, I will be at a soup kitchen this weekend after I finish collecting bottles and cans and readeaming them for money to buy glasses and hearing aids for the elderly, and scholarships for kids in my town not that it is any of your fricking business, but over the last three years i have collected $12,000 in redeamable cans on my frickin free time.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Oz, I love your post.

Please know that many many many other Americans agree with you.

Then again, my officemate/boss is Australian and has spent the last 4 years ruining me already.
Yep, it is always nice to see people applaud personal attacks...ior is it the rest of the post?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:18 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh, and before I get told I should PM him for his assumtions about my free time.....Oz does not accept PM's.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:23 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Haha...the GOP can sure dish it out, but they certainly can't take it!

Maybe I should be running for president. I have a more articulate spine than Kerry.

Melon
I'd bet you are a lot more many things than Kerry.