Dirty Little Secret About Parents - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2003, 01:25 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:09 PM
I KNEW it was my fault!!

Actually, I believe it. My parents prefer my brother to me.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:28 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:09 PM
If Im ever gonna grow up enough to be the best father in the world, I do want a daughter. I will forbid her to go out with guys like me.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:44 PM   #18
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:09 PM

My dad said that he was happy both of his kids were girls cuz he remembers what a sassy boy he was.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:09 AM
there aren't any boys in my immediate family. I think it can be good for girls to grow up in that kind of environment, because often their fathers will teach them things that they might not have if there was a boy to teach it to instead (ex sports, fishing, etc).
Old 10-15-2003, 07:11 PM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:09 PM
I dunno. I'm a daddy's girl and while he would complain at times that he would be outnumbered, I went to a car race with him again this year -- like we do every year -- and had a great time. I guess it also depends on what the daughter does. If she is a bit more tomboy or daddy's girl she may not feel the need to be so stereotypically moody.

and I agree with Bitch.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:16 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
The answer is probably somewhere else. It is too simplistic to point at "sexism" as the reason for the divorce rates as suggested by "Bitch Magazine".
Old 10-15-2003, 07:45 PM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Actualy the sexism response is a pretty goo one. It's a generalization but it works pretty well. Lets keep in mind that right now in China there is going to be ahuge crissi very soon as the sex ratio of kids born since the single child policy was enacted is ridiculously weighted towards males. Many societies over the course of history have killed girl children (even fairly "civilized" ones like the Romans). Up until fairly recently in much of the West girls were viewed as a burden to a family. They required a dowry, they couldn't inherit, they couldn't (in the minds of the people of the time) to "real" work. You needed a biy to pass onteh property, to work the fields to provide for parents in old age. Girls were needed, but secondary. Often not having sons was seen a sign of impotence or infertility. You don't get rid of this mentality (which persisted in milder but very pervasive form into the 1950's and early 60's) in a few decades. Most of our parents (and as one of the younger members of the board this says something, though my parents are admittedly older than most parents of people my age - 21) lived in this environment. My Mum was looked down on as a working professional. The old attiutudes still have quite a hold on us. It's going to take a long time to get rid of them.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:52 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
I dunno. I'm a daddy's girl and while he would complain at times that he would be outnumbered, I went to a car race with him again this year -- like we do every year -- and had a great time. I guess it also depends on what the daughter does. If she is a bit more tomboy or daddy's girl she may not feel the need to be so stereotypically moody.
Good point.

I'm not a tomboy in the sense that I do a lot of "guy" activities with my dad, but I tend to share his line of thinking on certain things...I don't follow some of the stereotypes of what girls are like.

And my sister and I tease our dad all the time about being outnumbered-he jokes about it, too. .

Even some of our pets were girls. And then of course there's all the times we'd bring girl friends over...poor guy. .

Angela
Old 10-16-2003, 09:02 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 06:09 PM
I think that's a flawed argument.

Having done some teaching I say that girls are easier to teach than boys. But I'm not a parent, so I couldn't really say what it's like to raise them.

I'm the oldest of 3 girls and my parents are still married. I think they would've liked a 4th a child - a boy - but it didn't happen. I think I would've liked a little brother myself, because my two younger sisters were always picking on me.

My mum, after visiting relatives who have sons, always says how lucky she is to have daughters who have bright colours in their rooms and don't wear the same clothes for days at a time. I would like to have 1 or 2 kids - 1 if I have a boy first, I'd stop there. 2 if I have a girl first, because I wouldn't mind 2 girls or a boy and a girl. But 2 boys, well I'd rather avoid that.

I do think definitely it depends on the temperament of the kid, rather than whether they're a boy or girl, whether they cause problems for their parents. And I don't agree that parents would divorce BECAUSE of their kids - there's always a lot of other factors involved.