Disney says 'no' to Moore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good on you Dread for all of your volunteer work- that is very comendable. Now I should start by saying that I am a 'she' and not a 'he' and I am sorry if I upset you by 'personally attacking' you- didnt mean too. It just makes me wonder why you waste so much time finding so many holes in Moore's work and yes, it is a free country and YOU do, have every right to do so with your time as you please.. I know that there are hhhhhhhheeeeeeeaps of things that piss me off, but I dont spend my time continually dredging up dirt on the issue, so I guess it just amazes me that you do this and you are so passionate about it............now dont get me wrong, I am not a Moore lover, I actually believe that a fundamentalist (speaking metaphorically) is dangerous, regardless of their topic, but I do see that a lot of the issues that pertain to what Moore questions and the themes addressed in this thread, for some reason are endemic to America and I just scratch my head and go, why???

Your getting angry about what I said and completely missing the other 80% of my initial post, is exactly what I am talking about. Sorry, but if the tables were turned, I, just would not be sooooooooo upset- (maybe it is just the Australian 'larikin' humour in me) it wasnt intened as a personal attack, I am not that childish and trivial, it was merely a slight of hand comment, but then I keep on forgetting how paranoid and jumpy some people (no names mentioned!!!) are :huh:

Your profile did not specify gender. Sorry if I Offended.

If you frequent FYM, I also post on other topics. I read your whole post...And I stand by my reaction to the part directed at me. I have no reason to address the other part of your post it was well thought out and I agreed with parts of it.

As for people being jumpy maybe they would be less jumpy if you were not making ssumptions about their lives from a message baord.

Dreadsox said:

Yep, it is always nice to see people applaud personal attacks...ior is it the rest of the post?

sorry Dread, I hardly even noticed that part :reject: -- it was the general essence of the rest of the post I was applauding.

it's always guinness for you mr headache :wink:
on tap :drool:

i'm really not surprised mr moore knew of this earlier. his purpose and the facts he tries to present get so lost in his showmanship.

OzAurora said:
I am going to stop looking in here from now on, as a lot of the narrow minded Americanised political dribble that infilrates these threads, just makes me sad, annoyed and angry:|

Exactly. That's one of the two reasons I hardly bother looking at this forum anymore. :down: Besides, it seems like half the threads that are started here are intended solely to annoy particular people and the other half degenerate into that after a few posts. It just gets boring after a while.

Nice post. :up: :)

Angela Harlem said:
it's always guinness for you mr headache :wink:
on tap :drool:

i'm really not surprised mr moore knew of this earlier. his purpose and the facts he tries to present get so lost in his showmanship.

:applaud:

Angela Harlem said:
his purpose and the facts he tries to present get so lost in his showmanship.
if only he used this showmanship without having purpose and facts to present
he would be a brilliant politician

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Exactly. That's one of the two reasons I hardly bother looking at this forum anymore. :down: Besides, it seems like half the threads that are started here are intended solely to annoy particular people and the other half degenerate into that after a few posts. It just gets boring after a while.

If you don't like the direction in which you think FYM is going, leaving will not change that. I encourage everyone who has various beefs with FYM to advise the moderators and to STAY, and continue to post differing opinions and perspectives.

FYM mods have been criticized as being too American and being anti-American, as too conservative and too liberal, as too censorious and not censorious enough. So I'm not sure what to tell you except that of the six FYM mods (the four "super mods" plus two others who work FYM specially), only three are American (Bonochick, Sicy, and myself); the other three are Australian (Angela Harlem), Dutch (Salome), and British (Anthony). I don't think this internationalism happens in any other forum, as most of the mods are American, and I suspect Elvis assigned us to FYM on purpose to help maintain an international perspective.

We do the best we can, but running away to your respective corners and pouting won't change anything. That will just help FYM to become even more narrow and predictable than you claim it already is.

For the record, I wasn't making any judgement about the FYM mods. I think you all do a great job and I can think of literally no more than one or two occassions when I've actually disagreed with your decisions.

I'm not "running away to [my] corner and pouting." I'm simply making a decision that since I don't really enjoy this forum that much anymore, and since I seem to receive insulting emails from a particular FYMer every time I post here, I may as well stay away. I wouldn't even have said anything about that, but for the fact that I read OzAurora's post and thought she made some good points so I posted a quick message saying so.

:shrug: I don't know why I'm even bothering to type this really. I mean...it's an internet forum, how much does this really matter to anyone? :hmm: All I actually wanted to say was that my post was in no way intended as a criticism of any of the mods and I'm sorry it was interpreted that way. That's all. :)

Klaus said:
FizzingWhizzbees and OzAurora:

I can understand you but i'd really be happy if you would continue posting here, i enjoy your opinions.

Klaus

I agree with this too. If everyone on the other side of the aisle walked out, what would we have to talk about.

My question is, why did Moore make the movie with Disney to begin with? He knows their reputation. Why didn't he make the film independently? He could have EASILY raised enough dough from his wealthy liberal friends to shoot a doc! Bad move on his part.

I'm not going to "argue" for him (or with anyone here :) ), but I think, and maybe I'm wrong, that there were at least as many Americans there as French people. But then of course they're all the Hollywood liberal wackos ;)

Here's another snippet from an article..

Moore, using a mocking soundtrack to great effect, shows members of the bin Laden family being flown out of the U.S. after September 11. Up surges the song: "I gotta get out of this place."

In Washington, Moore is shown on a bizarre recruiting drive.

He stops Congressmen in the street and asks if they might consider sending their children as soldiers to Iraq. "What do you think of that idea?" he asks before getting the brush-off.

The film shows the raw emotion of Lila Lipscomb, doubled up with grief outside the White House as she contemplates the death of her soldier son in Iraq.

In one of the most moving scenes, she reads out the last letter received from him before his death.

Telling how she collapses on hearing the news over the phone, she said: "Your flesh just aches. You're not supposed to bury your own son."

My god, every friggin newspaper is running the cannes story along with the "fact" about disney not distributing the film because of political interests, THIS IS BS!

Angela Harlem said:

I'm interested in what you mean by this nbc.

i believe i'll tackle that one...

PARIS, France (CNN) -- Throughout the spring, and into this summer, a leading bestseller in France has not been some great work of French literature but a $17-dollar paperback called the "Horrifying Fraud."

The book casts doubt on the official version of the events of September 11, substituting an elaborate conspiracy concocted by America's military-industrial complex in order to increase U.S. military budgets.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/06/26/france.book/

Here's what Roger Ebert said about the film:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/eb-feature/cst-ftr-cannes18.html

But the film doesn't go for satirical humor the way Moore's "Roger & Me" and "Bowling for Columbine" did. Moore's narration is still often sarcastic, but frequently he lets his footage speak for itself.

And another review from Mary Corliss with "Time":

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,638819,00.html?cnn=yes

Moore is usually the front-and-center star of his own films. Here, his presence is mostly that of narrator and guiding force, though he does make a few piquant appearances. While chatting with Unger across the street from the Saudi embassy in Washington, he is approached and quizzed by Secret Service agents. Hearing from Rep. John Conyers that no member of Congress had read the complete Patriot Act before voting for it, he hires a Mister Softee truck and patrols downtown D.C. reading the act to members of Congress over a loudspeaker. Toward the end, he tries to get Congressmen to enlist their sons in the military. Surprise: no volunteers.

Melon

OK, that Mr Softee thing is pretty funny..so is the Wolfowitz bit

Not to make light of the subject matter, because obviously there's absolutely nothing funny about that

"a man quizzed by the FBI for casually mentioning at his health club that he thought Bush was an ?asshole? :eyebrow:

From the Hollywood Reporter

Where "Roger & Me" and "Bowling for Columbine" were personal quests for truth, looking at a subject from different angles and talking to people polls apart in their points of view, Moore stays "on message" here from first shot to last. There is no debate, no analysis of facts or search for historical context. Moore simply wants to blame one man and his family for the situation in Iraq the United States now finds itself in.

Back
Top Bottom