Did Anyone Watch "Frontline" Last Night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
I was flipping through the channels last night and came upon this show about foster parents and such. It hit upon one family in particular, a mother and her 2 daughters, Logan and Bailey. They had gone to live with their 4th foster family in as many years, and the older daughter Logan ended up being killed by her foster mother. The scary thing is, the foster mother had worked for the organization that was meant to help these children and families. :|

All I kept thinking was, what a sad little life this child had. She was only 5 years old, it just broke your heart. They showed video of her "raging" as they called it, and it was just so sad.

My question is, why do they not screen these people who go into these sorts of jobs better? This is a child's health and welfare here, and it just seems like so much bullshit to let this happen, to let these little kids be so unhappy. Maybe I'm just naive, but it really pisses me off.

Here's the link, for those who didn't watch it.
http://www.pbs.org/previews/2002fall/fron_logan.html

Part of the problem is the ratio of staff to clients. Too many over worked and underfunded organisations trying to fix one massive problem.
I may get flamed for this, but I always find it sad too, that we hear about 1 case that has such a terrible end, but never the 1000's that are successful. Welfare workers and their agencies are slammed by the media and are political footballs.
:|

I would agree with Angela.

Unfortunately, most of the government agencies like this are underfunded and understaffed because of it. The poor people simply don't have the funds to screen everyone as closely as they should.

I used to work with the Department of Children and Family Services in my hometown... it was heartbreaking at times, but then there were so many stories of people just wanting to love children and the children just wanting someone to love... and it's those cases that don't get enough attention.

auch, i hate hearing about children being tormented and killed by an irresponsible adult society. we adults suck.

Angela Harlem said:
Part of the problem is the ratio of staff to clients. Too many over worked and underfunded organisations trying to fix one massive problem.
I may get flamed for this, but I always find it sad too, that we hear about 1 case that has such a terrible end, but never the 1000's that are successful. Welfare workers and their agencies are slammed by the media and are political footballs.
:|

Well said. :up:

I think screening is difficult too, because a person with no criminal record or any known history of violence can turn around and do something horrible the next day. Sadly, you're always going to have at least one psycho in the bunch, no matter what measures are taken.

Back
Top Bottom