Did you know that....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
phoenix, arizona is the 2nd largest mormon populated area (not that i'm mormon but i didn't know this)

and...

Did you know that mormons won't wear or go near any store, place representing my university's (Arizona State University) logo because it speaks of the devil in it and our mascot is a devil, basicly. i think this is ridiculous. We're not going to hell because of our mascot/logo.

sparky.gif

oh an we're called the Sun Devils. :D

hahaha where did you find that out?

Do you guys have the Bretheren religion there? I've heard from one I used to know (but he could have been yanking my chain) that they wont drive any car that is red as it attracts the devil or something. They also dont allow the women to cut their hair. They have to singe the ends. The women aren't allowed to work and they have to make all their own clothes.
Oh and they cant watch tv, listen to the radio, or use any type of entertainment media.
They go to church 7 days a week and twice on Wednesdays.

Like I said, he could have been yanking...interesting though...

Angela Harlem said:

Do you guys have the Bretheren religion there? I've heard from one I used to know (but he could have been yanking my chain) that they wont drive any car that is red as it attracts the devil or something. They also dont allow the women to cut their hair. They have to singe the ends. The women aren't allowed to work and they have to make all their own clothes.
Oh and they cant watch tv, listen to the radio, or use any type of entertainment media.

Either there's some chain yanking going on here, or different Bretheren churches are very different. My wife has a childhood friend whose family goes to a bretheren church. I don't really know them well, only met them a couple of times, but I'm quite sure that they have nothing against red cars or cutting hair, I know for a fact that they watch tv, listen to the radio, and watch movies. They do not go to church 7 days a week. They seem to have pretty normal, though very morally conservative, beliefs. Again, there could be different sects within the bretheren movement.

jesseu2 said:
phoenix, arizona is the 2nd largest mormon populated area (not that i'm mormon but i didn't know this)

and...

Did you know that mormons won't wear or go near any store, place representing my university's (Arizona State University) logo because it speaks of the devil in it and our mascot is a devil, basicly. i think this is ridiculous. We're not going to hell because of our mascot/logo.

sparky.gif

oh an we're called the Sun Devils. :D

Jesse, you dingdong.
You are sadly mistaken.
There are Mormon clubs on your campus.
There are Mormon atheletes all over your campus.
Whoever gave you this info needs a slap.

:mad:
Did you ever here of Gea Johnson the recent Olympician?
She's Mormon and a graduate of ASU.
There are MANY others little brother.:)
Next time if youre gonna dissed someone get w me first, ok?;)
Lastly,they'reactually OK people, as a whole, they dont try and force their religion on you.

Your friend-
DB9
:)

Angela Harlem said:

i heard it from a friend. Bretheren religion? i never heard of that. wow, seems like a drastic religion there. i do know that they aren't allowed to watch some movies here. i remember back in 9th grade of Junior High, it was the end of the school year and i was in my english class an we were trying to pick a movie to watch. i chose Forrest Gump but these red-readed mormon twin girls(who i thought were cute an lived behind me at the time) said "oh we can't watch that". it was rated PG-13, c'mon so what if Forrest was makin out with that girl. Should feel happy for him, lol.

i'm sure there are some mormons who won't, because of their mascot. in every religion there's those who take it to extremes, like those who boycott k-mart, etc. because they think the ceo is a devil worshipper or something. i hear this stuff all the time and my best friend in florida refused to go to k-mart because she heard their owner or something was a satanist. her mom believed this and everything. there's some freaky people out there...

Even more amusing is Texas Christian University's nickname, the Horned Frogs (for those of you who don't know, demons that have the appearence of horned frogs appear in Revelation).

Actually, a "horned frog" is the common name for a lizard that lives in sandy soils/warm, dry climates from the Florida panhandle to the Texas plains. Another name for it is the "horney toad" which probably would not go over well at a Church of Christ institution such as TCU.

It is indeed a lizard (not even an amphibious reptile at that; frogs are amphibians), but is named "frog" because of it's wide, flat, fat head. And it is "horned" or "horney" beacuse of its spindly neck and back, much like the stegasaurus of dinosaur days.

htodyflo.jpg

On an unrelated note, the Red Elephants of Alabama now employ the former head football coach of the Horny Toads of TCU.

-R.E. Stanislaus

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:

uh...i have i friend who's lds, and i don't think any of that is really true anymore. it may have been before, but not now. she cuts her hair, and she works. she has clothes that were factory made. we watched tv, we listened to the radio...and she certainly wasn't in church 8 times...there was a whole lot of yanking going on, methinks.

I didn't think the LDS (Latter Day Saints) were the same?

But anyways, I dont know anything except what this guy told me and he was a 16 yo with an alcohol problem...so I didnt put much stock in it.

Angela Harlem said:
I didn't think the LDS (Latter Day Saints) were the same?

But anyways, I dont know anything except what this guy told me and he was a 16 yo with an alcohol problem...so I didnt put much stock in it.

They are the same Angela
:)

db9

No, she is talking about LDS/Mormons and "the Brethren" not being the same, NOT LDS and Mormons not being the same.

And to clarify some confusion re: "Brethren"

There is a Christian denomination known as "Brethren" which is like the Congregationalists, Church of Christ-Pilgrims, etc. that is rather mainline. I think that is what most of the people many of you know belong to.

The "Brethren" cult that Angela Harlem refers to is mostly a group of kids with short hair and long bushy beards who ride around on bicycles and judge people. They look like people who I often see at Widespread Panic concerts, only the wear geeky clothes. They leave their parents and generally frown upon non-Brethren. ANd they have nothing to do with the mainline Brethren denomination.

~U2Alabama

yeah, i've never heard of 'em either. my friend is mormon (lds). and origionally, mormons were the ones being discussed...i was a bit confused. thanks for clearing me up, bama!

Back
Top Bottom