Did You Know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen similar sites before. The images are often use to counter the argument that the United States has always been a secular nation, and not a "Christian" nation.

It's a little bit scary but I already heard of stuff like that before. Religious, especialy Christians and Jews, always had a good place into USA's politics...

A bunch of selective nonsense. The Supreme Court building was...(drum roll please)...built between 1932 and 1935. That's hardly proof that this was founded as a "Christian nation."

James Madison isn't exactly a poster child for religion. He not only was staunchly opposed to tax exempt statuses for religion, but also had the following to say:

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not." - James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

"Experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of religion, have had a contrary operation. During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution." - James Madison, "A Memorial and Remonstrance", 1785

Secondly, that supposed quote from James Madison in support of the Ten Commandments is a hoax.

http://members.tripod.com/~candst/misq1.htm

Patrick Henry's quote in favor of religion in society is in keeping with his character, but his opinion was a minority opinion not taken seriously by the majority of the Founding Fathers. They had religious fanatics 200 years ago, just like we have today.

Melon

There is an excellent post by dreadsox on this subject (well researched) that underscores the Christian roots of the United States. I can't search right now, but I will post the link later.

nbcrusader said:
Interesting version of history you learn over there....

the land wasn't stolen in various sundry forms from the Native Americans by Europeans who were largely Christian?

i admit that's a bit of a simplification, but isn't the above point essentially true?

Back
Top Bottom