Did You Assault The Vice President? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Did You Assault The Vice President?

You can't say that to the VP in the United States of America? Assuming he did say that (or words to that effect, as it says in the article) and didn't threaten him in any way-how can you legally be arrested for that? Maybe I'm just naive about the legalities. Assault? Is that supposed to be some sort of verbal assault? Then they called it harassment. Is that harassment?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...039230,00.html

Old 10-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What he quoted himself as saying doesn't sound like a threat to me. But I don't know why we should trust that what he quoted himself as saying is actually what he said.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Cheyne can Kiss My Ass. Even God dislikes him if he almost had a heart attack and need heart surgery a few years ago.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I have no idea what the law in the US is. Certainly in Canada this doesn't amount to an assault. Not under our Criminal Code or civilly.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Denver Post
"I was handcuffed and arrested in the presence of my young son for simply telling Mr. Cheney that his policies in Iraq are reprehensible," said Howards, an environmental consultant and former director of the Regional Air Quality Council in 1986-1991.

[Secret Serivce Agent Virgil] Reichle refused to comment and referred all media inquiries to his boss, Agent-in-Charge Lon Garner, who failed to return phone calls.
About 10 minutes later, Howards and his 8-year-old son were walking back through the square when Reichle allegedly walked up to Howards and asked him whether he had assaulted the Vice President. "He came out of the shadows," Howards said. "He didn't accuse me but asked me if I had assaulted Cheney. I said no, he grabbed me and handcuffed me behind my back in front of my son. As he led me away, I told him I can't abandon my son. He said he'd call social services." Howards said Reichle told him he was being charged with the felony crime of assaulting the Vice President. An Eagle County sheriff's deputy drove him to jail, where Howards' wife bonded him out three hours later.

Howards eventually was charged with harassment, a misdemeanor crime, which Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert dropped on July 6. "We filed a motion to dismiss the charge because we didn't think we could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt because we had gotten word that the Vice President did not wish to prosecute Howards," Hurlbert said Monday. "Originally, he was going to be charged with assault because the information we got from Secret Service was that he had pushed the Vice President. We learned later that it had been only verbal."
It does seem a bit odd--you'd think that if he'd done anything remotely "assault"-like, they'd have been all over him in an instant, not 10 minutes later.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

It does seem a bit odd--you'd think that if he'd done anything remotely "assault"-like, they'd have been all over him in an instant, not 10 minutes later.
Exactly!!!

And we still have those that refuse to acknowledge the abuse of power this admin displays.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Exactly!!!

And we still have those that refuse to acknowledge the abuse of power this admin displays.
And those who refuse to believe the story of every single person out there who doesn't have evidence to support his/her claim.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

And those who refuse to believe the story of every single person out there who doesn't have evidence to support his/her claim.
I'm not saying every story out there is true, but how many have we heard like this? Quite a bit. How many did we hear in previous admin? Very few to none.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I'm not saying every story out there is true, but how many have we heard like this? Quite a bit. How many did we hear in previous admin? Very few to none.
Are you kidding me?

Whitewater?

Vince Foster?

Rose Law Firm scandal?

The Hillar Clinton White House Firings?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
War Child

Hmmm...I always thought assault meant you actually attempted to hurt someone physically, not hurt their feelings.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Are you kidding me?

Whitewater?

Vince Foster?

Rose Law Firm scandal?

The Hillar Clinton White House Firings?
Ok, yeah, you aren't getting the point. I'm talking about everyday citizens getting arrested, investigated, or being censored at public speakings because of dissent.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Ok, yeah, you aren't getting the point. I'm talking about everyday citizens getting arrested, investigated, or being censored at public speakings because of dissent.
You were talking about abuse of power. I gave you examples of alleged abuses of power by the Clinton admin.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

What does any of this have to do with whether an assault was committed?

Google the Colorado Criminal Code, you should have your answer in 2 minutes flat. And I'm willing to bet the answer is a big, fat NO.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You were talking about abuse of power.
Context 80's context!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Even God dislikes him if he almost had a heart attack and need heart surgery a few years ago.
This has nothing to do with the point of the thread, but you honestly believe heart attacks and heart problems mean God dislikes someone? Whoa. I've had a minor heart problem, I guess God doesn't like me either.

I don't understand how saying something and pushing the VP could be mixed up like that. Hmmm. The Secret Service can certainly distinguish between the two. So why did they even file the harassment charge? Stating an opinion is not harassment, if that really is all he said.