Disney says 'no' to Moore - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2004, 01:07 AM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:39 PM
I think the R rating will hurt distributiion because it does significantly drop the ammount of people who see it, on the flipside it makes the movie even more controversial so it could compensate for the lost parts, the goal is to get people talking and I think it will do this.

I don't trust World Net Daily in regards to that news bit but it was widely reported last week that Hezbola volunteered to help distribution all over the ME.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:09 AM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:39 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/24/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Old 06-24-2004, 11:14 AM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
17 year olds should not be aloud to see it.
they're one year away from being ellgible to vote!
from www.michaelmoore.com

On top of all this, the MPAA gave the film an "R" rating. I want all teenagers to see this film. There is nothing in the film in terms of violence that we didn't see on TV every night at the dinner hour during the Vietnam War. Of course, that's the point, isn't it? The media have given the real footage from Iraq a "cleansing" -- made it look nice, easy to digest. Mario Cuomo has offered to be our lawyer in appealing this ruling by the MPAA. Frankly, I would like to think the MPAA is saying that the actions by the Bush administration are so abhorrent and revolting, we need to protect our children from seeing what they have done. In that case, the film should be rated NC-17!

However it turns out, I trust all of you teenagers out there will find your way into a theater to see this movie. If the government believes it is OK to send slightly older teenagers to their deaths in Iraq, I think at the very least you should be allowed to see what they are going to draft you for in a couple of years.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:06 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
The master of hyperbole has spoken....
Old 06-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #155
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Well Mr. Moore is an exelent PR man
Old 06-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

I managed to see it this afternoon. Right now my mind is buzzing w/ so many thoughts, it's so difficult to put into words. One thing I was happy about was the number of senior citizens at the showing I went to. Unfortunately even though teens can get in w/ an adult, there were hardly any there

I know Michael Moore is so skilled at what he does-putting together a film which is perfectly tailored to his viewpoint. But I was blown away by it-there is information in there (things that are documented that he can't be making up) that I don't think too many people know, or maybe (probably) I'm just far too ignorant.

The part that got to me the most was the woman from Flint, MI whose son died in Iraq. When you see the movie, you'll understand. I just couldn't hold back and cried like a baby..I think it was also just the culmination of the previous content of the movie as well. The war footage/footage from Walter Reed hospital is shocking and so powerful as well.

I can think for myself and know what Mr Moore is up to, but there's no denying imho the basic truths that are in this movie. Eye opening and quite moving -people clapped at the end, and so did I, while I was still wiping away tears.

It was a powerful 2 hrs that I won't soon forget. I think you have to see it twice to recall important information and details.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723/
Old 06-25-2004, 08:41 PM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
That's the funny thing about conservatives; they put standards on liberals that they themselves don't live up to.

Here's a review from a more reputable critic (I haven't heard of half of these conservative whiners that pass for "critics"):

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...-moore24f.html

Apologies if this has been duplicated.

Melon
Old 06-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:39 PM
I won't have a chance to judge this film. They're not showing it anywhere in Alabama. This really pisses me off. I should at least get to see the thing.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:03 PM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I agree with Mrs. Springsteen's assessment of "Fahrenheit 9/11." I just got back from a 6:30 pm showing that was well over 3/4 full.
This movie is a must-see. I want to see it again.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:34 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Brilliant movie, absolutely.

In Toronto, West end suburbia, they had to open a second simultaneous screen at the same time to accomodate ticket demand. Completely full to the last seat, and I can only imagine what it is like downtown in the "leftist" areas. And this was a huge cineplex. The movie is solid gold, in terms of earning potential, IMO.

My thoughts go out to the Lipscomb family - so utterly devastating and tragic that there won't be a dry eye in the audience. "I just want him alive again." And reading the son's letter from Iraq, it was heartwrenching.

Also, the elderly Iraqi woman who kept sobbing about her home destroyed and 5 members of her family killed is a must-see scene, particularly for people who still fail to see why terrorism happens. Look at this small little woman screaming "Allah, you are the only one I can lean on, Allah, avenge my family, Allah destroy their homes too..." and you will see how terrorism is bred and maybe start to understand why some kid in that family will grow up with hatred in his heart.

Very difficult movie to see. I think it has real potential to stir people's hearts and it is not you average Michael Moore film. You hardly see him at all, and when you do, he is not up to his usual outrageous antics.

What was really amazing is that exiting the theatre, everyone was like "we are voting Liberal on Monday". In Canada, the Liberals and Conservatives are neck and neck, but this movie is such a vote swinger. I sincerely hope the trend is the same in the US.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:03 AM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Anitram, your post was excellent! You mentioned what I thought were the two most powerful scenes of the movie: Lila Lipscomb talking about her son and saying she wants him alive, and the elderly, grieving Iraqi woman. Those moments had me in tears.
I have been all over the Internet since I came home, looking for other reactions to this movie. I keep reading that the theatres are near or at full capacity, and the audiences are very responsive. Of course, the question is whether Moore is preaching to the already converted, which very well could be the case.
An interesting point about the showing I saw was when people were leaving the theatre, a man was handing out voter registration forms--and many people were taking them. I thanked him and told him I loved what he was doing.
Great, great movie!!!
Old 06-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
Hitchens lost all credibility for me when I saw him fall down drunk on stage a few years ago.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:27 AM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

In my town of 75,000 people, the movie sold out every showing for the whole weekend in advanced sales on Tuesday.

It is a brilliant film, a serious and deeply moving film. See it.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #165
New Yorker

It is very powerful and well worth your time. I was also moved to tears by Lila and other parts made me laugh out loud.
The entire sold out audience clapped at the end here in conservative rural Ohio.