Describe your religiousness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gabrielvox said:
The bible does teach that homosexuality is wrong and that those who practice it unrepentedly will perish on God's day of judgement. It says that about a multitude of other sins as well.

"Homosexuality," as in the idea that they are a distinct sexual class, is an 1874 concept. The Bible does not condemn this, because, prior to 1874, it is believed that straight people just whimsically committed homosexual acts. You may ask yourself, "Why would they think this?"

The world of 2000+ years ago is very much different to today. Both Ancient Greek and Ancient Hebrew have words that have either no English translation at all or a very clumsy translation to a concept that no longer exists. That is very much the case for so-called anti-homosexual passages. Sodom and Gomorrah, for instance, is not a condemnation of homosexuality, as often misinterpreted. It is a violation of the Jewish custom of hospitality to strangers, which was very much valued. God smote Sodom and Gomorrah not because of sex, but because the entire city went out of their way to insult Lot in the greatest manner possible--by attacking his guests. Sex is not the point of this passage, as Lot voluntarily offers to give the mob his virgin daughters--they are not his "guests." This passage is mirrored in Judges with the city of Gibeah, where a mob also steps at someone's door, and they raped and killed a female concubine. If this really had to do with sex, then Gibeah would be a pronouncement against heterosexuality.

In both the Old and the New Testament, there is the problem of temple cult rituals, where worshippers would have mass orgies with the temple priests. It was believed that, through these sexual orgies in the temple, that they would get closer to the gods. Since this is a very foreign concept that has long been forgotten, words for these rituals and the "male temple prostitutes" are often mistranslated as "homosexuality." The male prostitutes were not homosexual; they had sex with both men and women in the temple orgies. St. Paul's reference to the prostitutes were generally in anger to idolatry.

This is also a likely origin for Christianity's sexual hang-ups, since often they merely did the exact opposite of what pagan religions did. If pagans believed that sex brought us closer to the gods, then, automatically, Christians believed that celibacy would bring us closer to God.

This is a complex concept that has nothing to do with modern knowledge of sexual orientation.

Melon

Interesting points Melon.

I ask tho, just in reading the passages, *some* opinion offered:

- what is the interpretation of 'men who lie with men', condemned several time in Scripture? Not sure if this was in the context of a pagan rituals..

- God didnt smite Sodom (if you believe he did at all) because of inhospitality - dang thats a pretty harsh God! He smote it because it had sunken to a level of depravity that made it the worst place on earth - homosexual, heterosexual, idolatry, offering babies as sacrificies to pagan gods, whatever acts all included. None were any better or any worse. The angels were sent, not to test the Sodomites hospitality, but to warn Lot and his family that they'd better get the heck out of there or they'd be killed too. Lot wasn't attempting to appease the hospitality rules, he knew the two angels were from God and as such the designs of the crowd were an abomination to him. If it had been a mob of angry horny females his distaste would have been the same I would imagine. It is interesting to note that not even sex with two young virgins could have pacified those men. I would hazard, following the complete story, that this incensed God even further. It was illicit sexual depravity of any kind that had plunged these cities, Sodom, Gomorrah, and Gibeah into God's disapproval that was the point of these fables, not hospitality.

- Again, I don't believe St Paul's reference to be mainly about idolatry. To me it was more about depraved sexual acts that had been deemed immoral (het/homosexual/whatever) happening in God's house. Thats more like disrespectful abomination than idolatry.

I think tho that I will leave it at that as Im simply relating what I read when I read certain passages, not necessarily what I believe myself. And this thread is more about people stating their affiliations and beliefs than discussing minute details of scripture, which I myself have been known to fall into..:silent:

And will restate that I think that using Christianity as an excuse to abuse anyone based on what they do in terms of sexual behavior is just plain wrong.

Last edited:
I actually wrote a whole response to this...

...but I have decided not to post it here, because I don't want to derail this thread. I would have PM-ed it to you if you were a Premium Member, but, alas, you aren't. If you're interested in reading it, post your e-mail address I guess, and I'll get back to you.

Overall, though, the idea that sexual sin is the worst of them all is a modern construct. Idolatry was on the top of their list in the polytheistic world of 2000 years ago.

Melon

Hey Melon,

Im sure I would be very interested to read your response, as I have always enjoyed your thoughts on religion etc.

Unfortunately I can't post my email address up here as the last time I did I experienced some 'issues'. :silent:

I'm working on the Premium thingy tho...stay tuned..

gabrielvox said:
Hey Melon,

Im sure I would be very interested to read your response, as I have always enjoyed your thoughts on religion etc.

Unfortunately I can't post my email address up here as the last time I did I experienced some 'issues'. :silent:

I'm working on the Premium thingy tho...stay tuned..

LOL...I understand. I'm too scared to post mine myself. ;)

Melon

The green smiley is me during meditation

SkeeK said:
Basically I'm just wondering about some things such as what you believe. agnostic? humanist? perhaps you worship Loki? If you are part of an 'organized' religion... how often do you go to church (or it's equivalent)? how do you feel about churches? how closely do you follow the bible/how literally do you interpret it? what caused you to be the way you are spiritually? If you could mention your age too, that would be helpful.

Quoting the above so I'll remember what the questions are...

In labelling myself, I am Roman Catholic with tendencies toward some Eastern religions and practices, especially hatha yoga and Buddhism.

I go to church in spurts. I rarely miss midnight mass at Christmas, Ash Wednesday, or any part of Holy Week. (I consider Lent my favorite "holiday." :) ) As for the rest of the time, I find that my biggest obstacle in getting to church is not being married to a Catholic. When I first met my husband, he considered Catholicism to be some kind of Bizarro World. Now he's more open to it, but he is still not Catholic and is not really motivated to go with me. And I find it difficult to go to church by myself, for some reason. But the time I spend away from church is quite religious and spiritual for me, which makes up for not going...in my mind, anyway. Almost every night I meditate, I read from a book entitled "Lives of the Saints" and say the specific saint's prayer for the day, and then I pray thoroughly (I run the gamut of topics) as I lie in bed. I have also been known to pray the occasional rosary outside of church.

In regard to the Bible, it is my belief that much of the Bible is to be interpreted symbolically rather than literally. I do not claim to have read the whole thing by any means, but I am working on it. The Catholic Church believes in many things that are outside the realm of the Bible, and that's great by me. I have a hard time with people/religions who take the Bible one hundred percent literally and have a Bible verse to back up any agenda they might have. (No offense, it's just true that I have a problem with it.) I certainly do not adhere to all the moral guidelines that many people take from the Bible. (For instance, I use birth control.) I especially think that people pick and choose the guidelines they want and conveniently forget about the other ones. It has also been my experience that the ones who are trying so hard to condemn everyone else would find it much more useful to focus on their own behavior. It may seem like I'm on a tangent here, but when I think of the Bible, it often makes my skin crawl because of all the people I've seen using the Bible to further their own political, social, or moral agendas. It is such a controversial book, but I am doing my best to understand it.

What caused me to be the way I am? Here's the evolution. I was born into the Roman Catholic Church. I voluntarily was confirmed in high school. About a year later, I became disillusioned with religion because of all the atrocities throughout history that have been committed in the name of God, Allah, etc., especially by my own church. I reconciled this by recognizing that churches are run by people, and we are by nature fallible. In college I took a course where we read St. Augustine's Confessions in Latin. Everyone in the course, from Catholics to Jews to Quakers, was deeply affected by this book, including me. If I hadn't been engaged to be married, I would have explored becoming a nun, so inspired was I by Augustine. Around that time, I also became interested in yoga and its philosophies. Now, a few years later, I incorporate the eightfold path of yoga and what I know of Buddhism into my Catholicism. I live by the yamas and niyamas (ten dos and don'ts, or commandments, of yoga) in addition to the ten commandments of the Bible. I find Buddhist meditation and teachings to be a powerful means of connecting with the divine and understanding my own humanness. I usually even offer up my meditation practice as a prayer for someone or something. I thank God for giving me yoga and meditation, because I feel that they are just more tools given by Him to provide me opportunities to feel His presence, worship Him in another way, and contribute peace to the universe. So far, the tenets of yoga and Buddhism have only complemented and enhanced my Catholicism, although I am sure that on some technical levels there are irreconcilable philosophical differences.

I guess that's why I am all about letting people have their own religions so long as they don't force their religions/beliefs on others. Religion for me is a private affair, and I have no authority to convince people that my way is the only right way. If I am to convert people, it must be through example, not force or missionary work, which I find appalling. I sure have rambled a lot, so Skeek, I hope you've found some of this interesting or enlightening. I conclude with OM and Amen! :D

I'm 26 years old.

By the way, I've enjoyed reading everyone else's experiences and philosophies. Great thread.

Last edited:
amna said previously (in a previous post on this thread)
I'm a Shia muslim... I try to study more about it every day, becuase there is so much to learn... I attend gatherings at the center almost every week... Learning, and praying gives me more patience with life... It is a beautiful religion and every rule and story in the quran makes sense...
Amna, 21

what a coincidence, i just found out that "Shia" muslims are in a small region in the south of iraq! so there must be a lot[/] to learn about the other sects, such as sunni and shiite(or are they really too far away to CARE about, little female islamic studier, who must bow and pray at least as many times as a male[/] shia muslim (is it five times for the male in shia islam?) and then has to bang her head on the ground to show humiliation! that must be a great religion to practice! (the foregoing is an actual statement, not a cut down or disrespectul thing in anyway, ok, please don't think i don't think that shia does not have validity in the eyes of Allah, because the god of the muslims is NOT the god of the Christians, be they Presbyterian or Catholic (holy and universal ;)) or the Lutherans..."YahweH", little islamic studier, is the Jewish (or Hebrew) god and Allah is some demon that infected your leader, like Adam Smith or whover is the founder of the Mormons here in the States. Does that look clear to you?

If not, go see the verse in the Quaran that refers to the way G-d speaks to His People, the jews, formerly of Judah, LOL!! (and partially Israel, except they got carted off by the Syrians even before the ancestors of the current iraqies took the residents of Judah, a very sad 70 years, but, alas, to return to Jeruslam...:huh:

is Melon disgusted now?

I am sorry, i will cease and desist, here. (hey, you are right, Sicy!)

What a terrific moderator, we have here, paying attention to the "refugee" status members, who REALLY are New Yorkers, had not several hundred threads dissappeared over the summer:shrug:

DebbieSG said:
What a terrific moderator, we have here, paying attention to the "refugee" status members, who REALLY are New Yorkers, had not several hundred threads dissappeared over the summer:shrug:

Lord knows that's what is really important. One's member status on a message board.

DebbieSG said:
is Melon disgusted now?

Since you brashly inserted my name in here for no particular reason, but to ASSume that I complained (when I didn't), allow me to ask you a question that everyone here in Interference.com is too cowardly to ask.

What is wrong with you?

Writing racist threads, insulting other peoples' religions, and, most confoundingly, formulating incoherent threads that no one can decipher but yourself.

I remember you a year or so back. We did disagree on several subjects, but you always wrote very intelligently, and I was quite sorry to see you go. Then you return, and with this kind of stuff! Are you the same person? Are there multiple people using your screenname? You either need to clean up your act or get professional help--your choice.

I am a very patient man myself, but when you start involving me in all this for no reason, expect me to bite back.

Melon

Sicy said:
She wont be answering your question melon.

Ah...then I can only guess what her fate was.

Anyhow, this is still a great thread. Let's move on with the original purpose of this thread, shall we?

Melon

this is a very interesting thread!

I was raised Roman Catholic and am technically a full member of the church (I was confirmed and all that), but I generally consider myself to be agnostic. I believe it's possible that a supreme being exists but also possible that one doesn't. I only go to church on Christmas (because my whole family goes) and for funerals. I'm rather cynical of organized religion (sometimes I think it causes more problems than it's worth, and I can't stand how issues like gay rights and family planning get attacked by the religious right), but I have no problem with people who strongly hold genuine beliefs.

As for what caused me to become this way spiritually, that's kind of tricky. Even though I was raised Catholic, my family wasn't very religious. My dad never goes to church (I figure his beliefs are pretty close to mine, although we've never discussed it), and although my mom does attend church regularly religion was never stressed in our household. I've also become more skeptical of religion as I've progressed through my education, for example, reading parts of the Bible for a literature class was particularly enlightening in terms of seeing the Bible as a political work.

(Btw, I'm 20.)

Re: this is a very interesting thread!

Giant Lemon said:
I'm rather cynical of organized religion (sometimes I think it causes more problems than it's worth, and I can't stand how issues like gay rights and family planning get attacked by the religious right), but I have no problem with people who strongly hold genuine beliefs.

Nicely put...that's how I feel, too.

Angela

I presume when people say they believe in a God, they are talking about an omniscient, omnipotent, creator of the Universe. In this sense, I don't believe in a God because I don't think there is a creator or a universal consciousness looking after mankind or all of life for that matter. I do believe in the law of energy conservation, i.e. energy can not be created nor destroyed. Therefore, I view everything in our universe as a manifestation of this energy. This energy is what unites us all, not just human beings, but all of life. I'm not sure if this energy is finite or infinite, but it always gets recycled.

How did the universe get started? I don't think there was a beginning, what you see now has always been, just in a different form. I think our universe has gone through several big bangs and then reversed itself. I see it as one big cycle, where you have this extremely, dense, hot matter which explodes, but reaches a certain limit at which time it reverses. Where the end and beginning is arbitrary, it really is anywhere you want it to be. I think humans were formed from a chance combination of molecules, I know the probabilites of this are extremely slim. However, I think all the probabilities are explored and we only come to observe this slim probability because we wouldn't be around to observe the other ones.

I view spirituality or religion as an essential, otherwise there is no way to justify our existence. Truly, our time as human beings are finite and whatever we may accomplish will be meaningless on a longer time scale. As a result, it is absolutely necessary to link our finite existence to something that is immortal. For me, realizing myself as part of this energy gives me an escape from this finiteness conundrum.

As many have mentioned before me, human beings are essentially flawed. However, holding onto this as a crutch is pathetic. I think we should strive for perfection and I know we can get close to it if we really want to. Instead of being forgiven for sins, we don't have to sin in the first place. There are always choices, but if you stand by the truth there is no need to be forgiven. I suppose it gets a little bit tricky if your meaning of truth changes after time.

I grew up going to religious gatherings and to temple with my parents, but I didn't get much out of it because I never understood the language of the teachings. One thing that really bothered me about these gatherings was how everyone was so extravagently dressed with all this jewelry. I'm not sure if that's similar to the way it is in churches, but I saw this worldliness as a big hipocracy. In my mind, if you're going some place to observe something as grand as a God, you must let go of your own vanity first.

My mother is very religious and I'd like to say she's a Hindu but she's very much into Sikhism and Christianity also. At home, she used to perform many rituals but I thought it was a bunch of hokey stuff. It seemed very mythical and unrealistic, so I couldn't relate to it. The only way I can believe in something is if it is logical and intuitive. However, this does not mean I need proof of a God to believe in this entity in a classical sense. Because looking for any scientific evidence or proof of something infinite is self-defeating.

As for religious texts on God, I believe none of them are sacred. After all, they are created by humans and we tend to have different translations. This is not to say they are useless, because each one has some good advice to offer. I believe the main purpose of these books are to learn about some fundamental truths, and once you realize them the books hold no value. It's not just a matter of reading and hearing about them, but actually feeling and practicing them.

qball7200[/i] [B]One thing that really bothered me about these gatherings was how everyone was so extravagently dressed with all this jewelry. I'm not sure if that's similar to the way it is in churches said:
As for religious texts on God, I believe none of them are sacred. After all, they are created by humans and we tend to have different translations. This is not to say they are useless, because each one has some good advice to offer. I believe the main purpose of these books are to learn about some fundamental truths, and once you realize them the books hold no value. It's not just a matter of reading and hearing about them, but actually feeling and practicing them.

This makes sense.

Your whole post is interesting...you have some unique views on religion.

Angela

DebbieSG said:
...Allah is some demon that infected your leader, like Adam Smith or whover is the founder of the Mormons here in the States.

As a practicing member of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (a.k.a. "Mormons") I resent the above and its implications. Please show some respect for other people's beliefs and religion.

BTW, the man's name was Joseph Smith.

Back
Top Bottom