Did they find Noah's Ark in Iran? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:35 AM
He was in a boat but I always thought he was thrown out before he was eaten by a whale. I think the boat is just there to make the picture funnier.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:35 PM
I did post a link to the first 2 chapters of Jonah

no boat is right

i guess i got duped

this must be the actual photograph

Old 07-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Seriously diamond, this is your counter argument?

I guess we should all be ignorant and unlearnt
You can’t really do a theological analysis if you are stuck with a worldly view of knowledge. Go back and read 1 Corinthians 18-25 for a better picture of what diamond was stating.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #94
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

You can’t really do a theological analysis if you are stuck with a worldly view of knowledge.
That would mean we could never have any theological analysis.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 AM   #95
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:

That would mean we could never have any theological analysis.
Not true. To a Christian, knowlege not led by the Holy Spirit is useless to the Kingdom of God.

A non-believer cannot properly analyze the Bible. The presence of the Holy Spirit is required for understanding and applying Scripture to our lives. (Ephesians 1:17-18, Colossians 1:9) As a non-believer, the best Scripture can do is "make some sense" and hopefully help lead him/her to a place of faith.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #96
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Not true. To a Christian, knowlege not led by the Holy Spirit is useless to the Kingdom of God.

A non-believer cannot properly analyze the Bible. The presence of the Holy Spirit is required for understanding and applying Scripture to our lives. (Ephesians 1:17-18, Colossians 1:9) As a non-believer, the best Scripture can do is "make some sense" and hopefully help lead him/her to a place of faith.
So a non-literalist is a non-believer?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #97
Refugee

Local Time: 02:05 PM
Quote:

......What? What do you mean exactly by 'A non-believer cannot properly analyze the bible?' I was a believer, and had all the sacrements etc. and when I read the Bible back then, it made as much sense as it makes now as an Athiest.....none! Are you saying that the truely inspired and given the magical ability to overlook the critical flaws/contradictions/inconsistancies?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #98
The Fly

Local Time: 01:35 PM
A new theory assumes that the Mediterranean, the Sea of Marmara, and the Black Sea were all landlocked bodies at one time. Following the Ice Age some 18,000 years ago, melting glacier ice made the Mediterranean rise tremendously, then flooded first the Sea of Marmara and later, with a gigantic burst at the Bosphorus, rushed all over the Black Sea. Such is supposed to have occurred some 7,500 years ago and might well have been the time of ’The Flood’.

I've never read this, but I would think that monotremes being burrowing animals, would be much earlier survivors of a cataclysm like a meteor strike that wiped out mainly land dwelling dinosaurs. Amphibians, fish & strictly underwater creatures, crocodilians & some creatures of flight may have survived.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

I'm curious, I work with a brilliant woman who is a biblical scholar and Jewish. Is she categorized as a non-believer?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

I'm curious, I work with a brilliant woman who is a biblical scholar and Jewish. Is she categorized as a non-believer?
She sounds like a very educated and faithful person. It sounds like she is a believing Jew. I was referring to someone being a Christian or non-Christian.

As a Christian, we believe that God has poured the Holy Spirit into our hearts at the moment we accept Christ as our Savior. Without accepting Christ, there is no indwelling Holy Spirit. And where there is no indwelling Holy Spirit - there is limited ability to understand and apply Scripture (which included the New Testament - something Jews do not accept as canon).

You and your friend are entitled to disagree of course.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:

As a Christian, we believe that God has poured the Holy Spirit into our hearts at the moment we accept Christ as our Savior. Without accepting Christ, there is no indwelling Holy Spirit. And where there is no indwelling Holy Spirit - there is limited ability to understand and apply Scripture (which included the New Testament - something Jews do not accept as canon).

I don't think it's fair to say "as a Christian". Various denominations will disagree with how the Holy Spirit works and the extent of it's influence. To be a Christian, you accept God's grace through Christ, period. The rest is all theology - humans attempting to define the nature of God.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

I think AEON is simply speaking of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit - a fairly universal core belief for Christians.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:22 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I think AEON is simply speaking of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit - a fairly universal core belief for Christians.
Yes, the HS itself, and Trinity is universal, but I have a different view of how it works than what he posted, so that's why I said maybe he shouldn't be claiming that's what all Christians believe.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #104
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

The rest is all theology - humans attempting to define the nature of God.
I wish more people would understand this.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I wish more people would understand this.
Me too. I love theology and all, but I know at the end of the day (or end of the world), it's based on human interpretations of Scripture and how individuals characterize the nature of God, often based on hidden or obvious personal agendas.

AEON believes that the Holy Spirit is poured into the heart of the person at the moment s/he accepts Christ as Savior. I believe that the Holy Spirit is ever-present and universally available (we Calvinists come to this conclusion based on General Revelation) and that the Holy Spirit is actually what helps brings a person to accept Christ in the first place.

So, like I said, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which one, if any, is correct, because in either case, there is acceptance of Jesus. But then you can use phrases like "as Christians" or "we Christians" when you really are only speaking for yourself and representing an individual interpretation of how the Holy Spirit works.