Disney now gives us a black princess - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2007, 03:04 AM   #136
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:13 PM
I think that's enough on the African poetry tangent.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:13 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- Walt Disney Co.'s 1946 film "Song of the South" was historic. It was Disney's first big live-action picture and produced one of the company's most famous songs -- the Oscar-winning "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah." It also provided the inspiration for the Splash Mountain rides at Disney's theme parks.

But the movie remains hidden in the Disney archives -- never released on video in the United States and criticized as racist for its depiction of Southern plantation blacks. The film's 60th anniversary passed last year without a whisper of official rerelease, which is unusual for Disney, but President and CEO Bob Iger recently said the company was reconsidering.

The film's reissue would surely spark debate, but it could also sell big. Nearly 115,000 people have signed an online petition urging Disney to make the movie available, and out-of-print international copies routinely sell online for $50 to $90, some even more than $100.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #138
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I think that's enough on the African poetry tangent.
But shouldn't we be able to question someone when they yell conspiracy? or agenda?

I agree it may have been dragged out, but that's only because he was unwilling to defend his stance.

There's been a trend recently of coming in a thread dropping some ridiculous conspiracy theory and then never even attempting to defend it. Isn't that pretty much the definition of trolling? Or at least borders on trolling?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #139
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:13 PM
Uh, how am I stopping anyone from questioning anything? More than half the thread has been on this colonialism-good-or-bad/is-African-poetry-OK-in-Homer-class spiel, I've made several posts on those topics myself as have you. It was worth questioning to the extent that most posters didn't see the connections AEON was making between those things and African-Americans in a Disney movie, but I think that vein has pretty much been bled dry at this point. I don't really see the connections either but it's pretty clear AEON does and that's just the way it is, which no is not the same thing as trolling.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #140
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Uh, how am I stopping anyone from questioning anything? More than half the thread has been on this colonialism-good-or-bad/is-African-poetry-OK-in-Homer-class spiel, I've made several posts on those topics myself as have you. It was worth questioning to the extent that most posters didn't see the connections AEON was making between those things and African-Americans in a Disney movie, but I think that vein has pretty much been bled dry at this point. I don't really see the connections either but it's pretty clear AEON does and that's just the way it is, which no is not the same thing as trolling.
Oh, I know you aren't stopping anyone, I should have worded that better.

I just find dropping in conspiracies and never bothering to back them up or defend them frustrating. Especially knowing it's not a well supported or accepted train of thought.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #141
The Fly

As I read this thread:
Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos"
I thought about THIS one.
These young women were once young girls. They envisioned themselves as students, and as athletes. And as achievers. Now they have to deal with the nasty public rantings of someone who envisions them as "hos". The positive image of a Disney Black Princess is one small counterbalance to the on-going reality of racial predudice.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Very good point
Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

For a typically funny take on this whole thing, check out this Daily Show's clip: http://www.comedycentral.com/motherl...ml_video=84572