did the media go too far with this story?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
ok, little background: Two girls [ages 16 and 17 so they are minors] were abducted and raped by a man in California before the police caught him and killed him.

So the story was then all over the news. People magazine ran a story of the girls on their cover. The girls showed up with their families on the Today show. Police involved in the case and a boyfriend of one of the girls showed up on Larry King's show. And this was all within a week of the abduction. [In most cases, a person who is raped is not identified by name by the media.]

I believe that if you are a rape victim, you shouldn't be ashamed. But it seems like these girls were being hounded by the media as soon as they got home. Journalists knew who they were because they received the girls names and photos before the fact they were raped was reported.

Personally, I think if these girls wanted to talk about this case after a few months have passed or they are able to do with what happened to them and they want to prove you don't have to be ashamed then more power to them. But I think they're in shock and denial about what happened and haven't been able to deal with what happened to them yet-- and are being taken advantage of while they are in this extremely vulnerable position.

So the fact that these girls were on these shows and in these magazines-- was it the girls proving they don't have to be ashamed they were raped, were they trying to get attention and their 15 minutes of fame or was it the media taking advantage of two girls in a vulnerable position?

I live in the Southern Calif. area where this happened and one of our local stations reported that one of the girls approached them saying she wanted to speak out (this was the day after she was rescued). With her parents approval, she gave an on-camera interview.

From what I have seen, the girls aren't being hounded but have been very willing to be interviewed. I think they are very brave and applaud them for doing so but I don't know if I would have done the same thing had it been my daughter.

some studies show that quite a large percentage (especially younger) people feel more comfortable talking about very personal issues on tv than in a one on on confrontation

I don't know
I don't think the media should cover it this way

I agree with all of you-- we can't ignore rape or make those who are raped feel shame for what has happened to them. But at the same time, while I've not been raped I have been through traumatic experiences in my life. And after only a few days I was still in too much shock and denial to fully understand what happened to me. So why couldn't the media allow these girls to deal with what happened to them privately? Why were reporters hanging out in front of the girls' homes? Why would any parent allow their daughter to talk on camera to complete strangers around the country about this traumatic experience?

I would highly recommend reading the Salon article but I also would suggest you read these two columns from an LA Times writer.

Kidnapped by a Rapist One Day, and by TV the Next
http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-me-lopez7aug07.column

Let's Not Make a Spectacle of Rape Victims' Recovery Time
http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-me-lopez14aug14.column

Last edited:
I think both perspectives are right. Like BAW said if they are willing to deal with this publicly, not only all the power to them, but a thankyou and more support to them for educating and spreading awareness.

My personal opinion regarding the media is not all that favourable. I think in most cases the media are disgusting in the pursuit of selling a story with the false facade of 'giving news'. It makes me sick. Sensationalism is rampant in the media and then they have the hide to complain about their bad reputation. What the hell is wrong with telling things just like it is. Perhaps there is not as much money in it.

Well, theyre not actually children...

But yeah, the media did go too far. They always do lately. Its disgusting. They might get agents,etc, due to all this. Sick. :rolleyes:
It is odd that they would get over being raped so easily. They act as though nothing happened. Not that I'd want a huge dramatic speech(barf), but its just pretty odd.
I was nearly raped recently, and if i was asked to be on camera, i'd prolly refuse. But if i did go public, I'd be spitting mad, and be glad the *sshole was dead.

Last edited:
J-- the problem is that they HAVEN'T gotten over it so easily -- they haven't been able to come to terms with it yet and journalist saw that loophole and took advantage of it. [and sorry for your own situation]

I guess the reason I first posed this question is because I'm torn. I think they should tell their story so people will stop attaching this stigma to rape. But I don't think they should do it now and I find it totally irresponsible of some journalists who take advantage of that. In all honestly, I myself am a journalist and while I disagree with what these journalists did, I can see how they can reasonably justify telling the story.

I can totally relate to these girls. I was kidnapped and raped. I don't feel ashame for what happened to me. I never played the victim nor have I ignored what happened to me. Throughout my years I have made it my business to talk to ppl about rape and talking to others who have been raped. I don't know, maybe I was strong willed to have allowed myself to be open about it. Other ppl pity me (which I hate) and others feel uncomfortable (which they shouldn't). When ppl hide it, they feel shamed and a trauma that may carry on the rest of their lives. I didn't go to couseling and refuse it take over my life. I do think about it here and there, but I have since forgave them and moved on. I know that sounds outrages, and it probably is, but it has allowed me to be stronger and move on with my life. I know many victims who still haven't let it go. It's sad to see that they can't move on let alone be close to another man (this person went through this about 15 years ago, while another went through it 8 years ago). I don't mean to put anyone down, but again, I saw the opportunity to speak out. I didn't have a whole lot of media, I think it has to do with all the kidnapping and child murders and rapes at this time. I didn't do any interviews and not one reporter brought out the story. Maybe it was a good thing. Maybe it was just not to be me.

Last edited:
What i think is absured after reading the articles and all the replys is the mindset that only women get raped!

And i know all of you will say well i dont mean that but if you read replys and the articles you will see. 1 in 6 women are sexually asaulted, how many men are?

bonoman said:
What i think is absured after reading the articles and all the replys is the mindset that only women get raped!
yeah i know. :slant:

there was that movie (eww yes i know) with demi moore and i think michael douglas where she essentially raped him and pinned it on him. people don't think men get raped but they do. :(

oh, and j33-3 and jala, i'm sorry you had to go through such a horrible ordeal. people are just sick, really. :( *hugs*

Angela Harlem said:
My personal opinion regarding the media is not all that favourable. I think in most cases the media are disgusting in the pursuit of selling a story with the false facade of 'giving news'. It makes me sick. Sensationalism is rampant in the media and then they have the hide to complain about their bad reputation. What the hell is wrong with telling things just like it is. Perhaps there is not as much money in it.

There is such a thing as the public interest, but I do agree that some media outlets go too far in sansationalising bad things befalling people. However, you can't pin this accusation on all of the media. Codes of ethics do exist and most journos respect these codes and what they stand for. The reporting of suicides is one example where usually the media leave them well alone at the request of families/authorities etc, unless of course the person or circumstances involved are signigicant or extraordinary enough for the public to have a right to know. I don't think there's ever a 'false facade' of bringing news to the public, theres just the issue of what is news versus what will sell...

Last edited:
Dan you know this is one sure fire thing we could argue on for hours lol.
Yes the code of ethics exists but how is the general public to know when that has been breached in regard to not necessarily false media representation but more in general sensationalism? I would agree that most journos will try and stick to the basic truth, but how many newspapers print articles over there that are more like a Woman's Day story? With any news story there are multiple angles they could take, its just that there is a difference between 'selling' the news and representing it.

How can a woman possibly rape a man???
I can see how he might be tricked into believeing she loves him only to have her dump him after sex and then accuse him of the rape, is that what everyone is talking about?
Cuz I cant see how a woman could physically rape a guy. I know about Lorena Bobbitt...That kind of sexual assault.

Miss MacPhisto said:
How can a woman possibly rape a man???
I can see how he might be tricked into believeing she loves him only to have her dump him after sex and then accuse him of the rape, is that what everyone is talking about?
Cuz I cant see how a woman could physically rape a guy. I know about Lorena Bobbitt...That kind of sexual assault.

I could be mistaken but Bonoman could possibly mean a man being sexually assaulted by another man...if I'm wrong about that I appologize.

Back
Top Bottom